• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Fashion Sense ...

Loadhan

Regular
So who had the best and worst Fashion sense of the years around 2260?

Earth Force uniforms
Psi Corps outfits / Psi Cops uniforms
Independent Babylon 5 uniforms
Minbari religious (and possible worker?) robes
Minbari warrior attire
Delenn's outfits - which were often strikenly different than normal Minbari
Ranger uniforms
Narn basic outfits
G'kar's fashion (gotta love that coat)
Centauri regalia
Centauri military uniform
Anything from the League ...

And any other uniforms you want to add.

I'm not sure myself; EarthForce was too simple and not exciting; Minbari often too drab; Narn usually not very colourful or interesting; Centauri too flashy but sometimes quite nice. The B5 black was very sweet uniforms though. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Loadhan

Sometimes I think the Centauri's hair make them look like they stuck their finger in a light socket. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Have you ever noticed the eps in which Sheridan wears casual clothes? (Eg - Messages from Earth, Face of the Enemy.) Very '90s and not at all futuristic.

I'm no fashion expert (my girlfriend will tell you that /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif), but I very much doubt that people in the 23rd Century will be wearing leather jackets and jeans!

Narn higher echelon clothes: G'Kar's ambassadorial outfit, the stuff his uncle G'Sten wore, the general Na'Tok in season 5, even that creep Na'Fal in A Day in the Strife had nice clothes (the only good thing about him). Not too flashy but definitely relaying a sense of the person's authority and power, eliciting respect, all that.

The Army of Light black uniforms: I might not be the greatest fan of Delenn but she sure could design a decent uniform for humans. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

The Vorlons. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Hey, I mean, they wore shower curtains! Just how trendy can one get? Even today's fashion designers haven't thought of that! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Good:
The Army of Light uniforms
Some of Delenn's outfits (mainly from season 2 and later)
G'Kars tunica and other Narn outfits

Bad:
Earthforce Uniforms (Juck)
Some Minbari robes (including most of Delenn's from Season 1)Centauri Uniforms

(With bad, i don't say the fashion departmend did a bad job)

Shadow Encounter Suits. Now that species had a truly refined sense of fashion. Most suits look lousy without a tie (take a look at the Vorlon ones) but the Shadows found a way around it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

------

On matters related to Delenn, I will refuse to comment. If anything she wears looks nice, it must no longer be the clothing but the person who causes that impression...

Good
All minbari robes especially Delenn's from season one
Earthforce uniforms
Bad
Ranger uniforms
Narn
Babylon 5 independent uniform

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bester:
<font color=yellow>Have you ever noticed the eps in which Sheridan wears casual clothes? (Eg - Messages from Earth, Face of the Enemy.) Very '90s and not at all futuristic.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

BUT in the 23rd century Sheridan's clothes would be "retro!" /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Re: Retro!

I always thought that Londo dressed like Napolean Bonaparte. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

I like the Ranger outfits, and I think the black outfits that Delenn had made for the command staff after they broke away from earth in season 3 look pretty cool too.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bester:
<font color=yellow>LOL!

Like us wearing 19th Century clothes! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>I hope ours a just a bit more practical. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Bad
Ranger uniforms
Narn
Babylon 5 independent uniform
<hr></blockquote>
Whats wrong with the Ranger Uniforms and B5 Independent uniforms? Those 2 were my favorite along with Gaim. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Not to mention the important Narns' clothes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif **Drools**
But the army of light uniforms were just *so* much better than the Earthforce blue ones! Although I must admit that Earthforce dress uniforms weren't bad, they were quite nice in fact.

One thing I really liked was the collarless shirts. But the men's (humans) civilian jackets' cut was pretty bad to my eyes, I hated the collars there. /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Why wouldn't we be wearing jackets and jeans in the future. They are both pretty functional and comfortable.

Somehow I doubt future fashions will be much like what is shown in many old scifi movies. At what point does everyone get issued their indentical silver jumpsuit?

I like the formal male jackets.........no colar, and with that piece of fabric around the back that looks like it's buttons on to the sides /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Well, for one thing EarthGov and EarthForce represent a particular segment of the culture. Just as many people on this planet today don't wear t-shirts, jeans and business suits, many in the 2260s won't wear what businessmen, politicians and soldiers of the dominant Earth culture do. But since those are the people the story is about, it follows that we'll mostly see the kind of clothes they wear. (Just as western or "European" attire has become the standard international "uniform" of such people on Earth today.)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Like us wearing 19th Century clothes!<hr></blockquote>

Actually, we pretty much do. Suits, shirts with collars, neckties all came into vogue in the 19th century and we haven't changed our apparel all that radically since. Look at photographs from the American Civil War or the frontier west and (except for some details like hats and mustaches) they are strikingly modern. There was a much bigger change in fashion between the 18th century (all those powdered wigs for men, knee-breeches and the like) and the 19th than between the 19th and the 20th. Even the hairstyles are recognizably "modern" in the photographs I mentioned. (I've seen a picture of one of the men involved with John Wilkes Booth in the Lincoln assassination conspiracy that looks as much like an ill-tempered Hell's Angel as anything else - except that his hair is probably shorter. He even appears to be wearing something much like a t-shirt.)

People living around the Mediterranean wore the basic Greek tunic for the better part of 1,000 years. Over it some wore the Roman toga for around 600. Loose-hanging gowns, belted at the waist, and cloaks (hooded or not) were the basic dress in most of Europe - for both sexes - from the fall of the Western Empire until the 1500s.

Although fabrics and colors have changed, we're still wearing button or pull-over shirts, trousers, and various accessories, the roots of which go back to the days when those European gowns were going out of fashion, and which acheived something like their current form between 1800 and 1850. Why should we expect that this would all be totally replaced in another couple of hundred years?

Regards,

Joe

Yes, I was thinking of the 18th century. Those ridiculous skirts! And, as you say, the powdered wigs.

Not to mention people didn't bathe every day. Yeech! /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow>Actually, we pretty much do.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
As long as we talk about men, then I agree. As for women - well, I'd say the change in women's general attire has been almost as big as between the 18th and the 19th century. Sure you can say that some women still wear a dress but apart from a traditional-looking wedding dress, not too many women today prefer walking around in such gowns, not to mention the corset, every day. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back