• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Falling Toward Apotheosis... Again

Well, last night, at 5PM Eastern Time, SciFi showed Falling Toward Apotheosis. It's difficult to find an episode with more going on in it!

This is the episode in which we see:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
Kosh lose what's left of his life;
Sheridan lose what's left of Kosh;
Lyta lose her relationship with the Vorlons;
Lorien lose some more life energy (how much does he have, anyway?);
Londo lose a chance to protect G'Kar;
G'Kar lose his eye;
</font></td></tr></table>

and more!

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
Mr. Garibaldi is also acting a little... edgy...
</font></td></tr></table>

Where do you rate this episode?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I rate the air time of 5pm EST pretty low, I'll say that much. I don't get home until 7EST
mad.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

The focus on Ulkesh was a little boring to me, this is still one of my favorite episodes because I love that 6-episode mini-arc that involves Lorien & Cartagia. I believe that was really when B5 was at its best, especially if you include the last 5 to 8 episodes of Season 3. The show was never more intense, mysterious, or complex as it was during the height of the Shadow War.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

I love this episode. It's excellent. Definitely makes my list of favorite episodes, if I was to ever make one.
laugh.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

It's high in my list of episodes that would never be seen on Star Trek, especially the final scene
crazy.gif

I got awfully tired of Mr. Garibaldi even making allowances for the Bester input. As was made clear, it was his own nature that made him act the way he did. Bester just enhanced it.

Also wasn't this the episode where Sheridan proposed to Delenn? Can't forget that.
wink.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

"You have never seen a Vorlon enraged... they are more powerful than you can imagine..."

404_11.jpg

LOVE that quote
smile.gif

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

This is one of my favorite, if not my all-time favorite. Gee, I wonder why...

*cough* avatar *cough*

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> It's incredible just how much action, passion, emotion, etc. could be packed into a 42-minute episode.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, what about the other 18 minutes? They're chock full of passion and emotion, too. Can't you just feel the love that Howie Long and that Superman chick have for Radio Shack products? Or how awesome all those Sci-Fi channel shows and feature film presentations are? I get misty-eyed just thinking about it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by GKarsEye (edited January 04, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Hey, what about the other 18 minutes?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, we don't get 18 minutes of advertising squished between 42 minutes of actual programming.
tongue.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Definitely one of the best episodes of the series. I usually forget the name though... just dump it together with the "first six of season four" as they were pretty great, all of them, and as said above, easily the best part of the whole show.

It's incredible just how much action, passion, emotion, etc. could be packed into a 42-minute episode.

Even the Vorlon stuff - the grand battle of the Koshes - was great, although it felt just a little too long for me.
tongue.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

I was just watching it on vid the other day, and it is quite possibly the best, that or one near it.

------------------
Lyta had a little Vorlon
Her skin was pale as snow
And everywhere that Lyta went
Her Vorlon was sure to go.

Definitely one of my favorite eps. But what I want to know, is how many had to look 'apotheosis' up in the dictionary to know what it means? I'd bet that Trek would never allow such a word in a title, because a lot of people wouldn't know what it means.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'd bet that Trek would never allow such a word in a title, because a lot of people wouldn't know what it means. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever heard JMS tell the story about the "Jake & the Fatman" episode where he stuck in a reference to Captain Ahab?
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Let's just say, it's an all time Classic.

And it was a great victory for Ignorance and Marching Morons everywhere.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Ooh, we're all so smart because we know what a big fancy word means. Well I had to look it up, so
tongue.gif

------------------

GKE, I had to look it up too, and I expect most people wouldn't know the meaning, yet it is in a title, which is fine with me, but i doubt Trek would allow that. Bakana, I haven't come across the Ahab thing, but I have read that only for the past couple of years have editors allowed film critics to use the term 'film noir', because it was considered too esoteric. One wonders if they deliberately try to keep us stupid. And the answer is... yes.
crazy.gif
mad.gif
crazy.gif

------------------

One of the MBAs asked about a reference to a character that they didn't see. Who is this Ahab you're talking about? We didn't see him in the show?

JMS was forced to cut the reference because the idiot had no idea who Ahab was.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Here's JMS story about Ahab:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> When I was working on JAKE AND THE FATMAN (no defense offered), I had a script I'd written about a cop who's been trying to nail a certain bad guy for the last 10 years. I had a line in that when they meet: the bad guy says, "I suppose I should be flattered. Not every man has his own, personal Ahab." A pretty spiffy line.

The network calls. "We think there's a typo; there's a character referenced named Ahab, but we don't see him anywhere else in the script."
My exec tries to explain to the network suit... see, it's Ahab...Captain Ahab... you know, MOBY DICK... a nut chasing a big fish...?"
The network guy says, "Look, I have an MBA [I think we already see part of the problem here - jms] from Harvard and if I don't know who Ahab is, nobody else is going to, so cut it out of the script."
And so it went, over my strongly stated objections.
JMS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Thanks, Bakana. That strikes me as pretty typical. It probably will come as no shock when I tell you that MBA's are screwing up more than just the creative world. About 10 years ago, I bought a $3,000 table saw for my business. It had about half a dozen problems that seemed to come from incorrect assembly in the factory, and an accessory part that wasn't in any of the literature I could find. So I called the factory rep to come to the shop and help me out. The old guy who had just retired could assemble these things in his sleep. The new guy was an MBA, and knew nothing about machinery, and couldn't answer any of my questions. He just kept repeating "What can we do to make it right?" He probably learned that line in biz school. They wound up paying me $3-400 to putz around with it until it worked right. I never did find out what the accessory part was for. Why those idiots are let loose on things they have no understanding of, I'll never know.

------------------

JJ:

At least the guy didn't tell you it was your fault! We should be grateful for the little things... But this is why so many of us are driving foreign cars these days.
frown.gif

And if we're really getting literary, Melville got the name "Ahab" from the Bible.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

An MBA doing Customer service work?

Think about it. Even as MBAs go, he must have been a Real dummy for them to demote him that far down the ladder.

For an MBA, Finance, Accounting and Management are the "preferred" job tracks.

Places where they can /s/t/e/a/l/ earn stock options by firing people until the company LOOKS better off because they "Fixed" all the problems.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back