• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Intolerable Cruelty

GKarsEye

Regular
The new Big Romantic Comedy has, for me, one major thing for it and one against it:

Against: a beautiful romantic comedy of beautiful people with beautiful problems. Ugh.

For: Directed by the Coen brothers.

If it has some of the charm an irreverance of Raising Arizona or The Big Lebowski then it may be worth a look. However, in order to preserve my sense of masculinity, if I do go see this it will be with a chick as opposed to my usual practice of going to films alone.

With the Coen Bros. I would expect this to be "a beautiful romantic comedy .... with beautiful problems" in much the same way that Raising Arizona was "a touching family film about a young couple trying to start a family". :cool:

There is no argueing the "beautiful people" part. Then again, I have yet to find a movie situation where looking at Catherine Zeta-Jones was a bad thing. ;)

I know nothing about the new movie other than I have heard it is being released.

All I can think of now is a guy with a stocking on his head running through the streets with "Pampers" under his arm, being shot at, running for his moving getaway car. :LOL:

"Raising Arizona" was great fun, indeed. :LOL: :D :cool:

With the Coen Bros. I would expect this to be "a beautiful romantic comedy .... with beautiful problems" in much the same way that Raising Arizona was "a touching family film about a young couple trying to start a family".

Raising Arizona was deliberately wacky (I can't think of that word without hearing a bicycle horn in my head). Cruelty seems to be designed for a mainstream audience.

And, no, Jones is not hard on the eyes. My admiration for her beauty is just as high as it was when I first saw her in Zorro and my jaw dropped to the floor, my eyes bugged out, I pounded my head in with a mallet, and said "Hubba-hubba."

Raising Arizona was deliberately wacky (I can't think of that word without hearing a bicycle horn in my head). Cruelty seems to be designed for a mainstream audience.

In this case, I consider "mainstream" to be a relative thing. "More mainstream than most Coen Bros. movies" I can buy. However, based solely on the clips in the 30 second TV ads, it does not look to me like it is being played as what I would consider a truly mainstream romatic comedy. To me it looks more reminiscent of Ruthless People than of Sleepless in Seatle.

I believe I've seen all the Coen Brothers films, and liked them all. I'm sure it will be bent in some way. I even learned to like George Clooney by watching O, Brother, where art thou? Catherine Z-J is about as good looking as can be, maybe she'll finally convince me she can really act, with the Coen Bros. help.

Yeah, I really wanted to hate pretty boy Clooney, but after Solaris and O Brother Where Art Thou, I can dig him. He's not a particularly great actor, but very likeable. He is often described as the modern Cary Grant, and I think that's accurate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back