• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVD Region Packaging Differences? R2 people help!

Hi All,

I recently bought season 1 (R2) and now want to buy season 2 & 3, the only problem is that I want them both now! I dont really want to have to wait another month to see season 3 and then another 6 months for season 4 on R2.

So what I would ideally like to do is buy season 2 on R2 and the subsequent seasons on R1 to get them early. What I want to know is, are there any major differences between the packaging, disc artwork etc between R1 and R2.

I've bought box sets for other TV series that have been completely different between R1 & R2 which spoils it coz it doesn't quite look right. I know it's not that important but I'd really like to have a matching set.

Cheers for any help.

The only difference I know of is that the R1 boxes are "shiny", i.e. they have a metallic/holographic shine to them. The artwork itself is the same, as far as I know .. not sure about the individual disc artwork but based on the little I've heard, I think that is the same too.

I have S1 & S2 in Region 2 and S3 in Region 1 so I can answer your question. Yes the outside box of the R1 is a little shinier. The inside box and the discs themselves are identical. Also the R2 boxes have our little circle of certification on them (12).
None of this really detracts from how they all look together on my shelf, and it is down to how long you are prepared to wait to get them all identical!! The release date for S4 in the US seems to be moving about all over the place, but there's no mention from anyone of a R2 date at all! :mad:
I, for one am not prepared to wait and have pre-ordered my US copy (even if the cover glows in the dark! :LOL:)

Cheers for the replies guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Just out of interest, I read in a previous post on this board that the Season 3 DVDs are region free, is this true?

Once again thanks for answering my question, I'll order them over the weekend, I usually get my R2 from DVD.co.uk and R1 from Loaded247.com, where would you recommend? Bare in mind that I'm in the UK and don't really want to have to wait for weeks.

I tried Play.com a while ago but wasn't really that impressed because they were pretty slow, took a week for them to arrive.

Yes, I have read the Region-free comments as well. Don't know. If you haven't got a multi-region player yet, I wouldn't buy one until you get your R1 set and try it.
I always use Play.com and haven't had trouble but some recommend Amazon.com. The postage time WILL probably be a couple of weeks from the US because........ you must remember that it is over £18 in value so it will be seized by British Customs (bastards :devil:) and you will have to go down to your local post office and pay Duty to get it released (about £10)!! Not quick or cheap. Depends how impatient you are. :rolleyes:

S3 is region free. I tested it and it came up as R1,R2,R3,R4... so anyone should be fine getting the R1 release.

Which begs the question, why both releasing multiple versions on multiple dates if the R1 release is a multiregion release?

-Tim

Which begs the question, why both releasing multiple versions on multiple dates if the R1 release is a multiregion release?
Language issue mainly, I suppose. Not necessarily for the UK release but other European releases for example would have a different/larger selection of languages (at least in subtitles) that would make sense to put on the R1 release.

I've used loaded247.com (used to be called Future Entertainment) and have never had to pay custom duties, their prices are a little higher than play.com so this might explain it. They've also been pretty quick, 2-3 days usually but of course there's always a first time for it to go tits up.

I've unlocked my DVD ROM so it's not going to be a problem even if they weren't region free.

Sorry, Wombartius, the Customs charge import duty depending on value .
So if it's under £18 (like a single DVD) it escapes, but if it's over (like a $70 box-set). It's liable.
:mad:

Yeah I've just had a read through loaded247's T&C's, they pay the import tax for you which is why the season 3 set is a little more than play.com.

Yeah I've just had a read through loaded247's T&C's, they pay the import tax for you which is why the season 3 set is a little more than play.com.

UK Import tax is levied on all purchases from outside the EC of over £18 in value. Play.com is based in Jersey, which is outside the EC for VAT purposes. Therefore, any purchases from play.com of over £18 to the UK should be subject to some element of import tax (VAT). However, I've never found this to be the case (having purchased several DVD boxed sets from play.com of over £18). I can only conclude that play.com do not declare the shipments correctly to customs when dispatched from Jersey. Very naughty, but great for us customers :D.

Mmmm, seems to be done on a spot-check basis by Customs. I bought my S3 from Play.com, it was clearly marked on the outside of the package with the value.......and I did have to pay import duty!! :mad:

Yeah, seems so.
To reinforce the spot-check theory, I bought something on Ebay from a seller in Seattle........to insure it he had to declare the correct amount on the outside...$100.
It sailed through in 5 days with no interference from Customs.
As the saying goes,"You win some, you lose some". :rolleyes:

Well, it amazes me how slack Customs can be at times.....and I work for them! (I'm a VAT officer at HM Customs & Excise). ;)

**Dodges the flying stones** :LOL:

I am lost for words that are allowed on a public noticeboard!! :devil:
I can understand the government wanting to charge duty to business importers who intend to re-sell, but private individuals for their own use???
Sorry, I know you don't make the laws, I shall stop now before I go into a rant! :mad:

I can understand the government wanting to charge duty to business importers who intend to re-sell, but private individuals for their own use???

If there were no import taxes, virtually everything would be cheaper to purchase from abroad (most things are a lot cheaper in the US). That would reduce trade in the UK, taking away business from companies at home. Don't you think that would have a bad effect on the economy? Taxes are there for a reason.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back