• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

GKarsEye

Regular
From the quirky, post-modern existentialist mind of possibly the only current screenwriter who's a household name, Charlie Kaufmann's script lovingly transformed into an achingly beautiful and stormy portrayal of what I consider to be the most moving, honest examination of relationships in cinema for a very, very long time.

Jim Carrey continues to shoot for an Oscar nod and this time it may be justified. His brand of schmaltz actually has a place here and this is the first character he's ever played I can relate to. The infinitely adorable Kate Winslet displays her talent in all its glory, casting all doubts aside that she is one of our most talented starlets (and granting a long-held wish to us men smitten with her who prayed to the God of Cinema, "Please cast Ms Winslet in a GOOD movie and which doesn't end with her drowning or possibly drowning!").

The plot is absurd, as have been all of Kaufmann's plots (Being John Malkovish, Adaptation, etc). And, like those movies, it plays with structures and toys with the audience's intellect. But unlike those films, this movie has heart- so much heart, that it might breaks yours. The genius of it is that is not maudlin or saccharine, qualities that have put romances or romantic comedies off my cinematic radar as a movie-goer. Without getting into too many details, the film accurately channels some basic truths about love:
- We are either doomed or blessed (depending on how you look at it) to repeat our mistakes.
- The aspects of a lover's personality that you love will also be responsible for that which you shall come to hate.
- Our memories define us and our relationship to others.
- Kate Winslet is gorgeous no matter what color her hair is.

As Joel (Jim Carrey) fights to hold onto to his memories of his love, we cheer for his eventual self-destruction, as he fights for his right to suffer, because it is in the suffering that we re-affirm our existence. When you want to caress and then smack Clementine (Winslet), you remember the blessed insanity of all your relationships- well, the ones that matter, anyway.

Besides the principles, the cast is peppered with excellent and prominent actors who serve to expound on the plot and swell out the principles behind the film in charming fashion.

Anyone who still takes my opinion seriously would do well to see this film.

Nice review, GKE. Despite my general avoidance of anything with Jim Carrey in it, you've almost persuaded me to give this one a try!

Yeah, I don't like Carrey either. I did like Ace Ventura: Pet Detective when I was in high school, but haven't even seen The Majestic (I don't even like the original Capra films so you can imagine my interest in a modern version of something that clearly is channeling that style).

If you hate Carrey like I do, then it's because of his cutesy goofiness that is supposed to make us love him but makes me want to punch him in his camera-hogging face. But the great thing about this movie is that rather than try to avoid it, it's put to good use here.

If you hate Carrey like I do, then it's because of his cutesy goofiness that is supposed to make us love him but makes me want to punch him in his camera-hogging face.
:LOL:

If you hate Carrey like I do, then it's because of his cutesy goofiness that is supposed to make us love him but makes me want to punch him in his camera-hogging face.

That pretty much sums it up :LOL: I enjoyed The Truman Show, and Earth Girls Are Easy, but have pretty much hated everything else I've seen him in.

I agree with GKE. This movie is great. Definitely my favorite Jim Carrey movie. Better even than THE TRUMAN SHOW, which I also thought was pretty nifty. The only thing I'll add to your review is that you've also got to give kudos to the scenes featuring the technicians who do the memory erasure. (LotR fans: see this movie if you want to see Elijah Wood in a role that couldn't be more different from Frodo.)

Interesting you bring that up, as I read a lot of criticism about the non-Carrey/Winslet scenes, which I, like you, feel are not only unwarranted, but absolutely necessary to the film, in terms of plot and feel. Kirsten Dunst, whom I normally don't like (but I don't know why) was great (and made an excellent stoner) and that actor from In the Bedroom (don't remember his name) is always great fun to watch with his old-timey straight-man schtick.

And anyway, I don't think of it as a Jim Carrey movie, but as a Kauffman/Gordy/Winslet movie that happen to have Jim Carrey. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back