• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jeremiah showing in the UK

Elric

Regular
I've been waiting to see this for some time now, so I was very pleased to have just seen an advert on Sky One saying that they will start showing it on Monday, December 16th /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, watched this last night. Pretty good start really, although it is a shame that it is (a) on so late and (b) not on at a consistent time (10pm last night, 11pm next week, 10:50pm the week after that) but I suppose that is par for the course where JMS' shows are concerned.

I must admit I was also slightly disappointed at the level of nudity and strong language on display, in much the same way as I am disappointed with Odyssey 5 for similar reasons.

It will not stop me watching either show, but both are interesting and thought-provoking shows and I certainly don't think Odyssey 5 gains any benefit from its use of strong language. I will reserve judgement on Jeremiah until I have seen more.

I gather both these shows are financed by, and shown on, Showtime. Is this kind of thing typical of their original stuff?

Oh damn.

I'm only a day late in finding out, aren't I ?? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If anyone has a tape with the first ep on, I'd gladly pay postage if I can borrow it.

I'm trying to diversify from Babylon 5 into JMS' other work, and Jeremiah seems to be going really well and gaininig steam. But I was A DAY late - exactly 24hrs - in finding it was finally showing on Sky One.

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifgrrrrr. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have to admit I was not totally blown away by the first Ep, but it is still early days. I'm sure JMS will pull something out of the bag over the next few episodes...

I must admit I was also slightly disappointed at the level of nudity and strong language on display, in much the same way as I am disappointed with Odyssey 5 for similar reasons.

Being a person of low moral values /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif that doesn't really bother me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But, I think it helps illustrate what the world has become!

If anyone has a tape with the first ep on, I'd gladly pay postage if I can borrow it.

Do you get the new Sky One Mix channel? It will probably be shown on that. They may also repeat it over the weekend but I'm not sure since I don't have any listings to hand.

I did tape it but I do not really want to post the tape since it is my only copy. Do not despair though, I maybe able to run off a copy over the X-mas period by borrowing someones VCR. If I can do this, I'd be more than happy to post it to you then /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but it is unlikely I will be able to do this before the next episode is aired.

Pretty good start really, although it is a shame that it is (a) on so late and (b) not on at a consistent time (10pm last night, 11pm next week, 10:50pm the week after that) but I suppose that is par for the course where JMS' shows are concerned.

I thought that the time changes might be more of a side effect from any special holiday programming but someone else told me that it might be that Sky One is trying to find an appropriate "adult" time slot for it.

I certainly don't think Odyssey 5 gains any benefit from its use of strong language. I will reserve judgement on Jeremiah until I have seen more.

I have to agree with the use of strong language in O5 as being fairly unnecessary. In many cases, I thought sh!t would have been a more natural swear word than fnck.

I was also a bit surprised by the language and nudity in Jeremiah but as the show progressed, I thought it made a lot more sense. It will be interesting to see if other people think the same way. It was a little jarring since I got used to how JMS wrote for B5 and then he takes a different approach in the pilot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I gather both these shows are financed by, and shown on, Showtime. Is this kind of thing typical of their original stuff?

I haven't watched many of Showtime's original programming but maybe it is typical of their new shows. O5 and Jeremiah are the only things I have watched on Showtime. I am pretty sure Stargate SG-1 was a Showtime original show but they air what has been syndicated but without commercials. Again, don't take my word for it since I don't watch that show and is only the impression I have gotten from other people who do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have to admit I was not totally blown away by the first Ep, but it is still early days. I'm sure JMS will pull something out of the bag over the next few episodes...

I am trying to imagine watching only the first half of the pilot and the second half a week later. I think the second part is more interesting but let us know what you think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is my updated schedule page for the UK with the repeats on Sky One Mix:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/jeremiah/eps/sch_uk.html

Finally, just a reminder that all tape trading must be done offline via email or private messages. Sorry, board policy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am trying to imagine watching only the first half of the pilot and the second half a week later. I think the second part is more interesting but let us know what you think.

I thought that may be the case. Knowing that this is a JMS show, I know he will be building up the characters and the plot so I'm still open minded... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finally, just a reminder that all tape trading must be done offline via email or private messages. Sorry, board policy.

Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif didn't realise - I was just offering to help out but point taken /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is my updated schedule page for the UK with the repeats on Sky One Mix:

Thanks Lyta, I can see your page is going to come in very handy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It did cross my mind that the next couple of weeks might be a Christmas-related shuffle, especially seeing that next week's ep immediately follows 4 back to back episodes of "The Simpsons" (there having already been 4 others scattered throughout the rest of the day! ).

Now I like the Simpsons, but you can definitely have too much of a good thing sometimes.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well I have waited for god knows how long to finally see it, and my hopes were jaded purposely so I didn't have any preconceived wishes. And I wasn't too keen on the whole apocalyptic world thing, and the way the cast/cre described it made it sound like cr*p. But... I freggin loved it. Amazing stuff, and what I thought was best as the music. What a great start to a series, few beginner episodes had me hooked... this one certainly did its job.

When I saw it advertised (as ell as hearing months ago it as to be on Sky), I was concerned that it might be cut to bits due to the adult nature. I'm glad they kept it in, as it wasn't there just to be there (for those angst teens). The ITC are usually complete prats about these things, and its showing with the shifting times... at least it didn't go the way others have. Anyay, a great start and I eagerly await the conclusion.

and what I thought was best as the music

Ditto, I loved the music, but then I loved Evan Chen's for Crusade, so what do I know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The ITC are usually complete prats about these things, and its showing with the shifting times

The ITC seem to deal with things differently on Sky, presumably because it is a subscription channel rather than terrestrial. I think any UK terrestrial channel wanting to show Jeremiah may have some serious cuts to make if they want to show it at any reasonable time of day.

I've just seen my first Jeremiah ep - and after not seeing anything new from JMS for about four years it was teriffic! There were several moments when I thought "this was definately written by JMS" - and the plot was fresh and interesting too. I can see the message of this show coming through loud and clear, that is also JMS's overall message: that humans survive, no matter the odds. And the good guys win. Mostly.

Was Captain Iron a tip of the hat to Rising Stars? I have yet to read any of the comics.

Sounds like you just watched "Man of Iron, Women Under Glass". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I quite liked it as well.

I thought Capt Iron was more of a homage to Superman than anyone in RS since I know he is JMS' favorite hero. He attributes learning many of his morals and can-do attitude from Supe. In fact, I found one of JMS' old posts about this very thing:

Jan.31.1996
<font color="orange"> Because when I was a kid, Superman was It. Because of that singular character -- invulnerable, unstoppable, whose single goal was to find the right thing and do it -- I decided that I could do anything I set my mind to doing. Truth, justice, and the American way. Yeah, it's corny as hell, and maybe it doesn't parse too well in a "stick it to 'em" society, but as a kid, it *meant* something to me. Okay, I grudgingly accepted that I couldn't fly...but otherwise, if I decided I wanted to do it, then by god I *could* do it. If that meant teaching myself to read at an early age, or dealing with the great personal angst of a family life that was dysfunctional on the best of days, for which invulnerability was a quality much to be desired...or deciding that someday I was gonna be a Writer, then that was what was going to happen.

And to this day, my only agenda is to try and find the right thing, as best as I am able to perceive the right, and do it. Because when you're a kid you're young and foolish enough to believe there IS a Right Thing; you just have to dig long enough and think hard enough and survive the kryptonite long enough to figure it out. And you don't lie, you don't sell out your friends, you put yourself on the line, and anybody who wants to hurt your friends has to go through you first.

These are the lessons learned by a kid; they are tempered with time, but they still shape the adult.</font color>

However, many of the characters in RS remind me of the old time comic book heros (I was not a huge comic book fan when I was younger but did watch the cartoons) so you might not be too far off. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If nothing else, it was an acknowledgement to his comic imprint "Joe's Comics" that he received while he was writing for Top Cow Comics. You can see his imprint in a few shots like this one:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/gfx/covers/jtv/lg/ep/s1/105-comic-lg.jpg

right, so watched first two episodes and after Man Of Iron, Woman Under Glass i'm definately gonna keep watching.

Back