• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS speaks to TV Guide magazine

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">JMS speaks to TV Guide magazine</font>
<font size="3">New article on B5LR, and some of what's to come</font>

TV Guide Online recently published a news item regarding the new B5LR telemovie. Not to be outdone, their magazine had one too recently, with some different content to the online article.

In the magazine article, the background to B5LR is explained. JMS then goes on to talk about the show. "I don't want this to be a ship-bound show," Straczynski told TV Guide. "These are covert kind of guys, and [their ship] the Liandra is designed to get them in and get them out, fast."

TV Guide also warned us to expect another epic saga if a series is commissioned. "I'm basically a Russian by blood and disposition," admits JMS, "so I can't tell short stories."

Thanks to Chris Springob for this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> TV Guide also warned us to expect another epic saga if a series is commissioned. "I'm basically a Russian by blood and disposition," admits JMS, "so I can't tell short stories."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm hoping that this will be as good/ maybe better than B5, which is a pretty big show to follow up. I'm gonna enjoy just having fresh shows from this universe again, so it will be good either way. Also, i know it will rank up there with B5, i'm not doubting that, i just want it now!!!!!!!

------------------
*said in vorlon accent* "We are all confused"

I'd expect it to be Better. JMS is caught up on his sleep now.
laugh.gif

If he can do as well as B5 on 3 hours sleep a night for 5 years, think what he can do with a good night's sleep.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

bakana, have you seen how many projects JMS is doing right now? I must confess, I wonder if he isn't repeating an old cycle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm faithful enough to say I bet Rangers will beat the band, but JMS sounds like he might be repeating old, bad habits.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'd expect it to be Better. JMS is caught up on his sleep now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You seem to be confusing the amount of sleep he's getting before the show starts to amount of sleep he'll be getting once the show is being produced. JMS may have been getting more sleep before B5 went into production as well, so I'm not sure I see how the situation with Rangers is different.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>bakana, have you seen how many projects JMS is doing right now? I must confess, I wonder if he isn't repeating an old cycle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't think it's as bad as it looks. B5 seems to have aged JMS about 20 years, but look at what it involved:

It was his first-ever series as show-runner. In addition to writing most of the episodes, even in the first two seasons, he did some polishing or rewriting on most of the others. He wrote all but one script for the next three years straight.

He had to learn editing, music spotting and other jobs he hadn't really been involved in before.

He was establishing an entirely new SF universe, and had to personally approve the design of pretty much everything in it, from spacecraft, to planets, to eating utensils, to the sign outside the mens' room.

He was directly involved in every aspect of the show's production as well as pre- and post-production. He was writing mostly at night so that he could be on the set when necessary.

He also wrote a novel, comic books, short stories, spec scripts, outlined 3 complete trilogies of novels and went straight into production on an additional TV movie and a sequel series while B5 was winding down.

On Crusade, in addition to all the normal problems of a new series, he was dealing with a level of network interference, stupidity and incompetance that he had never encountered before on any show in his career. (Including at least one that was so bad he quit.
smile.gif
)

He's had two years "off" now, or at least away from the daily grind of producing a one-hour TV show.

Neither of his current or potential TV series require the kind of total commitment that B5 did. Rangers because it is set in an established universe where much of the design work and backstory are already in place, "TWCBN" (which I'm 90% sure is Jeremiah) because it takes place on a post apocalyptic Earth in the near future. Not a whole lot has to be created from scratch. He's overseeing both shows, but not writing all of them. (He's already hired writers and has a half-dozen scripts in the works for "TWCBN"/Jeremiah)

Writing the comics is not that time consuming, and he's already said he'll limit himself to two or three monthly titles - meaning if he picks something up, he'll drop something else.

The Rising Stars film won't absorb that much of his time. He isn't producing it, just writing it. He's already turned in his second draft. Anything from this point on is going to be tinkering and refining it. He's not going to have to sit down and rewrite the thing from scratch. And he won't have to be on the set or locations when they're shooting. (In fact, the director probably won't want the writer within a hundred miles of where he is, if he's the typical Hollywood egomaniac.
smile.gif
)

If I'm right, the "Surprise Third Project" which JMS has recently mentioned picking up again is World on Fire, the series he and Chris Carter almost sold to CBS right after Crusade folded. (And which was only killed by Fox's sudden cancellation of Harsh Realm.)

WoF is another "you don't have to invent the whole world" show. JMS has described it as "95% mainstream and 5% speculative fiction." That means you can shoot it anywhere, buy or rent your props off the shelf and that there are tons of writers who can handle the format.

I don't know if Carter would still be involved in the project (the rights reverted to JMS after the CBS deal fell through), but he has to be looking ahead to the time when X-Files winds down, and they've just had to lay off all the Lone Gunmen people. I think he'd be interested. JMS said that he was going back to "TSTP" because he had "cleared the decks" of some other work - which tells me he's probably finished the current cycles of Rising Star and Midnight Nation (comics are written months ahead of time) and that he's probably done the bulk of the prep work on "TWCBN"

If "TSTP" is World on Fire, and Ten Thirteen is involved, Frank Sponitz could be shooting the existing pilot in with the old Lone Gunmen crew almost as soon as the ink is dry on the contracts. Certainly JMS would have no trouble staying on top of WoF and Rangers if both were shooting in the same city and he had experienced producers from Ten Thirteen to rely on for some of the heavy lifting.

A heavy writing workload is not what wiped JMS out during B5. He can't not write, and, like most writers, he is usually working on multiple projects because sometimes putting "A" aside and working on "B" for awhile helps you get past a sticking point in "A" What nearly did him in was the one man band aspect of trying to control every aspect of B5 himself, while inventing a whole universe as he went along.

With a few old Babylonian hands in key positions - the kind of people who know what he wants before he does - and without the strain of starting from scratch, I suspect he'll have no more trouble with his workload than people like David E. Kelly, Dick Wolf, and Steven Bocchco, all of whom had multiple high profile, network series running at the same time. (And most of whom were probably writing feature film scripts and The Great American Novel in their spare time.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

This may seem like a stupid question (wouldn't be my first, right?):

What are "TSTP" and "TWCBN?"

As far as JMS' "old habit," I think it's a bit presumptuous for us to sit around and pick on how he lives his life and balances his work. He's an adult, and a smart one at that, who's capable of learning from any past mistakes.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Sorry. "TSTP" is the "Secret Third Project" which was spelled out earlier in the same post. (The one I'm guessing is World on Fire) "TWCBN" is JMS's "traditional" designation for a project he has a signed contract for, but cannot name publicly because Hollywood protocol says the studio, not the writer, gets to issue the press release.

It stands for "That Which Cannot Be Named." Babylon 5 was "TWCBN" a long time on the old GEnie service. JMS had a contract in hand was was in preproduction on the pilot, but the show couldn't be announced until Warner Bros. secret preparations for the PTEN network were complete.

I abbreviated "The Secret Third Project" as "TSTP" because I thought "TWCBN 2" would be even more confusing.
smile.gif

My guess is that "TWCBN" is Jeremiah a series he and Joe Dante were known to have in development at one point. It is a loose adapation of a French comic book from the 1960s about a world in which a (possibly man-made) plague wiped out everyone above the age of 20 or 30, and the inexperienced survivors are trying to rebuild civilization. I believe the main character is 16 or 17 at the time the series begins.

"TWCBN" has been described as being "for a major network." Jeremiah is known to have been looked at by Showtime with Paramount as the producing studio. Whatever it is, "TWCBN" starts shooting in late August or early September (with a 2 hour intro movie.) Then they shoot 18 episodes which JMS estimated would take them into January or February. The show was set to debut March 25th, but this date has been moved up - JMS didn't say by how much - which may account for the possible start date on Rangers being pushed back, and possibly the January debut date.

JMS originally scheduled things so that he could go right from "TWCBN" into Rangers if Sci-Fi approved the series. But with the "TWCBN" dates shifting forward he'll have less time for post-production on the Rangers movie because that's now bumping up against the start date on "TWCBN."

The start date on the Rangers series may be pushed back simply to give JMS a breather between the two projects, or because he'll need more time for post-production on "TWCBN" because the premiere date has been pushed up. (There was a limit to how far forward the start date could be moved, given his other commitments and the possible SAG strike, so some of the time will have to be made up on the back end.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
My guess is that "TWCBN" is Jeremiah a series he and Joe Dante were known to have in development at one point. It is a loose adapation of a French comic book from the 1960s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The first issue came out 1979. The latest one, nr. 21, came out in 1998.

Thanks, Joe.

So, basically, by this time next year, there will be two sci-fi series by the man behind Babylon 5 on the air, one of which takes place in the B5 universe, with the possibility of a third one created in conjunction with the man behind X-Files in the making. As well as the possibility of yet another show in the B5 universe at some point down the line.

JMS might yet turn me into a couch potato.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Every time I hear about JMS's schedule I find myself getting breathless. If they all end up on tv at the same time I am going to have to add a room just to store my tapes.

------------------

I read JMS's profile in a book..it said he works 10 hours everyday writing...and takes Christmas and i think his birthday off,,

to write like that all the time and not have carpel tunnel is beyond me...

but joe is write, to creat a whole new universe--so unlike star trek is very neat...

------------------
War doesn't determine who is right, just who is left.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>and takes Christmas and i think his birthday off,,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone recently corrected me on this point. I believe he takes Christmas, his birthday and New Year's Day off. (Lazy bastard!) And I don't think that ten hours includes the two or three he spends reading and answering his e-mail every day.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>to write like that all the time and not have carpel tunnel is beyond me...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be beyond him, too. I'm pretty sure he does have carpal tunnel.

Regards,

Joe

[/quote]

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
(Including at least one that was so bad he quit.
smile.gif
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IIRC, jms has quit 6 shows (and that's just the ones we've managed to get him to talk about), because of problems with the people above him. Yet he countinued to get better and better work, so he figured he must have been doing something right.
laugh.gif

Oh guys, you dont know how glad I am to hear all this. I was thinking it might be another one ship show with people in the same positions every show, like star trek. For 4 series now we have an engineer, captain, first commander, helms man, tactical officer, etc etc etc etc etc........every series. DS9 had it different, granted.

Back on track, sorry. I am also very VERY glad that he said indirectly he is planning a huge arc. I love the idea.......I know it will be like B5, and take a season or 2 to get into it, but the fact its there will be great. I know he will do it.......nobody will know, cause as he has said, nothin is as it seems. Neither the show or anything.

Whoop de dooooo

I better get the series in Canada.....

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back