• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS and fans' reactions to AICN B5LR review

B5LR

Regular
JMS and fans\' reactions to AICN B5LR review

<font size="+1">JMS and fans' reactions to AICN B5LR review</font>
<font size="3">Plus: the reviewer and an ex-AICN reviewer speak to B5LR.com</font>

The scathing review of Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers which was published at Ain't It Cool News recently has stirred up a strong response in the fan community—and from JMS himself.

The reviewer, "Christopher Pike", came to B5LR.com to discuss some of his reasoning with the fans. Although, of course, not backing down from his views, he did go into more detail and responded to fans' questions. When talking about B5, he said, "I love Babylon 5. Like many of you, the show has affected me in ways too numerous to describe. But, like Trek, I feel the franchise has seen considerably better days & needs a good sprucing-up." You can read his post, and various replies by fans and cast, by clicking here to visit the relevant thread at the B5LR.com messageboard. You can find more topics in the Rangers forum.

JMS, however, was naturally not amused with the review. He made the following post in the B5 newsgroup in response to a fan's message about the review.

<font color="#99cc99">Let's see...a reviewer who goes under the handle Captain Christopher Pike (a classic Star Trek character), compares everything in B5 to Star Trek, and is subbing for another so-called reviewer called Herc who is a bigtime B5 hater from way back...AND he posts a negative "review" of B5: Rangers?

I'm shocked...shocked, I tell you.

Lemme give you a heads-up here...there is a qualitative difference between an actual reviewer and the kind of jumped up fanboy who posts a message on this kind of system specifically for the purpose of trashing something out of the usual fanboy feud shit we've seen over the last seven years. (And then, from what I've heard, pops on over to b5lr.com to get reactions because he wants to get his jollies.)

This is not a review. It's not even close to a review, and this kind of crap is what totally destroys and has destroyed any hope of legitimacy that aicn has, which is why just about everybody in the business now totally writes them off. It started off as a news site, now it's a fanboy site with clearly distinguished biases.

They don't like that I say this? Tough. It's my review of their performance.

Look, how about we actually *see* the thing? I think it may be one of the best things B5 we've ever done. WB had NO NOTES on the thing. SFC had ONE note, to make one word (entil'zha) a bit louder because it's kind of a plot point. Both places referred to it as stunning and beautiful and maybe our best work to date.

So for some cretin as this to come out and try to torpedo something out of the same crap feud that's been out there for seven years, and for people like you to actually *fall* for this crap and post things like....</font>

The newsgroup poster, Jonathan, also said, "If this telefilm tanks, I'd honestly be open to the idea of someone else taking over the universe from Joe." JMS replied:

<font color="#99cc99">[This] demonstrates a degree of credulity bordering on the mind-boggling.

This happens every time we do anything B5 related, it happened every season of the show ("We've seen scripts for season three and it's going to be just action, no more character stuff") and you'd think sooner or later people would learn not to fall for the okeydoke especially when a piece like this is SO obviously a plant by someone with an anti-B5 bias (a prior aicn review that slipped in, from someone WITHOUT any B5 bias, LOVED the film and this was before the EFX were even in the damned thing).</font>

It is interesting to note that a positive review at AICN passes with little comment. But unsurprisingly a negative review engenders strong reactions from the fan community. It should be remembered that a review is always subjective, and contains the opinions of the reviewer in question. Everybody should make up their own minds by watching B5LR when it airs in their area.

However, publishing site AICN isn't without some controversy. Recently Freddie Prinze Jr. led an attack on the site and its practices followed by another actor, Matthew Lillard. How much a film star knows about a site such as AICN is, however, questionable. A person who can give proper insight is someone like L. E. McClintock, who spoke to B5LR.com recently after the review went live. McClintock, who wrote for the B5 magazine, reviewed Crusade episodes for the site when they first aired.

"The reviewers at AICN are not professional," explained McClintock. "They do not get paid. They have no formal education in writing or journalism. This is why they have no journalism etiquette, and that's why they have no respect within the industry.

"Most of the reviewers like to hide behind fake names like Captain Pike, etc. This is because they are thieves in most cases stealing property that is not theirs. Or at the very least they get the tapes in totally underhanded, unethical ways. But, even if a AICN writer wants to use their real name, this is denied them. I wanted to review Crusade under my own name, but was told that was not allowed. I never knew why. It was never made clear."

He also explained how things work when done via the proper channels. "Professional reviewers receive tapes from the networks in advance, in exchange for agreeing to an embargo date on when the review can be published. The studio or network usually will not allow a review to be printed until just before the show airs. They like the reviews to run the week before the show airs, or in the days just before the show airs... or in some cases in the days just after. In most cases, for newspapers, they would want the review to run the same day the show airs. These embargo date agreements are what make professional reviewers professional. That, and their education and experience in journalism. A good critic is well read in the writings past critics, and does not resort to slangy street talk, or personal invective against the material or the creators of the material.

"AICN has no credibility or stature in Hollywood. Their comments are fan boyish. Positive reviews can be bought by taking AICN reviewers to junkets and giving them free food, and other gifts. All together it's a shoddy operation, that no one should ever take seriously. They have no merit. They are not Roger Ebert, Pauline Kael, or Howard Rosenberg. They are not TV guide, or Variety, the Hollywood Reporter, New York Times, Washington Post, Time or Newsweek."

[This message has been edited by B5LR (edited October 19, 2001).]

Re: JMS and fans\' reactions to AICN B5LR review

Nice work prez, really. Until JMS attacked ChrisPike, everyone seemed to start sympathizing with him.

It was a boyish, crude, and "amateutish" review. Im glad we agree, and that the community, for the most part, does too.

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

you go JMS!

------------------
-----Khurzhor-----

"Farewell friend. I was a thousand times as evil as thou."
-Stormbringer

You go LE Mc Clintock, too! And also AntonyF! Yeah!!!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Do you know what bothers me the most about that lightsaber wielding horde of basement dwellers...

...hell if I know...I think everything about them pisses me off....GO BACK TO DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, GET OFF YOUR PARENTS COMPUTERS ,YOU LITTLE MASTERBATING AICN FREAKS!

That...and the infamous Harry Knowles CONSTANTLY uses the word "NOONE"..as in "no one"....jesus h crist that just pisses me off! Stop molesting the english language you refrigerator raping bastard!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sven Foriegner (edited October 19, 2001).]

OK, let's step back a moment.

There's absolutely no reason to drag lightsabers and Dungeons & Dragons into this.
wink.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

yeah, that was out of line.....as the homeboy's say..."My Bad."

word!

laugh.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sven Foriegner (edited October 19, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taichidave:
OK, let's step back a moment.

There's absolutely no reason to drag lightsabers and Dungeons & Dragons into this.
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, as a life-long member of D&D, I must file my official protest. Them dragons always had a bad rep and it was due, in part, by truly bad agents who did next to nothing on behalf of their clients.

As for lightsabers, I cannot speak for that group so I will remain silent on that issue.
laugh.gif

------------------
Bashir: Assuming you're not a spy.
Garak: Assuming.
Bashir: Then maybe you're an outcast.
Garak: Or maybe I'm an outcast spy.

Yes..I don't blame the dragons...they got a bad rap.

I do have a beef with the ax wielding trolls and those damn greasy barbarians with the austrain accents...those guys are such dicks ....

The old magician dudes....they're the bomb yo...nothing like a big twisted wooden staff to show your authority.

But anyone with a lightsaber is still a complete nerd.

As ogre say from the classic film "revenge of the nerds": NNNNEEEERRDDDSSSSSSS!!!!!

------------------

That was my article. Now here is my opinion.

I think, to be honest, there's a lot of hypocrisy floating around. Sorry to burst the bubble of adolation which has formed around me, but I think there is. Froms fans in particular.

The first review at AICN was passed over without comment. The second at AICN gets this whole storm. Was the first review any less professional than the second? I think not. But the second guy gets pounced on and attacked.

JMS said the second article is obviously a plant with anti-B5 bias. Why is that the one with bias, and not the first one?

I think Chris wrote a review, and people need to remember a review is that person's views. He then came here to B5LR.com to speak to the fans. I don't think that was a cynical move, I think that was a way of discussing things with the fans because it wasn't just a "write and run" review--he wanted to stand by it, and clarify what he said.

Yes, AICN isn't without a bit of a stained reputation, but I think this strom would have erupted wherever it was published. The storm just arises because of the love of B5. Which is nice, but a bit blinkered.

Everyone just needs to make up their own minds when they watch it in January, or whenever they get it.

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:

Everyone just needs to make up their own minds when they watch it in January, or whenever they get it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah people get really uptight when it comes to opinions. They forget that they are just opinions.

Reviewers obviously have there own opinions and cause they human they can always be different to your own.

I like JMS's work but not all of it has been the greatest.

I hope this telemovie is great I will just have to wait and see
smile.gif
Then make up me own mind. As we all will do.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

And people wonder why we like the guy
smile.gif

Let's just wait and see the movie
smile.gif
)))

re
Halldor

------------------
Gideon: I thought you said you don't hold a grudge?
Galen: I don't, I have no surviving enemies, at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
yeah people get really uptight when it comes to opinions. They forget that they are just opinions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing that doesn't help me, I finally figured out, is that I tend to come to this site in the early, early morning, or at night. At both times my brain is probably not at its best!
wink.gif

But I still just have to say: if you want people to consider you a good source, you have to give your name. Anonymous works great for messageboards, but an anonymous review is ????

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Why is it that when a discussion or review about B5 comes along, Star Trek always has to be mentioned as a comparison? I like Star Trek, but to compare it to B5? Some hard-core ST fans always have to compare every space show to ST. Just because B5:LOTR is happening on a spaceship does not mean it's a ST rip-off! B5 always has a story arc that goes with it, Star Trek is a show with a different adventure every week. They are not alike! I know that everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but at least make it an intelligent one.

------------------

Thanks Antony for posting JMS' response to the AICN review. As I told Londo's Hair in another thread, I tend to believe what JMS and the Rangers cast say about the movie more than I do some critic.

------------------
RW, the salad ambassador. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

tell me the truth, would anyone of us not watch the movie because of what anyone told us... i mean even if JMS told me i shouldnt watch it... i would... thats how determined i am...

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

I have to say, I had no idea the first generous review existed until the hoo ha over the second brought it up.

As they say bad news travels fast!

Now I am more optimistic.

Out of the strong came forth the sweet, out of the eater something to eat.

The conflict over the second review has boosted the outreach of the initial one.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Hmmm how many cliche's can I squeeze in here?

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

i used to like aicn. then, a few months ago, things started going down hill. reviews started to become (even more) crappier than usual. they had people writing in who couldn't even distinguish the difference between "they're" and "their." mind you, this is just a minor problem, there are so many other bigger problems with the reviews -- most of them, like jms said, were so bloody childish and badly written that they mind as well be written by kindergarten kids (although saying that is probably belittling the kindergarten kids). for christ's sake, considering what the site is charging for ads, you'd expect they might at least hire someone to proofread the reviews instead of just posting them as-is. it's ridiculous.

besides the amateurish reviews, there's the problem with the 'cool' news. look, i don't have anything against the herc guy, but if your 'coolest' news is a daily review of 'the west wing' or 'gilmore girls' or 'buffy' or even 'angel' just HOURS before the episode airs, you're in deep doo-doo. mind you, i have no problems with any of those shows, but they're so useless because the herc guy pretty much likes EVERYTHING that network tv has to offer. i kid you not, the guy must have given out 4-stars (his highest rating) to 9 out of 10 shows -- and that 1 show that didn't get a 4 probably got a 3! it's so ridiculous and worthless. besides that, the rest of the 'cool' news started being links to movie trailers and whatnot.

but it's not just the reviewers and 'scoopers' that have abandoned the site, forcing them to take on crappy reviews and crappy reviewers and crappy stories, the fans have also gone. i know i haven't been back since they put up that damn 'iron monkey' animated ad that covered up half of my damn screen and rendered it useless.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nixflix:
i used to like aicn. then, a few months ago, things started going down hill.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know about the whole site, but the TV section has been crap ever since Glen Oliver left (late 1999 IIRC). He was professional, had a solid network of informants, and did a fair bit of fact checking before posting a "scoop". The guy who took over had none of that... Heck, I'm fairly certain he spent his first days just posting incomprehensible crap to show how kewl he was or something.

The section became next to worthless, and I seem to recall Herc's reviews being hailed a giant step up when they started...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited October 21, 2001).]

Back