• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I think I understand now..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Why War Zone was placed where it was in the scifi airing order.

First off that episode was awful...worst of the episodes by far. It did more explaining than we needed.

I suppose it was placed second to last because...you don't want it first...it'll put new viewers off...and putting it last would mean it would be the last thing they'd see leaving a bad taste in their mouths...and they have to show it...so they show as far down the airing order as they can.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

You are exactly right, sir.
laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

And that my friends is the shortest post I have ever seen from JoeDM
smile.gif

Terann
aka. Satai Trigati in case Joe thinks I am just some raving loon

------------------
Teeps rule; Mundanes get spaced

Revere the Founders
Obey the Vorta
And don't poke the Jem'Hadar

Yeah I've noticed he enjoys his details.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

"Genius consists of an infinite capacity for taking pains."
smile.gif

"God is in the details"

"The Devil is in the details"

Take your pick.
laugh.gif

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

No matter your opinion on War Zone it still should be shown first in my opinion. It introduced the charectors and explains the shows opening credits at the end.

Capt

------------------
DS9 and B5. Who would have thought 2 of my fav shows would take place on stations in the middle of nowhere :)

"War Zone" was never intended to be first. The fact that it aired first is irrelevant. Airing order in general is irrelevant. Even on B5, the airing order was occasionally different than intended, for various reasons. (The one that stands out in my head is, in third season, "Walkabout" really belongs before "War Without End", but that would have meant WWE part 1 aired before the long US summer hiatus and Part 2 after, and JMS didn't want to do that to fans.)

The only thing TNT did by airing "War Zone" first was turn a *lot* of people off immediately, which is apparently what they wanted. It (and the other TNT-ordered eps) doesn't fit with the "intended" episodes, and I don't just mean about the uniforms. Uniforms are irrelevant. (The word for today is... irrelevant. ;> ) I liked Crusade first time around, though it couldn't be discussed in this house - every conversation would end abruptly with my SO's "It sucks" - but now it makes *sense*.

les

------------------

Of course this whole string is rather odd. No one seems to mind when they air other defunct series out-of-order. Once production has stopped on a series (DEAD) -- especially one in which fewer than 100 episodes aired-- most people are thankful that its airing at all, regardless of order.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrgnPhnx:
The one that stands out in my head is, in third season, "Walkabout" really belongs before "War Without End"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Which would add an unnessecary continuity problem given that Ulkesh is shown to still be on Minbar during WWE part 1.

I have to agree with Captain DS9. Regardless of intentions, its fairly obvious that warzone should have aired first. As far as it being "bad" that seems more of matter of opinion -- there are quite a few who think War Zone was one of the better episodes. If the episode was that bad, then destoy it, but don't screw-up the continuty of the whole thing.

------------------

Hmm, yeah... but who's to say it's the same Vorlon? Perhaps Ulkesh has a brother... or a friend who likes to dress the same.
smile.gif
Perhaps he's the Vorlon ambassador to Minbar.
BTW if Kosh and Ulkesh are the only Vorlons we ever see (the ambassadors on B5, the ones in ItB, the one on Minbar in WWE, the ones 1000 years in the past in WWE), this pair certainly does get around. Hey, I forgot we see a Vorlon in ItF, after Kosh and Ulkesh are dead, and (I think) he had the same fashion designer as Ulkesh. So there are atleast 2 Vorlons who like purple. (GREEN!) (PURPLE!)

------------------
vakie

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm GREEN/PURPLE DRAWZI!!!!!

That was one of the more hilarious B5 episodes. They just showed that one recently and it still cracks me up.

I rewatched three of the Crusade eps that I did catch last night, WarZone, the Lorka 7 one, and the Mr. Welles one.

I enjoyed WarZone so I can't complain about it.

And the Mr. Welles one was much better the second time around (I was awake last night which probably has something to do with it). The pants on the gray uniforms are great, at least on my captains rear they are, but the jackets, just have to go.

LOL

I am actually going to try to get out of the office right now, me not feeling to great today. So I will check in with ya'll tomorrow when I am somewhat human again.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Power of Ten:

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's kinda odd to grouse about airing order, but B5/Crusade fans in general are a bit obsessive about continuity. At least I am.

For my own part, I wasn't entirely pleased with the SciFi order, but it was great to see the series again!

War Zone certainly wasn't the best, but it had a couple of cool moments. I thought it was better than "Visitors from Down the Street." I tried to "get" Visitors. I really, really did, but the humor just fell flat for me. Crying shame that Visitors was filmed and "End of the Line" was not.

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>No one seems to mind when they air other defunct series out-of-order.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since most series don't have an intended airing order, and there is no story continuity that carries from episode to episode, there is no reason for anyone to mind. Apples and oranges.

Where shows do have continuity issues and an ongoing storyline people do mind and complain loudly when it is messed with, no matter how dead the show in question is.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I believe that when (not if) the "Crusade" series is eventually released on video/DVD, Warner Bros. will sequence them roughly according to order-of-continuity, much as was done with the UK video release there...but again, the chronological order is something to think about a bit more closely.

As much as I've groused about several of the upsetting gaffes in the Official B5 Chronology written by Terry Jones (but there were other things done quite well and things that have lately been corrected by him, so I'm more inclined now to give him a great deal more precedence here than about a year or so back), his ordering of the filmed "Crusade" episodes was rather ingenious, and grouped together the original pre-TNT interference five between the "post"-TNT episodes, and back more towards the beginning of the run.

The original TNT sequence:

"War Zone"
"The Long Road"
"The Well of Forever"
"The Path of Sorrows"
"Patterns of the Soul"
"Ruling From the Tomb"
"The Rules of the Game"
"Appearances and Other Deceits"
"Racing the Night"
"The Memory of War"
"The Needs of Earth"
"Visitors From Down the Street"
"Each Night I Dream of Home"

The Official Chronology sequence:

"War Zone"
"The Long Road"
"Appearances and Other Deceits"
"The Memory of War"
"The Needs of Earth"
"Racing the Night"
"Visitors From Down the Street"
"Each Night I Dream of Home"
"The Path of Sorrows"
"Patterns of the Soul"
"Ruling From the Tomb"
"The Well of Forever"
"The Rules of the Game"

-----

As you can see, the first five episodes filmed come towards the beginning of the series (and given the "prestige" of the mission, it does make sense for EarthGov to want to insert itself into the process as soon as possible...much akin to another network that we all curse for various and sundry reasons). This order also spreads out the Lochley and Galen-related episodes a bit more, as JMS originally intended. His sequence for the Sci-Fi Channel, although completely disregarding series continuity, also manages to accomplish much the same goal, as long as one is willing to suspend one's objections momentarily in order to receive a good story.

As I stated above, though, if it does hit home video, the continuity-order will likely be reinstated, simply because WB would not want to honk off potential buyers (many of whom might be newcomers to the entire story) by juxtaposing episodes out-of-sequence in terms of uniform appearances and suchlike.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Leto II (edited May 10, 2001).]

I really enjoyed Visitors From Down the Street. I know people who didn't get it either. Try watching an episode of the X-Files with the Cigarette Smoking Man in.

I loved Gideon talking of home too because it puts into perspective what is lost by being in a ship. In 2010 Curnow said he missed green.

------------------

>>I really enjoyed Visitors From Down the Street. I know people who didn't get it either. Try watching an episode of the X-Files with the Cigarette Smoking Man in.<<

I "got" Vistors. I just thought it sucked. It was a bad b-story that for no apparent reason became an a-story. this kind of humour works well as a b-story (like the very memorable Drazi purple/green story) but the gag just wasn't strong enough to spend a whole hour on. even if there had been a good b-story ..
"Visitors" just ends up w/ a point a few minutes in when every viewer says "oh, this is an X-Files parody" and it just drags after that waiting for a punchline that already happened.

------------------
"I bring the Hand of God and that is all I bring. I speak for the Hand of God. I am the Preacher"
The Preacher - "Children of Dune"

Ohhhhhhhhhh did you have to use that word?????

the ugly one

"dead"

arghhhhhhhh i don't care what order they are in so long as i can watch them.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

Oddly I liked that episode. I was not very happy with the first 50 minutes or so (with commercials in the timing department) but those last ten.

I roared, I don't think I ever laughed so hard. It was appropriate.

It's just a matter of opinion. No more, no less.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back