• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lets name the Spacestaion.

Adam

Beyond the rim
If you all read today's Zocalo Today at www.isnnews.net . There is an repost about this guy who is creating a campaign to name the Spacestation Babylon or Babylon 1. Hey if trekkies get to name an spaceshuttle we can too. Also JMS loves the idea too.

http://www.issbabylon.com
smile.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: (Hopefully more updated more when Crusade comes back!)
http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by Adam (edited June 16, 2001).]

Yeah I saw that about a month ago, it would definitely be awesome to look up at the sky and know the ISS Babylon was up there
cool.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Yes, that would be just brill!
Who do we need to e-mail to let them know how we feel?!
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
" Beauty in the midst of darkness."

It would definitely be a good name for a space station, associating with:

A. Our heritage (one of the oldest civilisations/cities in human histroy).
B. Building something together in spite of differences...
C. Hopes for finally reaching the stars, expressed in a certain TV show.
wink.gif

But there would also be a problem - I'd be worrying about it collapsing, being blown into tiny bits... or being stolen by someone called Jeff.
smile.gif

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

It may not be as impossible as some might think either....

From the site:

Subject: ABCNEWS.com Space Station poll results
Date: Fri, May 22, 1998 18:13 EDT

After reading a few comments on this newsgroup about ABCNEWS.com's "Name the International Space Station" poll, I bugged some folks at work to reveal what name came out on top:

Out of 12,518 votes cast, "Babylon" won with 18.2 percent of the vote! "Frontier" ran a close second at 17.1 percent. And "Babylon" easily beat the other SF-related entrants such as "Enterprise" (8%) and "Earth 2" (5.1%).

You can find the full results at: www.abcnews.com/sections/science/DailyNews/spacestation_name980510.html

The Science section producer says he *thought* someone was behind the strong surge in votes that put "Babylon" over the top. He did look at me funny when I said now it's doomed to explode before completion.

Faith manages, indeed.

-- Steve Mohundro
Assistant Producer, ABCNEWS.com
(Relatively new) B5 fan - as of TNT rebroadcast - and Lurker

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Since it is an international project, each country would have to agree to re-naming the station to "Babylon." It's an admirable crusade (pardon the pun), but I'm not holding my breath... besides, Babylons 1-3 were destroyed... not exactly the most fruitious of examples for a name.
smile.gif
I would get a kick out of it if they did rename Alpha to "ISS Babylon" though...

NASA couldn't even get all the contributing nations to agree on the names "Liberty" and "Freedom," as they thought they were too "American" for the station. (Never mind that NASA is contributing the most time and money to the project.)

Personally, I do like "Frontier" as a possible name. "Alpha" just sounds so sterile and boring!

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LondosHair:
NASA couldn't even get all the contributing nations to agree on the names "Liberty" and "Freedom," as they thought they were too "American" for the station. (Never mind that NASA is contributing the most time and money to the project.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the other partner countries ARE contributing both time, money and other resources to the project as well, so they should have a say in this... and I agree that both Liberty and Freedom sound *very* American.

Not just because of the meaning of the words (we do have liberty & freedom in the rest of the world, too!) but also because they're English language words.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Personally, I do like "Frontier" as a possible name. "Alpha" just sounds so sterile and boring!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frontier has the same problem as the above-mentioned... it's also a word in the English language. A truly international space station should have a name that the inhabitants of all participating countries understand.

Alpha is better than the others in that respect but it *is* boring. ISS Babylon does have the most pleasant ring about it - actually, the more I think about it, the better it sounds! And it's international and I imagine most participating countries, even if they don't use the exact same spelling, would have no problems grasping it. Plus it would build a nice bridge between the future and the past, the time of one of the oldest known civilizations.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

Considering that Babylon 5 is one of the most popular SF series _Worldwide_ right now, an international vote could make the margin for Babylon even Greater. after all, it'd be the One name that the people most likely to vote in every country have in common.
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I would have liked to see it named Starbase 1

------------------
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." -- Captain Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie (The Drumhead)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back