• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Joe Millionaire- sexist?

Well Hypatia, actually there are shows that exploit sick stereotypes of men. They usually have wrestling or monster truck in the title. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I find them degrading, but not in quite the same way, I admit.

Am I the only one on the board who watched this show? lol

Yes, they did really set all the women up as gold-diggers, but I think editing would have a lot to do with it. I think a lot of women, when meeting a man and confronted with a chateau, might make statements about princes and castles. This does not mean that I don't think those women aren't gold-diggers, and shallow. I mean, meeting someone to marry on a tv show? Get real. You'd have to be truly desparate, or have other motives, in order to do that. Same for the guy.

I did hear Evan say a couple of times he felt bad about lying about this money he doesn't have. Well, that's nice. If he really felt bad about it, I doubt he'd have signed up for this.

My mother used to date a guy who made considerably less money than she did. They ran into problems when he'd see the stuff my mother was able to buy for herself and me, and then expect her to buy him shiny new wheels for his truck or those reallly expensive RC racing cars. It doesn't work that way. I'm not against giving or receiving gifts, but I don't want to be buying someone everything they need/want, and I don't want anyone doing the same for me. In a way, yes, the amount of money is important, or at least your attitudes regarding it. You buy your toys with your money, I'll buy mine with my money. If I happened to meet someone wealthy, I would not expect him to buy me anything; it's not my money to use as I wish. This is what really annoyed me about a lot of those women, you could see they were expecting Evan to buy them all these cool things if they married him.

So your friend of a friend was degrading on national tv for a free trip, that doesn't change the fact that she put herself in that position so anything that happens to her is her own fault.

I completely agree that anything that happened to her was her own fault / responsibility. It is just that it seemed to me that in some of the posts I was seeing assumptions about the degree of greed of all of the "contestants" (willing to enter a loveless marriage to get their hands on the guys money) that weren't necessarily valid. So, I pointed that out.

I have friends in the Phoenix, Arizona area that regularly attend "information sessions" on products they have no intention of buying.

Why would they do this? For the "free" offers being made. Some of them are amazing.

Does that make them terrible people who can be humiliated without offending your moral conscious? I'd say that makes them smart consumers. They are willing to sit through a long, boring presentation just to get the special deal.

Should they be set up next for humiliation?

I can easily see why people might say "heck, I don't want to win this, I just want to get the freebies that go along with the ride".

I just can't wait until the first really shocking, major lawsuit gets going against these reality tv shows. Heck, if we have so many frivolous lawsuits these days, why has no "contestant" ever sued one of these shows?

They either have a lot of money to spread around, or they've been very lucky up to this point.

It's no wonder that I watch tv mostly for the news these days. Oh, and for classic movies.

To clarify:

What I meant by "whatever happens to them" was within the limits of what I have heard (and seen in commercials) has happened on the shows. There are limits, mostly with regard to physical safety.

However, if you agree to have TV cameras follow you around while dating, do on camera interviews about how the date went, etc. then you will just have to deal with the possibility that something embarassing that you say or do in front of the cameras, or something unflattering that someone else says about you, etc. could end up getting broadcast.

I just can't wait until the first really shocking, major lawsuit gets going against these reality tv shows. Heck, if we have so many frivolous lawsuits these days, why has no "contestant" ever sued one of these shows?

That's a good question that I put to my wife who just happens to be a lawyer. She said that more than likely these shows have a "non-litigation" or "waiver of non-liability" for the people involved to protect against just this sort of thing.

Once can't even begin to fathom the amount of documentation these people have to sign that pretty much guarentee that they can't sue no matter what happens to them.

When I went sky-diving, I had to sign papers that, in essence, said I couldn't sue no matter what happened, even if it was their fault or I died.

Now think how much more detailed and exhaustive are the anti-litigation papers TV show contestants sign.

If only we were so motivated with our Elementary Algebra students in college. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Only Hypatia could turn a thread about reality shows and sexism into a gripe about the education system and mathematics. *pokes Hyp teasingly*

Anyway, I don't watch reality shows (thankfully) but this one caught my interest when I saw the ads. I still haven't watched it but I did think it was funny how they seemed to be making fun of other reality shows with the whole deception part. I might watch the end just to see how they reveal the truth and what happens.

Hmm, maybe. I still don't like reality shows. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I know! In the commercials I saw, when dropping the Big Twist of the show about tricking the chicks, the narrator was all, "Now who would do a thing like that?"

The best way to describe how that guy sounded right then is to think of Harvy Keitel's character talking about Jodie Foster's when first meeting Deniro's in Taxi Driver.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back