• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ensign Gideon?

If you take what Gideon says about Mozart in the Needs of Earth, Gideon is more like 41-42.

------------------

A point that has been missed is the fact that he was chosen to command the Excalibur at all. Although some good captains would have gone down in the battle against the Drakh, and maybe a few more would've been on Earth and therefore now infected with the plague, I'm sure Earth Force still had a good long list of people to choose from. One question that hasn't been asked is why he was chosen for this mission in the first place. His success or failure determines the fate of all life on Earth; I kind of doubt they would've picked a moron for the job. Either he has an outstanding record from the time he was an Ensign, or there is something about him we don't know.

As an aside, I found it odd that in the episode that discussed his being an Ensign (Path of Sorrows?); he gets called to the bridge and shows up in full body armor, PPG in hand. It seems like Earth Force has a distinction between security and personnel on a command track...was he part of the ship's security at the time? And if he was part of security, why the hell would they want him to examine the ship's damage? If I were the captain I'd ask someone from a different section. It's probably nothing, but it puzzles me nonetheless.

------------------
Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Sheridan picked Gideon for the job. I think it was mentioned in RtN, and it was going to be mentioned in WZ also. JMS said about WZ:

"There was, for instance, a nice clash with the senator and the intelligence guy over Gideon's background, why he's the wrong person for the job, why Sheridan picked him specifically for the job...which had to go in order to put in more exposition (and lengthen the opening fight scene in the teaser by about a third, another TNT request)."

Of course, it was never revealed why Sheridan wanted Gideon for the job. Maybe a certain technomage mentioned Gideon's name? It would certainly be in Galen's and the other technomage's best interests to have Gideon as the captain of the Excalibur, a ship that is searching for every possible lead on shadow tech, to find a cure to a shadow plague.

The technomages want to keep track of left-over shadow tech. So who best to have as the captain of the Excalibur, than a man who survived the Cerberus incident, and who has an obsession about finding the shadow ship that destroyed it?

vakie

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JazzMan:
A point that has been missed is the fact that he was chosen to command the Excalibur at all. Although some good captains would have gone down in the battle against the Drakh, and maybe a few more would've been on Earth and therefore now infected with the plague, I'm sure Earth Force still had a good long list of people to choose from. One question that hasn't been asked is why he was chosen for this mission in the first place. His success or failure determines the fate of all life on Earth; I kind of doubt they would've picked a moron for the job. Either he has an outstanding record from the time he was an Ensign, or there is something about him we don't know.

As an aside, I found it odd that in the episode that discussed his being an Ensign (Path of Sorrows?); he gets called to the bridge and shows up in full body armor, PPG in hand. It seems like Earth Force has a distinction between security and personnel on a command track...was he part of the ship's security at the time? And if he was part of security, why the hell would they want him to examine the ship's damage? If I were the captain I'd ask someone from a different section. It's probably nothing, but it puzzles me nonetheless.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the only two command track people we saw on Cerebrus' bridge were the captain and the first officer. If Gideon wasn't working with navigation, communications, or the helm, was he an engineer, and was he coming from engineering?
Or was he a command track officer, working on a different rotation? In the military, I think it's customary to rotate the officers on the bridge at certain times. Maybe it wasn't his turn to be on the bridge when the hybrid ship attacked?

------------------
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." Elric the Techno-Mage, "Geometry of Shadows"

[This message has been edited by Kitsune (edited April 29, 2001).]

I think what he means by everyone has something to hide is the fact that he knows how the Cereberus died and has not pursued it to date. Hence the last two scripts that didn't get made when JMS was "finally" into it.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back