• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Firefly movie and DVD news (minor spoilers)

Here's the good word from Cap'n Tight Pants himself:
SciFi Wire article

Aw, don't worry Nathan ... we'll just be calling you Captain Tight Ass from now on :D

And if any of you want to read the transcripts for the unaired eps they're here . Forgive me Great Maker.

It's bizarre. A movie. Erm.. no one watched you on TV, what makes you think they'd watch a film?

I'd watch it on film. I will definately buy the dvds. I think the reason some people didn't watch is the same reason I didn't watch it when it came out. I heard it was a western in space. It didn't sound interesting, so I didn't bother. Someone had to tell me to watch the first episode before I liked it. A lot of shows are like this. No one watched it the first time, but it gained popularity over time.

Yes, so many people that Fox soon commissioned a second season. Oh no, wait, they didn't. Wonder why that was. Compared to Dark Angel it was crap, and it got considerably less viewers to back this up. :p

Yes, so many people that Fox soon commissioned a second season. Oh no, wait, they didn't. Wonder why that was. Compared to Dark Angel it was crap, and it got considerably less viewers to back this up. :p

Yes, so many people that Fox soon commissioned a second season.
I don't need "many people" to prove your previous statement that "no one watched" false -- I just need one :p Logic. Learn to love it.

Compared to Dark Angel it was crap, and it got considerably less viewers to back this up.
... and speaking of logic :LOL: Since when have ratings, or the decisions of Fox network executives, ever been a reliable litmus test for quality?

The issues here are quite simple:
1.Joss Whedon felt he had a story to tell and he's still fighting to tell it. Those who liked that story are thankful for that.
2. You still blame "Firefly" for the cancellation of "Dark Angel". "Firefly" didn't cancel "Dark Angel" -- Fox did. Embrace your pain, spank your inner moppet and get over it.

Yes, so many people that Fox soon commissioned a second season.
I don't need "many people" to prove your previous statement that "no one watched" false -- I just need one :p Logic. Learn to love it.

Compared to Dark Angel it was crap, and it got considerably less viewers to back this up.
... and speaking of logic :LOL: Since when have ratings, or the decisions of Fox network executives, ever been a reliable litmus test for quality?

The issues here are quite simple:
1.Joss Whedon felt he had a story to tell and he's still fighting to tell it. Those who liked that story are thankful for that.
2. You still blame "Firefly" for the cancellation of "Dark Angel". "Firefly" didn't cancel "Dark Angel" -- Fox did. Embrace your pain, spank your inner moppet and get over it.

I know Firefly didn't cancel it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

And to me, it's just so mad. It's not like Dark Angel or Farscape which has at least proved it can pull in viewers, Firefly never did in any big way.

I know Firefly didn't cancel it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

And to me, it's just so mad. It's not like Dark Angel or Farscape which has at least proved it can pull in viewers, Firefly never did in any big way.

It's bizarre. A movie. Erm.. no one watched you on TV, what makes you think they'd watch a film?

I agree with you, it's a monumentally stupid thing to do. (Although you could've made a similar argument about a failed sci-fi series called Star Trek) I don't know what it is about Joss and Firefly, he just can't let it die... he pretty much let Buffy (his claim to fame) suffer at the hands of Marti Noxon in order to get Firefly off the ground and then he gives us Nathan Fillon as the Big Bad in Buffy's swan song.

That's not to say that I didn't like Firefly, I thought it was one of the most original things I ever saw on television, but Ant is right... nobody watched it.

I agree with you, it's a monumentally stupid thing to do. (Although you could've made a similar argument about a failed sci-fi series called Star Trek) I don't know what it is about Joss and Firefly, he just can't let it die... he pretty much let Buffy (his claim to fame) suffer at the hands of Marti Noxon in order to get Firefly off the ground and then he gives us Nathan Fillon as the Big Bad in Buffy's swan song.

That's not to say that I didn't like Firefly, I thought it was one of the most original things I ever saw on television, but Ant is right... nobody watched it.

Understood, but allow me to Dr. Phil for a moment: you think it's nuts that a show you didn't like is getting a second chance while the shows you did like aren't, and you're using their relative ratings to backup your outrage.

Forget the ratings. It's no longer about the ratings -- it's about the skill, status and convictions of the series' respective showrunners. If the makers of "Dark Angel" and "Farscape" don't use their resources to revive their oeuvres then there's no way it's gonna happen. Ever.

Even if I hated "Firefly", I would have to respect Joss Whedon for his continuing struggle to tell his story -- especially in the face of low ratings. Anytime an auteur holds his art and his audience, no matter how small, in higher esteem than the regard of the almighty forces of the entertainment Powers That Be is a time for celebration.

Understood, but allow me to Dr. Phil for a moment: you think it's nuts that a show you didn't like is getting a second chance while the shows you did like aren't, and you're using their relative ratings to backup your outrage.

Forget the ratings. It's no longer about the ratings -- it's about the skill, status and convictions of the series' respective showrunners. If the makers of "Dark Angel" and "Farscape" don't use their resources to revive their oeuvres then there's no way it's gonna happen. Ever.

Even if I hated "Firefly", I would have to respect Joss Whedon for his continuing struggle to tell his story -- especially in the face of low ratings. Anytime an auteur holds his art and his audience, no matter how small, in higher esteem than the regard of the almighty forces of the entertainment Powers That Be is a time for celebration.

he pretty much let Buffy (his claim to fame) suffer at the hands of Marti Noxon in order to get Firefly off the ground and then he gives us Nathan Fillon as the Big Bad in Buffy's swan song.

Couldn't agree more, and that probably factors into my anger too. At least Gina Torres was superb in Angel, in a superb story.

he pretty much let Buffy (his claim to fame) suffer at the hands of Marti Noxon in order to get Firefly off the ground and then he gives us Nathan Fillon as the Big Bad in Buffy's swan song.

Couldn't agree more, and that probably factors into my anger too. At least Gina Torres was superb in Angel, in a superb story.

At least Gina Torres was superb in Angel, in a superb story.

Yeah, I couldn't mention Gina Torres, because I loved her in that role and I loved that entire story line. The fact that Angel's big bad wasn't your typical all-out-evil being was definitely refreshing. And the fact that the Angel crew caused more pain and suffering in the world than any big bad possibly could was a cool twist a well. At least Joss left Angel in somewhat capable hands while Buffy was being run into the ground.

At least Gina Torres was superb in Angel, in a superb story.

Yeah, I couldn't mention Gina Torres, because I loved her in that role and I loved that entire story line. The fact that Angel's big bad wasn't your typical all-out-evil being was definitely refreshing. And the fact that the Angel crew caused more pain and suffering in the world than any big bad possibly could was a cool twist a well. At least Joss left Angel in somewhat capable hands while Buffy was being run into the ground.

Back