• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

in the beginning question (spoilers)

Yes, Garibaldi indicated it was a "plum" assignement. Was It ?? The ISN reporter indicated that the odds against Babylon 5 lasting six month was quite high. Thus, taking the job commanding Babylon 5 may not have been viewed as a Career enhancing move. Who gets "blamed" if things go wrong ??

Exactly. Garibaldi qualifies his reference to a "plum assignment" by preceding it with "despite all the problems". So at best it was viewed as a mixed blessing. More cautious officers would not have put themselves forward for consideration.

Regards,

Joe

Very good point, Flipper, a very good point indeed. My own proto-theory is that the conspiracy that we see at work in Season Two was really founded by Santiago against his uppity but well-backed VP, and that after Santiago's death Hague took over running the conspiracy.

That's a good point as well. If you've read the Shadow Within, we can also assume from the dates and times that the Clarke conspiracy against Santiago was being set up with Morden during S1 as the Shadows began to move and Morden had become their "ambassador." Its quite possible Santiago could have noticed Clarke getting more and more power hungry and distant while still alive, and started "planning" in case of a coup d'etat.

ok, I have another question from this movie. In the movie, all the people in the earthforce ships are strapped down because they don't have artificial gravity, but in the episode Sheridan becomes Captain of B5, when he's on his ship, him and the other people on the Armagedon are walking around. Even in the episode where B5 is visited by an explorer ship, there appears to be artificial gravity on the explorer ship. I thought the humans were given artificial gravity by the minbari when earth joined the alliance?

ok, I have another question from this movie. In the movie, all the people in the earthforce ships are strapped down because they don't have artificial gravity, but in the episode Sheridan becomes Captain of B5, when he's on his ship, him and the other people on the Armagedon are walking around. Even in the episode where B5 is visited by an explorer ship, there appears to be artificial gravity on the explorer ship. I thought the humans were given artificial gravity by the minbari when earth joined the alliance?

Sheridan's first ship, the Lexington, was an older Earth ship without ANY gravity. The "new" ships, such as the Agamemnon, had rotating sections for gravity.

Although when joining the alliance, the Minbari gave EarthForce artificial gravity tech, it would take years to integrate into a new model and deliver ships.

The question of the Cortez (the explorer class ship) is a better one. I don't recall seeing any rotating sections on that ship.

-Tim

Explorer ships have rotating sections to provide "gravity". The ships themselves are just so big that the sections can be harder to spot. (I believe some are actually covered by outer, non-rotating, structures.)

Regards,

Joe

Spoilers for Season 4:

One has to wonder if the "Advanced Destroyers," which are minus the rotating sections, have gravity.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed the rotating sections on the ships. Have to take a closer look next time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koshfan: i thought the advanced destoyers did have rotating sections. i'll have to go back and check.

Don't bother! The advanced destroyer group definitely did have rotating sections, it was merely the Omega with an experimental bio-organic hull covering and weapons upgrades (beam technology looked incredibly similar to the Drakh's).

As to the Cortez, wasn't the central cylindrical section (coloured blue and silver chequer pattern) the rotating part?

You sure about that, Galahad? I've been wrong many times before, but I thought I was right about this one.

As to the Cortez, wasn't the central cylindrical section (coloured blue and silver chequer pattern) the rotating part?

That's right - I forgot about that! I think JoeD may be correct too, that other rotating parts were covered. I was too lazy to go back and check. ;-)

One question: In Crusade, Each Night I Dream of Home, is the new destroyer class that the senator arrives on using artificial gravity? I can't remember. Anyone know off the tops of their heads?

-Tim

I just popped in the VCD and it's actually quite hard to tell. I can't see a rotating section on that ship, but then again, it could be like the Cortez, and hidden under an outer shell.

The Warlock ship in crusade was built after the Minbari gave Earth Artificial Gravity, so it would not need to rotate. (Same with the Excalibur)

I agree re Excalibur but I'm not convinced about the Warlock class. Didn't Ivanova get her posting to her ship at the end of Season 4? Which was before Earth joined the ISA.

And when the Excalibur was built in 2266, 5 years after the ISA was formed, they were still struggling to get the artificial gravity right.

The Warlock and Excalibur are different vessels, the power distribution on a VCD would be under much more strain due to it's size and more complex systems, probably why it stalled on it's maiden flight!

I've heard that whereas the VCD uses purely gravimetric drive for it's propulsion, the Warlock had a couple of traditional engines/reactors on board, which would relieve stress on the artificial gravity sytem

SPOILER

The Warlock's in one of JMS's short stores are revealed to have been an evidence of another Earthforce dabbling with Shadowtech. Ivanova as a telepath, picks up bad vibes from the ship, taking it to B5 reveals the Shadowtech element.

galahad: what story was that? and where could one get it?

I don't remember the name but it was published in the B5 magazine. Hidden Agendas I think it might have been called!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back