• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

First One Races

Mr. Bester

Beyond the rim
Does anyone know the names of any other first one races besides the Vorlons, Shadows, Walkers of Sigma 958 and Lorien's race?

------------------

Walkers at Sigma 957. And their real name is alledgedly 15,000 letters long - JMS on the Lurker's Guide:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> As for the walkers at sigma 957...the recognition signal is their name, which is 15,000 letters long (we had to cut this line for time). So I can't really repeat it here <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regards

------------------
Calculus and alcohol don't mix. NEVER drink and derive.

The Kirishiac, flying their Kirishiac Lordship with hyper-dense armor and gravitic weaponry. These are the youngest of the first ones, and the most warlike. In ancient times they thought they could take on the rest of them, but lost that war...

The Torvalus are flying the stealthy, powerlaser-armed Dark Knife; these water-born, manta-shaped creatures like to keep hidden, observe and make bets on the actions of younger races. Once they also were into warfare and strength through conflict, but left that behind a loong time ago.

The Mindriders, with their "Thoughtforce" starship. They are almost as old as the Vorlons, quickly evolved beyond their bodies and are masters or psionic powers - all their tech is actually a result of these powers. They like to make vacations in the minds of younger races, and enjoy watching their actions.

Everyone knows the Vorlons already...

The Walkers with their Traveler starship were also mentioned - they are exploration-crazed and always away mapping some other dimension (they actually discovered Thirdspace before the Vorlons did, but since they didn't make a door that one caused no problems...). In fact, all their weapons are actually scientific devices on extreme power - they really can (and do) scan something until it desintegrates...

And our favorite Shadows are also well known to any B5 fanatic...

Finally, the Triad. They are actually only three beings, but poweful beyond anything except Lorien. Their Triumviron is actually constructed by them at a moments notice from the energy of the cosmos, and they can repair it just by the strength of their will. Older than all the others these three were divided once through their philosophy (one likes order, one chaos, and one neutrality), but came together again once they realized that they completed each other.

And apart from these "ancients", there is The First One, Lorien (though since he never went beyond the rim to check out other galaxies, we actually don't know if there's an older being living in another galaxy, or dimension...)

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

"Go on, watch out for Shadows - we'll watch you right back!"

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

Ok,

And you came up with these descriptions from...where?

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Same place he gets all his first one data: Agents of Gaming's B5 Wars Game.

As for its canonicity, that's been debated ad nauseum in other threads.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

And the result of those debates? I assume unless it was something outlined by JMS then its not cannon. So Im guessing the answer is that it really isnt?

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Same place he gets all his first one data: Agents of Gaming's B5 Wars Game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aaahhh, they know me and my ways...
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And the result of those debates? I assume unless it was something outlined by JMS then its not cannon. So Im guessing the answer is that it really isnt?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just The opportunity to post the foreword from AoG's Rules Compendium again - it says a bit about that point...

Getting it Right
Making a television series like BABYLON 5 requires that you think like an Irish border collie: you have to be detail oriented, maniacally obsessive, tightly focused and utterly relentless. The massive and intertwined plots and stories aside, there are a million tiny details that you have to get right. How does the centrifugal force inside B5 create gravity? How can a Starfury fly backwards while firing forward? What's the gravity on Mars?
You know why you have to get them right? Because if you don't, you get letters. ("No, no, it should be centripedal, not centrifugal you idiot. And by the way, can I have an autographed picture so I can hang it in the basement of my Mom's house where I'm living while finishing up my third PhD in quantum mechanics?")
Sometimes it's difficult to make licensees understand the importance of getting the details right. For a show like B5, this is massively important. As Michelangelo said, "Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
So you will understand how wonderful the experience of working with Agents of Gaming has been throughout the history of B5. They were not only among the first to come aboard and license B5, they instantly understood our desire to Get Things Right in the smallest detail, and even took it a step further, becoming even more rigorous than we were.
How rigorous you ask?
When other licensees needed information on ship configurations or weapon capabilities, we referred them to the Agents of Gaming books (such as the one you are nor holding in your hands). When we were in production and engaged in the writing of episodes or the mapping out of sets, if I was not available to answer a specific question on a technical area covered by AoG... the people involved were directed to go to the AoG books. Whenever AoG's miniatures showed up on the set, there was always a feeding frenzy of the sort usually associated with an unlucky cow falling into a river filled with piranha.
What I'm saying, in this roundabout way, is that if you want the Real Deal, if you want accuracy, canonical authority, and the best of the best when it comes to BABYLON 5 licensing and gaming... you've come to the right place.
Enjoy.

J. Michael Straczynski
Creator/Writer/Executive Producer
BABYLON 5

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowScout:

Finally, the Triad. They are actually only three beings, but poweful beyond anything except Lorien. Their Triumviron is actually constructed by them at a moments notice from the energy of the cosmos, and they can repair it just by the strength of their will. Older than all the others these three were divided once through their philosophy (one likes order, one chaos, and one neutrality), but came together again once they realized that they completed each other.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahem I thought the Shadows were the oldest next to Lorien. Am I wrong, but thanks for the info anyways?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Ahem I thought the Shadows were the oldest next to Lorien. Am I wrong, but thanks for the info anyways?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, from the show and JMS's postings we only know that Lorien and his people are older then all the others, that the Shadows are older than the Walkers "by a smidge", and older than the Vorlons by quite a bit of time ("already old when the ancients were young"); and that the Mindriders are almost as old as the Vorlons.

The show doesn't mention where the others fit in; but neither does it mention that there are no spaces where they can't be.

So according to AoG fluff, the Triad are one of those that evolved in a time when there were only few creatures around (as seen in the fact that their whole race consists of only three beings); and were found and tought by Lorien and his people (who had already been around a long time by then).

WB and BP aproved the supplement (as they do all AoG stuff - without this approval AoG can't release a supplement), so I guess they didn't see anything wrong with it. Which makes it official.
wink.gif

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back