• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Let me end the silence...(some spoilers)

Faith manages.....let's pull together, and we'll get through this. Thank you, Mr. Neal for your courage and frank honesty.

------------------
What do you want?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Citizen DF:

Its so depressing that football, the most brainless of sports (sorry folks, my opinion) beat out such a wonderful, intelligent sci-fi movie like Legend of the Ranger.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found it more distressing that there were about 5 episodes of "Spongebob Squarepants" that got higher ratings.
crazy.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
^Interesting name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you.

------------------
"You are child of the universe, no less than the tree and stars, you have a right to be here, and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." --Les Crane--

This is depressing news. Not entirely unexpected, though.

[This message has been edited by breen (edited January 25, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I somehow don't think that SciFi would really appreciate snail-mail letters from Estonia.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, maybe not. I wrote them a letter about Crusade several years ago and they sent me a 'Thank you'-card. It was the last thing I expected, because I'm in Europe and unable to watch their programs - not even the English Scifi Channel.
frown.gif

But that card meant that they read the letters and cared enough to send some sort of reply.

Anyway, I'm going to look around for adresses and write a few letters...

------------------

Let me just say I'm just as much a B5 fan as anyone else is on this board it frustrated me to know a football game won out over Rangers and I didn't think before I posted the eaarlier message .I'm sorry if I offened anyone. Grovles onknees for forgiveness.

------------------

me or "Spongebob Squarepants" ?
never mind. i see.
------------------
"You are child of the universe, no less than the tree and stars, you have a right to be here, and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." --Les Crane--

[This message has been edited by *Sigh* (edited January 25, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
Let me just say I'm just as much a B5 fan as anyone else is on this board it frustrated me to know a football game won out over Rangers and I didn't think before I posted the eaarlier message .I'm sorry if I offened anyone. Grovles onknees for forgiveness.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No apology needed, Shaal Mayan. It's frustrating.

(I'm a football fan myself, but I skipped the game to see Rangers.)

It ain't all bad, though. If the execs take into account that a Rangers series wouldn't regularly air against NFL playoff games, there's still a fair shot.

As stated before, this isn't anything new to long time B5 fans. I've seen plenty of good ideas being thrown around in various topics. Maybe someone should create a thread to consolidate them?

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Personally I don't think anything we do will get a series if there isn't really a market for the show I'm starting to think it may be s waste of time and effort. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re-read what I said! Obviously there is a market, the West coast numbers prove that. I mean 3.2 in San Diego - Helloooo! There was much speculation before the show about whether sci fi fans were sporting fans, I think that question has been answered with finality.

This is what is so frustrating. Due to an error in programming our voice was cut short. Clearly the promotion worked,(San Diego), but we were simply put up against an insurmountable wall. The reaction to the show has been overwhelmingly positive, (just look at the poll here)and yet here we are having to jump through hoops again. Aye Carumba!

This whole programming fiasco is akin to buying a brand new car at the dealership, and then driving home in the biggest hailstorm of the decade....
crazy.gif

Then again, the best things in life never come easy.
laugh.gif

Dylan

------------------

Thank you, Dylan, for sharing this information with us.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
Personally I don't think anything we do will get a series if there isn't really a market for the show<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be true, but there isn't any reason to believe that this show is without a market. We do have reason to beieve that numbers which accurately reflect the market for "Rangers" are unavailable because of this unimaginable once-in-a-blue-moon football game that has drastically skewed the numbers.

That's why it becomes all important that we let Scifi know how we feel.

(I have to admit, as someone who has watched and loved every episode of B5 and Crusade, and was looking forward to this movie since JMS began hinting about it on USENET, I couldn't resist the call of the football game and recorded "Rangers")

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'm starting to think it may be a waste of time and effort.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me add my voice to the chorus of fellow members urging you to not let the ratings get you so down. I just started posting here today, so I'm unfamiliar with most of the people here. I looked at your profile and saw that you've posted an amazing 386 times! The time it would take to write a letter to Scifi is a rather miniscule investment in comparison, it would take just a few moments of your time. A few moments that have the potential for a really big payoff if successful! So don't let yourself fall into the trap of believing you can't make a difference. You can!

Banapis

Thanks for making me feel a little better I wish I could take back that awful post but I can't .As the end of s4 I believe says Faith Manages for the beginning of s5 about getting a fifth season .Hopefully sfc will defintely take that consideration into there final decision that it won't be airing opposite a football game we may get a chance.

------------------

I asked somewhere else if ratings take into account that you are taping on your VCR.

It seems to me that it might help to let SciFi know that you couldn't bear to miss LotR so you taped it to make sure you wouldn't miss it.

Second suggestion to have the network run the movie again in a few weeks against average programming and see what the results are.

Of course they couldn't guess it would be opposite the best football game of the year, but they could give it a second chance.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Oops. Sorry, Shaal Mayan, I didn't see your later reply. I guess you can disregard my earlier post too!

And it's good to see that your not feeling as down about the news. Right now, there's still hope.

If it ever becomes final that "Rangers" won't be going to a series I'll be pretty devastated too!

Banapis

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rashenn:
Anyway, I'm going to look around for adresses and write a few letters... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have my letter all written and it just needs an address to mail it. If anyone has the appropriate snail mail address to send my compliments and request for more, then please post it here. I cannot seem to find the previous posts with that information.
frown.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 25, 2002).]

Thanks for stopping by, Dylan! Your candor and enthusiasm is very appreciated!
smile.gif

Here's hoping for the best...

------------------
- Lars

hello

Forgive me if this has already been said or if it's too stupid of idea to even be thought but why doen't SCIFI air the movie again?
I don't think that it is THAT hard to change the schedule of another Saturday movie or any other time in the week? just do the necessary promoting and fans will know.
If the movie is shown again on a less-harmful day, we might, and in fact, we should stand a chance.
Maybe this will be done, or is being done at the moment but just my two cents.

Ms. Bonnie Hammer
President
Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

Tom Olson
VP, Advertising Sales
Sci-Fi Channel
New York, NY 10020

I don't know if Tom Olson is still the VP of advertising or not. This is pretty old information.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited January 25, 2002).]

Here's the address:

Ms. Bonnie Hammer
President
Sci-Fi Channel
New York, NY 10020-1513

Dylan:

Hang in there. Timing and things beyond our control can often screw us up, but in the cold light of day they have to realize that an NFL play-off game, in primetime, pulling record ratings, is tidal wave that is going to swamp a small boat like Rangers every time. I'm curious to know how the two encore airings did on the East Coast. (If I'd been a Neilsen household they would have shown me watching both the 9 PM and 11 PM airings, because I went back and watched it again after this site crashed.
smile.gif
)

Not at all in this league of disappointment, but I remember a similar experience, though on a much smaller and less important scale, obviously. I was a fun-raiser at my high school. Months in advance we booked prints of two classic Marx Bros. films to run in the auditorium, and lined up local businesses to donate prizes and advertising for our "Marx Bros. Costume Contest." (People in costume got in for half price.) The only ones who showed up for the event that Saturday night were the six organizers and the projectionist. The entire rest of the town was down at the local multiplex, watching a movie that had opened ealier the same week. A little picture you might have heard of. It was called Jaws.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hell2555:
hello

Forgive me if this has already been said or if it's too stupid of idea to even be thought but why doen't SCIFI air the movie again?
I don't think that it is THAT hard to change the schedule of another Saturday movie or any other time in the week? just do the necessary promoting and fans will know.
If the movie is shown again on a less-harmful day, we might, and in fact, we should stand a chance.
Maybe this will be done, or is being done at the moment but just my two cents.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, SFC may not have the option of airing it agin. It depends on the agreement worked out between SFC and WB, I think.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Forgive me if this has already been said or if it's too stupid of idea to even be thought but why doen't SCIFI air the movie again?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did air it again - twice, in fact. (11 PM ET/PT on Saturday, and 5 PM ET/PT on Sunday.)

However, neither those nor any subsequent airings could benefit from the huge advertising blitz that was devoted to the debut. (Which most certainly is not going to be repeated.) So it won't exactly be the same. The best we can probably hope for are some "in-house" ads on Sci-Fi and maybe USA to alert folks to a "special encore presentation" of Rangers.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Back