• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I got the DVD's. :)

TJGuitar85

Regular
I got the DVD\'s. :)

I got the first season and the ITB/Gathering for christmas among various other Anaheim Angels stuff, a few +Live+ cd's and a star trek book.

I love them...Some people moan about the quality...but it sure is nice to not have to deal with TNT logos and SFC Planet logos. My dad tells me it was hard to find ITB/The Gathering...a lot of places were sold out...maybe there's a new interest in that double DVD since the series came out recently. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TJ

Re: I got the DVD\'s. :)

Congrats on getting the DVD's...It makes for a great Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cerberus

Some people moan about the quality...but it sure is nice to not have to deal with TNT logos and SFC Planet logos.

This is true! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact, I am getting really sick and tired of these annoying station logos. Do we really need a constant ad for a channel we are already watching? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

As far as the imperfections go, I am new to the DVD world. But I get the impression that people who have watched many other DVD's have not found such glaring mistakes. I know that the two movies I have watched on DVD had no visual or sound problems like the B5 season 1 set has.

Although I am eager to see Season 2 on DVD, if they could put forth better DVD's, I'd be willing to wait.

I havent seen any mistakes yet, that havent been on tv at least...in fact I see less mistakes...no teapot.

The picture on ITB was kinda grainy at some spots, I dunno.

Does anyone else have a problem with ALL DVD's in general where you have to turn the volume way up to hear them?

TJ

I don't have the DVDs yet . . . but they're on their way. I thought, "well, I'm a starving college student, I probably shouldn't get them unless a whole ton of money falls from the sky." And, lo and behold, a large check sent to me for Christmas with orders to spend it frivolously. (I have the best relatives ever.) So, I was on Amazon a few minutes ago, and before I head back to school, I'll have season one in my back pocket.

<does a small happy dance> Oh Yeah.

This is true! In fact, I am getting really sick and tired of these annoying station logos. Do we really need a constant ad for a channel we are already watching?

I think I heard someone say that the station logos are due to the plethora of channels out there. People who spend a lot of time travelling or bouncing between cities may not know what antennae channel and/or cable channel certain networks are on, so the logo helps you track down what you're looking for.

Also, there are people like one of my friends who don't seem to fully understand the concepts of networks, affiliates, broadcast vs. cable, network vs. syndication, etc. (For instance, I'm betting he thinks Star Trek: The Next Generation was a Fox show because it used to show on the local Fox affiliate; I even thought that long ago before I was "educated" on matters of syndication) So, the logos are also there to help those who seem to only identify shows by their local channel number.

However, I understand what you're talking about. Most logos are okay, especially if they are stationary, but there's one antimated logo, I think for Monster Garage on the Discovery Channel, that is really disctracting.

Does anyone else have a problem with ALL DVD's in general where you have to turn the volume way up to hear them?

I have no problem with that on my computer's DVD player. I have not used my stand-alone DVD player in the living room enough to notice a problem. However, my friend watches DVD's on his PlayStation 2, and he has a horrible time with the sound. Of course, even for normal TV he has to turn it all the way up sometimes. I think half-volume on his TV doubles as whisper mode, one-quarter volume must be mute, and I think low volume actually sucks sound out of the room. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TJ

Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes. I think the manual even mentions this.

I have two different sound settings. Something-or-other "On" or "Off". If you turn it off, IIRC (I'm new to DVD players) the sound is more "even". If it is turned to its on position, there is a wider variation in sound. So loud is louder, and soft seems much softer to me.

I also have Smart Sound on my TV, I don't know how much of a difference that makes. I'm learning this DVD player a bit week by week, as I have time to watch DVD's.

But yes, I have to crank the volume up a lot higher than I'd have it for just the television when I watch a DVD. Any DVD.

I think what yuor referring too is dynamic range...mine was truned off and soft was soft and loud was loud (Specifically, londo's storytelling was soft and the CGI battle scenes were loud...interesting)

I'll turn dynamic range on and see what happens. While Im at it, Maybe i can figure out how to get my VCR/DVD player to stop showing everything in spanish, im sick of seeing "Estereo" instead of stereo /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Woo I can also change the Audio Down sampling from 48khz to 96khz...I also changed the TV ratio from 4:3 pan n scan to 16:9 letterbox and it doesnt have the black bars anymore!! How awesome

I think I heard someone say that the station logos are due to the plethora of channels out there. People who spend a lot of time travelling or bouncing between cities may not know what antennae channel and/or cable channel certain networks are on, so the logo helps you track down what you're looking for.

Exactly. I find this far more helpful than hurtful. I was cruising the channels yesterday for a station and the only place I was really looking was in the lower-right corner. I can't memorize all my cable channels when I have to memorize the design issues for distributed simulation. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There's only so much my brain can hold.

I too got the DVDs yesterday, and popped in discs 1, 2, and 4. MotFL had some noticeable scratches, granted though, I only looked at the beginning of most of the chapters. AtSFoS had some too. Signs and Portents was better, I didn't notice much in the way of scratches and annoying artifacts as often as the previous two. Also, two discs were loose from the hub, but none of the discs had any discernable scratches.

On the upside, the picture looks better. And most of the CGI shots I looked at were fine, with no artifacts or any other problems.

The volume is slightly low on the B5 DVD, its no problem just turn up the volume. As with the PS2, I had this problem with mine, it used to drive me nuts. You need to go into the setup when playing a DVD and swith off optical in and then you can turn up the volume up on the player and everything sounds okay.

I got mine for Christmas as well, and Im wondering what you people are referring to when you are talking about "Glaring Mistakes" or the issue with "Having to turn the sound all the way up to hear it."

Sounds like some serious P.E.B.K.A.C. to me.

I watched a couple episodes on my new 65" HDTV with my Dolby DTS/5.1 Surround receiver hooked up to it. The volume was the same as anything else I watch on TV, I didnt have to adjust it. As for the picture quality, I think it was great! Once I got the TV tweaked for in-home viewing the picture was noticably better than watching it on television. So I really dont see where these complaints are coming from.

One thing you should all remember. If you are compairing, say, Babylon 5 Season 1 DVD to the Lord of the Rings DVD release, you arent comparing apples to apples. Lord of the Rings, and ANY other theatrical release was FIMLED for higher resolution viewing since it was meant for a theatre screen. Babylon 5 was a Television show, so it goes without saying the picture wont be *AS* detailed as a movie DVD. If you want to compare quality of B5, do it with another TV release.

My other DVD gift for Christmas was the series "24" complete first season on DVD. If you want to compare B5 to this, you certainly can. Both have great picture quality, but there is something to note about 24 --- it was NOT remastered in Dolby 5.1! It is still in the Dolby 2.0 release for television. Babylon 5 was completely remastered in 5.1 so for those complaining about the quality and features of the B5 DVD release, try to keep things into perspective. We have a lot of things many other TV series dont.

And for the record, the picture quality on later season releases I am SURE will improve because of how the show was made. S1 was done with a darker look to it intentionally, and that was changed in later seasons. I remember watching Season 5 on Sci-Fi channel and thinking how great everything looked, and then when it concluded and went back to Season 1 it took a bit to adjust to the "lesser" quality look of that season.

I dont have to turn the volume all the way up to hear it, I'm just saying the volume on (ANY) DVD (not just B5) is significantly lower than that of regular television shows or VHS movies.

What is P.E.B.C.A.K?

I use a Pioneer VSX-99OOS a/v stereo receiver, a Mitsubishi big screen projector tv, and a Phillips DVD/VCR, and I dunno the model. Only had the manual for the receiver laying around, the rest isprobably with my dad's stuff:D

TJ

I also changed the TV ratio from 4:3 pan n scan to 16:9 letterbox and it doesnt have the black bars anymore!! How awesome

Unless you have a 16:9 TV you should never use that option. The "black bars" are gone because you are now watching a distorted picture - everything in it looks tall and skinny. (Check any seen that is supposed to have a circle in it - you're now looking at an oval.) Every DVD you own that is widescreen and enhanced for 16:9 televisions is now going to display improperly.

TV vs. Feature Film? Yes, Lord of the Rings was shot on film, but not for "higher resolution". All film inherently captures more information than any practical form of video. (A 35 mm film frame is far more detailed than even HDTV and the digital camera system Lucas used for the new Star Wars films.) B5 was also shot on film. The reasons that TV shows shot on film don't look as good as feature films is discussed in another post above.

Regards,

Joe

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
The reasons that TV shows shot on film don't look as good as feature films is discussed in another post above.

Which post above? Whose?

I'm just saying the volume on (ANY) DVD (not just B5) is significantly lower than that of regular television shows or VHS movies.

I have noticed this as well, havn't a clue why this is thougth. Everything is fine through an a/v amp. I too never said that I had to turn the volume up all the way, just a bit more then normal. Not a complaint just an observation.

Back