• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Hint for dial-uppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElScorcho

Regular
I know I'm old fashioned, still using a dial-up connection and all, but I've recently solved a problem I've been having on this board. Maybe other posters have run into this.

While downloading files elsewhere on the 'net, I sometimes get a glitch where a reply to a post will not go through. The completion bar will get about halfway across and then simply stop. This happens when I've already typed out the post and it goes to the preview page. What I figured out, is that if I skip down to the edit portion of the screen, all I have to do is uncheck the preview feature and click the continue bar there instead of the one on the top part of the page. Then the reply goes right through.

I also am on dial-up. But, YOU have the preview post thingy on? Turn it off /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like to preview it once, to check spelling and to make sure I don't write anything stupid.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Your not old fashioned I use dial up can't afford the cable or broadband services.Way to much money to pay for the internet I don't like what I am paying now.

From the recent survey, I found out that over 50% of users have broadband. At least users that took the survey, of course.

But I was highly surprised, as this completly flies in the face of broadband uptake, which isn't that figure.

I wish we could get broadband in my area. But if it's horribly expensive, I might not bother. Like not wanting to get Showtime just for Jerimiah. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd still have broadband if it were double the price. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Couldn't live without it.

I'd have to move into a bigger city. And that ain't gonna happen. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For me, switching to broadband (first 256/128 cable, now 640/320 ADSL) meant a significant decrease in costs compared to dial-up. Paying telephone charges by minute was quite horrid... basically I was paying more than I pay now even if I only spent half an hour a day online. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I certainly need my ADSL connection, I still grimace at the memory of my phone bills /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The lack of digital TV in my new place is the real pain though. I really really miss it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Good one, Eli. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ant and Kribu: I suppose I'm lucky we have the unlimited-hours deal that we have. Otherwise I'd never be able to teach online or do much of anything else online, either.

It's not a bad deal, and I don't complain about the slower connection speed since I'd have no connection at all without good old dial up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the whole phone bill thing, I too have the unlimited local calling, so it has no affect on my bill.

Also, a lot of phone companies offer DSLs to their customers as part of their phone service. I am currently looking into getting a highspeed connection with SBC. [What do you call someone who pays to much for the internet? An AOL user. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif] I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

How does what work, Eli, unlimited hours or dial-up service? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, though:
I typed in all of my lectures for a 5-credit hour Precalculus class. (I can't tell you how long it took, too! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

They have 10 quizzes and 4 exams that are take-home basically. They work them and send them in to me (either scanned or mailed or campus-mailed).

The quizzes let the students know what material they should be studying from the lectures and from the textbook. The exams are fewer, but worth much more in terms of the grade.

They have to come in to a testing center (or arrange for a proctor) for the midterm and the final exams, which are timed, closed-book, closed notes.

If they ever have a question, I won't work a quiz or exam question for them until they turn it in, but they can find similar problems in the textbook and ask me to work them. I work them out by hand, scan them on my scanner at home or at work, and email it to them.

It works pretty well, if the students can stay disciplined and keep up with the work. It is a LOT of work.

Hope that answers your question, Eli. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, that helped /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You sound like a great teacher! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSL's not available in my area, and $80 for cable internet is just incredibly ridiculous... (note: cable internet acess itself is only $40/mo, but that assumes that you already subscribe to their digital cable tv service, which also costs $40/mo and which I do not have..... even if Eli does find my not having cable to be rather odd).

Well, usally people on the internet have cable or sat...not always though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where are you getting your information, Eli? Or are you just assuming?

By the way, it's spelled "usually".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back