• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

J. Michael Straczynski reveals B5LR details

B5LR

Regular
<font color="#ffffff" size="+1"><a name="985150059">J. Michael Straczynski reveals B5LR details</font>
<font size="3" face="arial">"To Live and Die in Starlight" is telemovie title</font> <font color="silver" size="-2">(posted at 18:40PST)</font>

Now that the news of the B5LR project has been officially announced, J. Michael Straczynski revealed some information on the setting and story. Below is his full post from a B5 newsgroup.

<font face="courier">Well, that's at least ONE weight off my chest....

To those who've heard the news already, and those just now finding out...the SciFi Channel today announced that we have a new Babylon 5 TV movie going into production that will also serve as a pilot for a likely new series.

The movie (and the series) is under the heading of BABYLON 5: THE LEGEND OF THE RANGERS. The specific title for the 2-hour movie's story is "To Live and Die in Starlight."

There isn't much I can tell you about the story because we're kinda keeping the details under wraps as much as possible for the time being. What little I can say....

It's set in the B5 universe just under 3 years after the events of "Objects at Rest." At this point there's one major character from the B5 universe in the script (a fan favorite). Where B5 was a heavy drama with some adventure/action elements, this one is a little more skewed toward adventure with underlying drama (which is about what you'd expect from the Anla-Shok).

We've been sitting on this information for a while now...such that we're already well into pre-production. We'll be shooting this movie around mid-May, well in advance of any potential actor's strike (the script is done and so far everybody likes it a LOT).

We've already got designs coming in on a new ship, and a new *kind* of ship...and we're going to be getting more into Minbari aesthetics, technologies and philosophy.

It's got some great characters, and it's a lot of fun.

I have other news to announce on other fronts...have since the end of the year, in fact...but I'm still sitting on the details awaiting another press release from another studio. What I *can* say is that I have a firm GO order to executive produce a new series (nominally SF) that will go into production after the potential SAG strike. When that's finally over, if the strike indeed happens, we pull the trigger and go into principal photography and it's an order for a full season's worth of episodes.

I can't give you any details right now on the subject, title, studio or network. That will have to await the studio's release...so don't even ask.

As far as doing both projects at the same time is concerned...it's actually quite common, as testified to by folks like John Wells and Aaron Sorkin and David Kelly and others. So there won't be any conflict.

More later.</font>

crazy.gif

I'm new to this group and a BIG B5 fan. Well not big enough I guess. I remember an episode called Objects at Rest but I'm not sure which one it was. I'm excited that JMS and SciFi are breathing life into more B5 series; it's the best Science Fiction work to grace television. Period.
I have many more topics to post but I want to check out the rest of this site first.

WDYW

------------------
There is a greater darkness than the one we fight.
This is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.
The war we fight is not against powers and principalities: it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams.
Against this peril we can never surrender.
-- G'Quan

Welcome

Objects at Rest was, I believe, the last episode of the final season relating to events in the ~5 year arc related to Babylon 5, the station. Of course, the last episode of the series was Sleeping in Light, the last few days of Sheriden and the station ~20 years after the shadow war and ~18 years after Objects at Rest.

Watch the movie to help it produce the new series.
If you would like to see the Babylon 5 series out on DVD then support the newly released DVD with the pilot "The Gathering" and the telemovie "In the Beginning" on it for less than 20 bucks(if you are in North America)

------------------

Welcome to the board, WhatDoYouWant!
smile.gif

Objects at Rest was the last but one episode of B5 (and the last episode of the Season 5 year, timeline-wise) - the last episode being Sleeping in Light which took place a good 18 years after OaR.

So if you're wondering when this new telemovie - pilot movie for a potential new series - takes place, then it should be around 2265, after B5 and before Crusade.
smile.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

heya and welcome WhatDoYouWant?

Yup we all all real excited about the new telemovie.

If you have the time and availability maybe you should go back and rewatch B5 and crusade in antisipation ..

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I'm really excited about this telemovie also and welcome to B5Lr whatdoyouwant
smile.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

Wait,

I thought I remember reading that post from JMS somewhere MONTHS ago. Are you sure that is current? It talks about begining filming in May in there.

Heh, Just remembered where I read that before. It was on the Lurker's Guide of all places. I believe it was posted there in April of this year...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

[This message has been edited by Recoil (edited December 12, 2001).]

Recoil, if you notice the date on the original post in this thread, it says Apr 19, 2001. WDYW just replied to a very old topic.
wink.gif

It kind of freaked me out too when I read it because I kept thinking, "Why is this being posted? It is old news!" That is ... until I realized the date that post was written and a little light bulb went on.
smile.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
It is an infinite helix, the dance of two souls resonating, like the twist of DNA, like the vast universe. --Banana Yoshimoto (Lizard: Dreaming of Kimchee)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited December 12, 2001).]

Yeah, I too have read this before. At first I was excited to see news from JMS, then I realized I had already read it.

Anyhow, welcome to WhatDoYouWant!
smile.gif
I hope you enjoy your time here.

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back