• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS talks crusade

terrytvgal

Regular
OK, first off I didn't read the entire thread here debating the likelyhood of Crusade ever returning. I for one don't think it will and I've no urge to read a protracted debate when I'm not likely to change my thinking.

Perhaps this disclosure from JMS is discused or even quoted there and I didn't get to it. BUT for those of you who haven't seen this it is off of the -- rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated--
news group

I think it says it all.

Date: 19 Apr 2001 18:17:56 -0700
Lines: 129

Hello JMS,

Thanks for the longer then usual note. A couple quick questions:

(1) You mention "The best scripts of mine per se would probably be
the two that didn't get produced but which were made available
via bookface.com, To the Ends of the Earth and End of the Line."

Is there any chance at all of these being made available again in
some format in the future?

(2) I take the tone of your email to imply that there is ZERO chance
of Crusade ever making a come back. Is Crusades truly dead?
Or is there still a glimmer of hope someplace?

Later,
Carl

Jms at B5 wrote:

> >Now that you've had some time to put the battles you fought during the
> >production behind you, how do you feel what was produced of Crusade
> >turned out?
> >
> >What was your strongest episode?
> >
> >What was your weakest (ignoring War Zone)?
>
> I still think the first five produced were our best of the ones we shot, in
> terms of the ones I wrote. The best scripts of mine per se would probably be
> the two that didn't get produced but which were made available via
> bookface.com, To the Ends of the Earth and End of the Line. I think they
> would've kicked over the table and shown where the production, and the story,
> was going. They're also the ones I wrote after "Apperances," which is where I
> decided, "Fuck it, fuck TNT, fuck the notes, I'm just gonna go back to what I
> was doing for the first 5 and write what I want." I got pissed, and sometimes
> I write best when I'm angry about something.
>
> Weakest of my scripts...probably The Long Road, which started out as a good
> idea, and is still about 70% a good idea, but it's over-written and it
> feels...I dunno... stagey, somehow.
>
> You actually happened to hit me with this question on a reflective night, so
> I'm taking a bit more time than I normally would with this.
>
> I was talking to a friend recently, and I mentioned that in looking at the
> Crusade episodes on SFC, something about them bothers me...not the performers,
> who are all great, or the direction, which was generally quite good (with some
> lapses), but the writing. They didn't seem to me to have the same level of
> energy as B5.
>
> To which I was told, "You want to know the truth of it? I was glad when they
> shut down Crusade." Now, as you might expect, I was kind of taken aback by
> this, and asked for clarification and what this had to do with my original
> statement.
>
> The reply: "You were *exhausted*. You did five years of backbreaking work,
you
> were averaging 3-4 hours sleep a night if you were lucky, you lost your hair,
> your health, and a good-sized chunk of your sanity...you were *tired*. The
> best thing would've been if there had been a year break between B5 and
Crusade,
> to give you a chance to catch your breath. Would it have made a difference to
> TNT's decision? No. They changed their mind about the show based on their
new
> ratings surveys before you ever shot a frame of film. But you wouldn't be
> sensing that lack of energy in the episodes now.
>
> "Look at the stuff now: the Rising Stars screenplay is getting fast-tracked,
> the studio and the network love (title deleted until press release is issued),
> it's some of your best work ever, and Rangers has the energy that B5 always
> had, that Crusade didn't. It's still better than 95% of what's out there, but
> it's not you writing at the top of your top form."
>
> "So how come you didn't say this at the time?" I asked.
>
> "Because then you couldn't have heard it, wouldn't have listened. Now you
> can."
>
> Hearing something like that is very difficult, because we all like to think
> we're invulnerable. In retrospect, I think there's a measure of truth to it.
> Maybe more than a measure.
>
> Crusade is a good show. It got beaten down after the first five, stayed kind
> of beaten down through network notes and my own fatigue fighting fights that I
> shouldn't have had to fight, then picked up with the two post-fuck'em scripts
> because my energy was gearing up again at that decision. But overall it was a
> good show.
>
> Not that it made any difference to Crusade's eventual fate; that had zero to
do
> with the writing, acting, or directing, and everything to do with an internal
> corporate TNT decision about SF in general. Even written at 100% of my energy
> level, even if it had been a GREAT show instead of a very good show, it STILL
> would've met the fate it met. Of that there is no question.
>
> It was starting to pick up speed again with those last two scripts. I think
we
> would've eventually progressed in quality to where it needed to be.
>
> But I had just enough energy to get it started, to write and produce it, but
> not enough to go through all that AND the day-to-day battles with the network.
> Having gone through five years of hell on B5, I could handle any two of those
> three, not all three.
>
> And I'm wondering now if, in the long run, maybe it was the best thing that
> could have happened. If it had not gone the way it did, I almost certainly
> would never have been in a position to do the things I'm doing now...a (still
> classified) high-profile and high-budget TV series for one network, a B5 TV
> movie that will almost certainly go to a series on SFC, and the Rising Stars
> feature film in addition to a bunch of other stuff. And it's all fresh, with
> energy, there's fun there, and I think Rangers will have the fun and energy
and
> cool stuff that is emblematic of B5.
>
> I've always tried to be very forthright in my appraisal of my own work...I
know
> where my strengths are, but I also know where my failings are, and I think one
> needs to be blunt about both. So I tend to be pretty merciless when looking
> back at this kind of thing, but I think it's necessary.
>
> It's weird to think that I'm actually in a *better* position now, in terms of
> my career and the quality of my work, with Crusade having gone the way it did,
> than I would be if it had continued...but there it is.
>
> It's a funny old world, you know...?
>
> jms
>
> (jmsatb5@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Umm..that's already been posted on this website.

Basically all he says in that is that back when he was making Crusade he didn't have the energy to do it properly but that now he's more refreshed and can handle multiple projects...all of which he's doing more with than he would if Crusade was brought back.

If that were to indicate that the show was dead dead then all discussion of the topic would've likely ceased by now.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by terrytvgal:
OK, first off I didn't read the entire thread here debating the likelyhood of Crusade ever returning. I for one don't think it will and I've no urge to read a protracted debate when I'm not likely to change my thinking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm. Now terrytvgal, don't take this the wrong way I'm not having a go at you at all OK?
Why are you here if you're not open to new possibilites? I can understand not having the time to trawl though miles of text, or even just being bored with the discussion, but you missed a good point by Joe DeMartino: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He's had two excellent chances to tell fans, "Crusade is dead. Time to move on" just in the past week or so and he has refused to do so both times.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To me that say's the debate is far from over, but then that's just me
wink.gif

------------------
"Our ratings in the UK are just fine. It's just the English sci-fi press, or what passes for it, that hates us. And screw them anyway." - Zack Stenz, Andromeda staff writer

Yeah, Terrytvgal, jms was asked if that long reply from him meant that Crusade is truly dead, and his reply was:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't have anything to do with that one way or t'other.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So jms seems to believe there still IS a chance for it to come back, and it is not dead. If he didn't, why would he say otherwise.

Crusade has gotten great ratings on the sci-fi channel, which is a good sign.

The sci-fi channel has a history of picking up shows that others have abandoned: Sliders, Lexx, The Outer Limits...

They wanted to acquire Crusade from TNT right after it was cancelled, but as you've probably read, TNT prevented that by asking an insane amount of money for the rights to the B5 reruns Sci-fi wanted as well.

Of course you have a right to think it won't return, but I on the other hand happen to think it has a very good chance. I'm not holding my breath, and I won't be devastated if it doesn't, but the signs so far have been good.

vakie

------------------

Terry:

A lot of people who read the long JMS post that you quoted read it as some kind of comment on the current situation, but if you re-read it, you'll find it isn't.

Also the cut and paste here is a little confusing. It looks in your post like JMS is replying to Carl's "is Crusade truly dead?" post.

In fact, Carl is replying to the long JMS post. P. Nordal wrote the "Now that you've had some time to put the battles ... behind you..." message on April 18th. JMS's long post is the reply to Nordal's message, also written on April 18th.

The next day Carl N posted his message asking if the long post means Crusade is dead. Your post does not include JMS's reply to Carl, which Vakie quotes in a reply to you.

Read in the proper sequence these four messages make it clear that JMS himself is not willing to write Crusade off just yet. (As he's been at pains to point out repeatedly in the past few months, especially right after the Rangers project was announced.)

I realize the other thread got a bit nasty, but you might try skimming some of the messages to look for the useful ones. I think you might find enough evidence to persuade you that Crusade's return is still possible.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

terrytvgal, excuse me for breathing here, but if you don't like Crusade, at all (which appears to be the case), why are you here?

JMS is the current ruler of the sci-fi universe. I am sure that if the sci-fi channel folks gave him an opportunity and another shot, he would make it work. he believed in the project and TNT and affiliates would not let him do what he wanted with his baby, his idea, his show.

I don't blame him for being tired while all the crap was going on. He wasn't prepared for it, didn't want it, and apparently had to fight for every last little thing.

Rangers is only a movie for right now no a series yet. Do you believe he would turn down a new shot at crusade? I don't. And he hasn't stated he would "flat out" turn it down.

He knows we love him. And I do believe that by now he knows that a decent sized chunk of us like this show and see the potential that it has. Not willing at all to say "had" yet.

I wouldn't be devastated, but I would be very unhappy. Without good stuff, I am left to watch too much crap. . . . Not good for a veritable couch potato.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

[This message has been edited by GideonsMine (edited May 03, 2001).]

Yeah terry, if do not hope and pray for the return of Crusade every day and night then we don't care too much fer yer kind around here! Sure it goes against all logic and reality to think that a show that's been dead for over two years will "magically" re-appear, but thats what we're all about. So take your negativity somewhere else.

------------------

Hey POT, I can smell the sarcasm honey. there are plenty of other discussions that don't include crusade at all, why hang here just to be sarcastic?

well it takes all kinds i guess.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Hey PoT, who's the one here who isn't accepting the opinion of others? Is it the people who are hoping for the return of Crusade, because JMS has refused to say it is dead, or is it perhaps the people who are refusing to believe it has any chance of returning cos it's been dead for two years, and when people tell them they disagree, they make a personal attack and say they are bad people because they don't agree with him.

I have no problem with people who think it won't return. It's their opinion. It doesn't have any effect on the situation one way or the other. All I can do is say I believe otherwise, that it isn't still dead, and maybe tell the reasons I base my opinion on. If they still believe it's dead after that, I have no problem with that at all. Just one more of all the people in the world that disagree with my own personal opinions. I don't attack them for that.

I don't have a problem with someone who doesn't like a tv-show, movie, or a book that I like, either.

The thing I do have a problem with is people who refuse to accept that other people have different opinions, and if they don't agree with you, they are obviously being rude and disrespective, and therefore you are allowed to attack them and be sarcastic.

But that's just my opinion.

vakie

------------------

Ah well It's nice to know people are indeed paying attention here. It's hard to gain credibility and trust on a message board, cus, after all, anyone can post anything they feel like, true or not. Some may know whereof they speak others may not. In my case I'm not tied into any connection that gives me any greater knowledge than any other normal person. What I do give myself some credit for is a degree of foresight which has in the past proven to be on track. Here is where trust comes in to the fore.
My reason for feeling that I am on the right track in feeling Crusade is not likely to return is based on the fact that I expressed myself over year ago on the subject of Why Crusade didn't work and now I see that JMS is expressing much the same sentiment. This is what I wrote in my regular column for a small fanzine in October of 1999.

"The Summer began with the much anticipated series ‘Crusade’. I’ve a hunch that the majority of fans are wishing it hadn’t. Crusade didn’t offer even a hope that it could become as good as Babylon 5. In 13 episodes I couldn’t find one scene that made me go, “YES! this deserves to continue.” As much as I wanted to like it, Crusade just didn’t cut it. I would rather have seen Mr. Straczynski take a step back and wait a couple of seasons before plunging into a new series. After all, he took years to plot out and plan B5, why rush into a new series so quickly? Certainly the politics of TV and the ‘strike while the iron is hot’ philosophy were at work. Unfortunately, the result was not up to the standard of excellence we were spoiled by in Babylon 5. Let’s hope Crusade is allowed to fade into obscurity while we wait for Mr. Straczynski to regroup and produce more fine stories and unforgettable characters."

When I read Straczynski's own reflections on the situation, my own thoughts on the situation from that column sprang back into my thinking. In particular I felt the following resonated very closely with my own thinking...

But I had just enough energy to get it started, to write and produce it, but
> not enough to go through all that AND the day-to-day battles with the network.
> Having gone through five years of hell on B5, I could handle any two of those
> three, not all three.
>
> And I'm wondering now if, in the long run, maybe it was the best thing that
> could have happened.
If it had not gone the way it did, I almost certainly
> would never have been in a position to do the things I'm doing now..."

I took this as JMS feeling that Crusade was a good idea at the wrong time and that he had made peace with that era and had moved forward in a way he was pleased with. He is indeed, now, producing more fine stories and great characters (in Rising Stars, and Midnight Nation). I don't find anything in his sentiments that lead me to believe he is interested in looking back. I belive my column was on the right track, expressing the expectation that Straszynski would re-group and move forward. He has. Underlying that move forward is, in my opinion, the inclination NOT to look back. Revisiting Crusade as a series would be looking back. I don't believe JMS wants to do that...

Ultimately it's only my opinion.I'm just feeling as if I'm on right track because I took a stand almost 2 years ago and now I find JMS expressing feelings I find in keeping with my instincts. Of course I could be wrong. Of course I could be totally mis interpreting JMS. I'm willing to put my thoughts in print and then stand by them. I think I've got reasonably good instincts and I'm gonna defend them. Eventually we'll find out... And to all of you, just so you know, I love a great debate and I have a tough skin. If I ever feel personally attacked by anyone you'll know about it. For now, let the thoughts and word flow... that's why I'm here!
smile.gif

------------------

But in the end it doesn't really matter what JMS thinks. It's up to 2 companies:the Scifi Channel and WB.

If SFC wants new episodes of the series they'll get them.

Hopefully,JMS would give his blessing and give it whatever time he could logically give to ensure it's quality.

The actors want it...a lot of the fans want it. It's in the ratings. SFC needs it. And JMS doesn't seem to be the type to leave us wondering if he knows it's not coming back.

But I do see your point. And I do agree that Crusade was probably done at the wrong time..but it was done. And I'm in the opinion that the those 12 episodes(war zone just doesn't count) were very good and a lot better than B5's beginning episodes.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GideonsMine:
terrytvgal, excuse me for breathing here, but if you don't like Crusade, at all (which appears to be the case), why are you here?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My original post said nothing about my liking or disliking Crusade. My follow up post does express my opinion of the show. And you are right, based on what aired I don't like Crusade. I'm here becaue this is the place on this board to discuss Crusade. I wanted to weigh in on the side of the debate contending Crusade is not likely to make a return. Liking or disliking the series isn't a prerequisite for discussing it. I've not knocked the series or anyone here. If you don't want to talk to naysayers, ignore me. I'm here to express myself and have some fun-- good, harmless, exchange of words and thoughts and opinions fun. I promse, if a thread or discusion area is started which has as it's topic "Post here ONLY IF YOU LIKE CRUSADE" I'll stay away.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Terry:

A lot of people who read the long JMS post that you quoted read it as some kind of comment on the current situation, but if you re-read it, you'll find it isn't...

Regards,

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're absolutely right; I grabbed this out of that thread. I was,in fact, mostly presuming that people here would be familiar with the conversation. JMS's reflections were my focus - it would have been inappropriate to post the ENTIRE conversation, so I took the most relavent bit to me--that being JMS talking about his thoughts on Crusade in hindsight. In view of my follow up post I figure you'll see why that bit stood out for me...
smile.gif

------------------

PoT: I ask you again (and try to actually respond this time) - Do you know what a strawman is?

(You should, becuse you're very good at them).

TerryTVgal: You focused on a small part of jms' post. Then one that, when taken out of context, supported your opinion.

Didn't you read the part where he called Crusade a very good show? Then one where he said his two unproduced scripts were pushing the quality back where it should have been?

Add to that all the effort he's put into stopping anyone on the moderated newsgroup from declaring Crusade dead (I posted several quotes in the other thread), I'd say he definetivly wants Crusade back, and belives there is a chance.

That's good enough for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwiftBiscuit:
Originally posted by terrytvgal:
OK, first off I didn't read the entire thread here debating the likelyhood of Crusade ever returning. I for one don't think it will and I've no urge to read a protracted debate when I'm not likely to change my thinking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm. Now terrytvgal, don't take this the wrong way I'm not having a go at you at all OK?
Why are you here if you're not open to new possibilites? I can understand not having the time to trawl though miles of text, or even just being bored with the discussion, but you missed a good point by Joe DeMartino: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He's had two excellent chances to tell fans, "Crusade is dead. Time to move on" just in the past week or so and he has refused to do so both times.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To me that say's the debate is far from over, but then that's just me
wink.gif

I'm here to debate the 'facts'of which there are none, of course. I don't see the absence of a definite "NO" as a possible yes. I see it as being diplomatic... I read between the lines of different sentences and see different meanings. Kinda like Kosh...

------------------

TerryTVGal, since you obviously can't be bothered to look at the jms quotes I posted in the other thread, here they are again. Please feel free to point out how jms is being diplomatic about it. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>03/29/2001

>I heard a rumor that the main reason there won't be any new Crusade
>episodes is that the cast can't be reassembled.

Untrue.

>I doubt this is the
>reason, since SFC will probably want to wait for the ratings breakdowns
>first, see how things are going to go, then crank up new episodes if it
>looks good.

That would certainly be the more logical approach.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>03/21/2001

>Does the new Rangers movie (& possible series) mean that SFC doesn't
>want to do more Crusade? Don't get me wrong--I love the Rangers idea.
>I hate to see something (the Crusade story) left up in the air, though.
>

No, it doesn't...it doesn't have any impact on that project one way or another.
This is a B5 project based on the B5 ratings. Crusade hasn't even aired yet
on SFC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Note that below he actually starts to get annoyed at people who declare Crusade dead: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>09/18/2000

>Guess this seals Crusade's fate then, doesn't it?
>

Y'know, if I get this question one more time, I'm going to belt somebody.

Just for starters, do you want me to just sit here and hope that someday
somebody buys the show and thus pass up work in between?

Secondly...if there WERE to be any more Crusade, it would be at LEAST a year,
maybe more, before it would get going. SFC is going to want to see what
happens to B5's reruns before picking up Crusade's reruns. That wouldn't
happen until after the first of the year. If they want something after that,
B5 or Crusade related, THAT couldn't happen until the fall at the very earliest
just to get the DEAL together, and you wouldn't start shooting until Spring
2002 at the *very earliest*.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Anybody who doubts the veracity of thse quotes can go to jmsnews and look them up themselves.

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited May 03, 2001).]

Hey, PoT, you ever heard of strawman arguments?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
TerryTVGal, since you obviously can't be bothered to look at the jms quotes I posted in the other thread, here they are again. Please feel free to point out how jms is being diplomatic about it.
03/29/2001

>Just for starters, do you want me to just sit here and hope that someday

Secondly...if there WERE to be any more Crusade, it would be at LEAST a year,
maybe more, before it would get going. SFC is going to want to see what
happens to B5's reruns before picking up Crusade's reruns. That wouldn't
happen until after the first of the year. If they want something after that,
B5 or Crusade related, THAT couldn't happen until the fall at the very earliest
just to get the DEAL together, and you wouldn't start shooting until Spring
2002 at the *very earliest*.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK Line by line...you asked for it..
Just for starters, do you want me to just sit here and hope that someday

This to me seems like someone fed up with trying to convey that they've moved on . I don't see it as someone saying, "gee I'd really like someone to buy up the series so I can go back to doing it"

Line #2.if there WERE to be any more Crusade,
I'm sorry-I read Frustration in that phrase, a very conditional were,intended to leave as little room for optisimism as he can.

Line #3
If they want something after that,
B5 or Crusade related, THAT couldn't happen until the fall at the very earliest just to get the DEAL together,

Again this seems to me to be VERY CONDITIONAL, contingent on SCI FI wanting the series, which it would seem to me would be less likely if they go for the Rangers series. Add into that the other projects JMS has on the boards that SFI FI could eventually get, and ressurecting a series that didn't get off to a good start seems less and less the way to go.

Line #4
until Spring 2002 at the *very earliest*.[b/]
That just doesn't read to me as a very encouraging phrase: note the ** around very earliest. I can only read that as a way of saying, "It's gonna be a while, if at all." Note that is the second time he uses the phrase, 'at the very earliest'.

If you want to read those statements as positive or optimistic or hinting there is a future for Crusade, by all means do, I won't try to convince you otherwise. I just see it differently. I think he'd be ever so much happier if people would focus on what he's doing now instead of wanting a piece of the past. You asked me to show the diplomacy in those quotes; perhaps you're right. The more I read them the more blunt they seem-- 'don't ask me about Crusade anymore, I've moved on...' I just don't think he sees a future for the series, IMHO of course.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
PoT: Do you know what a strawman is?
(You should, becuse you're very good at them).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what you mean by a 'strawman' is that I'm a very good 'devil's advocate.' Someone who takes the contrary opinion in a discussion and argues it, more for the sake of the arguement that for a strong conviction about the opinion they're argueing. If that's what you mean then yes, I do like to be the'strawman'. BUT only to the extent that I will stand up for my point of view if I hold it to be valid and argueable and so long as those around me are only expressing opinions, speculations or theories. The instant the theories are made moot by the facts (in this case the return of Crusade or an official announcement that it will not return), I either gloat if I'm right or run and hide if I'm wrong
wink.gif

------------------

Hey, I'm on your side Drahky! I see the folly of my ways and I now join in unity with all the others who want crusade back on the air. To hell with all these trolls and their "factless" opinions.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back