• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Have a B5LR telemovie character named after you!

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">Have a B5LR telemovie character named after you!</font>
<font size="3">SciFi.com gives you a shot at "sci-fi immortality"</font>

The SciFi.com website has started a unique competition, for you to have a character in the upcoming telemovie named after you. The competition, which runs until the end of Thursday May 10 2001, gives you a chance to have a captain named after you.

The website says, "No, this isn't a casting call — it's a contest! Enter for your shot at sci-fi immortality. We'll choose one lucky winner who will have a character in the upcoming movie Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers named after her or him. We can't give you many details, but we will say the character will come complete with the rank of captain and has a very slim chance of making it through the movie alive!"

You can visit the competition page by clicking here. You will need to register as a SciFi.com member, and the competition is—for some reason—only available to those in the US. Perhaps those of us not in the US don't have good enough names!

Thanks to Ken Andrews for sending this in.

Okay, I'm just going on record to say that:

a) this really bites that people outside the US can't enter

and 2) if anybody from the States wants to enter for me, using my screen name 'anait' or my real name 'tiana', I would be forever grateful!!!
laugh.gif

------------------
"Every minute of every day we choose; who we are, who we forgive, who we defend and protect. We choose a side, or to walk the line. To play the middle. To straddle the fence between what is and what should be..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>a) this really bites that people outside the US can't enter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in fairness to The Sci-Fi Channel the movie is being produced for their network, which is only available in the U.S. AFAIK. So they want to limit the contest to their own fans who will actually be in a position to see the movie (along with all their friends and relatives, which will hopefully goose the ratings a bit
smile.gif
) when it first airs.

Sort of a drag, but I can understand why they're doing it. (Besides, anything that increases my odds of winning is a Good Thing.
laugh.gif
)

If SFC orders the series you may get another chance anyway. JMS himself did this at least a couple of times during B5's run, at conventions. (Although at least one of those involved a charity raffle where you bought a ticket to get into the drawing if memory serves, and I think both were limited to people attending the cons.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

I don't think that it actually says that only US people can enter, so I just squeezed in all the relevant details in the fields that were provided.

hmm wonder what the New Vegas odds are on winning this thing. I just registered as well. I wonder if only the 1st name or both the first and last name will be used.

probably first and last...since a million Steven's could enter the contest(that's my real name) so they could all win if they used only first.

So first and last would be more specific.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

From the official rules:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>3. To be eligible to enter this Sweepstakes, an entrant must be 18 years of age or older as of April 30, 2001 and a legal resident of the continental United States. Employees, and any agents and relatives of employees, of USA Cable or any of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, or advertising and promotion agencies, are not eligible to participate in or enter this Sweepstakes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always read the official rules before entering any contest, sweepstakes or giveaway.
smile.gif
More:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>4. The Sweepstakes will commence on April 30, 2001 at 5:00PM EST. All email entries must be received by midnight, Friday, May 11, 2001.

5. The winning entry will be selected purely at random by USA Cable. The winner will be announced on Monday, May 14, 2001 as production on the telefilm commences in Vancouver, Canada. The first eligible entry drawn will receive the Grand Prize set forth in item 8 below.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Items 6. and 7. are legal boilerplate about how the winner agrees not to sue USA Networks for an injury real or imagined, etc. and item 8. merely says that the Grand Prize is having a character in the movie named after you.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

If my name is chosen, the beer's on me! I certainly wish the chances were a little better. That would be so awesome to have a B5 character named after yourself. Oh well, there's always hope.

------------------
You name it, sooner or later, everyone comes to Babylon 5.
-Commander Jeffrey David Sinclair, The Gathering

Yes, I'll be in the choir saying it bites that anyone outside the US can't enter, but I do understand the reasons for it. I guess the odds of winning would be pretty slim anyhow, so I won't loose any sleep over it.

"We can't give you many details, but we will say the character will come complete with the rank of captain and has a very slim chance of making it through the movie alive!"

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds more than a bit like the character of Captain Anderson (Tony Todd) from ACtA?

vakie

------------------

I entered the contest, as did my wife.
smile.gif

It would be cool to be picked for this. I once had a friend who submitted a spec script to the STTNG office - if it had gotten through to production, the name of the caption of the ship in question was Joe Siegler. It didn't happen.

However, I did get into a STTOS novel a few years ago. Don't know if anyone's read the Star Trek novel "Doctor's Orders", but I'm in there as one of Dr. McCoy's medial assistants. "Lt. Joe Siegler". I later get eaten by a tree. When Diane Duane asked me what I wanted my character to do, I said "die".
smile.gif

------------------
Joe Siegler
Webmaster - 3D Realms

Stupid website designers - ignoring those of us who don't happen to use Explorer. In my browser, Mozilla, the whole page looked completly screwed up, and the link to the rules page was invisible.

frown.gif

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited May 02, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Joseph DeMartino:
Well, in fairness to The Sci-Fi Channel the movie is being produced for their network, which is only available in the U.S. AFAIK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not that it changes anything Joe, but there is a UK feed of SFC.
I don't think SwiftBiscuit is a catchy name for a B5 character anyway!
laugh.gif

Drakh, do you have the latest Mozilla release? My version renders the page almost exactly like IE5.5 (different paragraph line sizes)

------------------
"Our ratings in the UK are just fine. It's just the English sci-fi press, or what passes for it, that hates us. And screw them anyway." - Zack Stenz, Andromeda staff writer

[This message has been edited by SwiftBiscuit (edited May 02, 2001).]

In regards to the US elitsm, it's more a legal thing rather than just wanting it for US fans. It stinks.

I'm writing scripts, in the hopes of getting an agent and maybe selling them. If anyone asks nicely, and has an interesting name, I may consider taking their name or a bit of it. My friend Ali, a guy, I think his so glad his name has mutated into Alison.
smile.gif

I'm actually creating an original show, which I will write the pilot script for. The chances of it ever being produced are so utterly small, but it's good for my portfolio to show I can do original stuff.

------------------
Star_TrekMISC261580.jpg
<font size="-2" color="silver">"The Babylon Project was our last, best, hope for peace.
A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral
territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter
of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space,
all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of
mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is
the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is
2259: the name of the place is Babylon 5."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Not that it changes anything Joe, but there is a UK feed of SFC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding was that Sci-Fi U.K. is an independent network, owned by the same parent company, or a consortium that includes the parent, but not a mere "U.K. feed" of the same material that airs in the U.S., the way there are East coast and West coast "feeds" in the States. (In fact, I don't think that would be legal.) Certainly Sci-Fi U.K. had Babylon 5 at a time when Sci-Fi U.S. didn't.

So I don't think that the Rangers movie is automatically going to run on SFCUK (intertesting initials
smile.gif
) just because it is being produced by SFCUS. The British SFC will probably have to make its own deal with Warner Bros. to air the show, assuming some other network in the U.K. doesn't beat them to it.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
The British SFC will probably have to make its own deal with Warner Bros. to air the show, assuming some other network in the U.K. doesn't beat them to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If the series is comissioned, then it'll probably be chopped in two and sold as part of the first season like the Gathering was with B5. I don't know if SciFi UK can aford a first run show, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwiftBiscuit:
Drakh, do you have the latest Mozilla release? My version renders the page almost exactly like IE5.5 (different paragraph line sizes)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't bother waiting for the releases and download the nightly builds instead. Much more exciting
smile.gif
. The one I'm currently using is 2 days old, so it might be a new bug. The main problem is that the background is missing, so I can't see the text.

palaemon, my guess is that if your name was drawed they'd use you're last name since it'll be Captain. XXXX. Since I don't think they need anymore david's lol.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"

I have decided to not entire the contest. Sure, I want my name to be etched in sci-fi lore forever, but I'm going to do it another way. You just wait and see.

Not that I would've actually won, I'm just saying.

------------------
Nothing's the same anymore.

rogeralmond.com

[This message has been edited by Not The One (edited May 03, 2001).]

yeah..like it would've been weird if for Crusade's run on SFC they would've aired A Call to Arms in 2 parts as episodes of the series.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back