• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dr. Who for dummies

I have a couple of Dr. Who reference books at home. Guess I should consult them. I've seen the Peter Davidson eps a few times, even though I found him a rather wimpy Dr. I only saw the Sylvester McCoy ones once, since I didn't care for him at all. I did like Peter Davidson in the British mystery series that played on the PBS Mystery series though.

It's hardly worth the effort, JJ. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's not likely that I'll ever see the episode again, anyhow. I certainly have no intention of trying to buy every Dr. Who tape on the market. Babylon 5 alone will probably break the bank for me this year with my hours being cut back to no overtime and all. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well. More time to do gardening and watch DVD's. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyhow, I just love the way Dr. Who could be made, and be very popular at times, without all of the CGI and such that fans seem to demand of science fiction these days.

Dr. Who was about ideas, and adventures. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif So what if the "monster" was a guy with a cardboard box on his head wrapped in tin foil? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think Mel was the worst companion, all that screaming and silliness put me off for a short while. I couldn't stand the idea of song and dance entertainer being there at all. Every time I see or even hear the mention of Bonnie Langofird on TV I break out in a rash.

Did her chacracter die? I hope so! (I'm only saying that because it's fiction BTW).

I liked Ace though. I must like assertive women! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did her chacracter die? I hope so!

No, when The Doctor picked up Ace, Mel stayed behind with... um... whassisface, the smuggler who was on the Ice Planet. Been a while. Loved Sylvester McCoy, loved Ace, was glad they replaced Mel.

Who wasn't as annoying as Peri.

Of course, Peri had her... boobies.

I'd try and rephrase that to be tactful, but I'd be lying. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Actually, I do have to revise my list... I had almost forgotten about Romana II, I did like her better, I think... but my ALL TIME favorite Dr. Who sidekick has GOT to be:

tv_k9.jpg

K9 was great. And it's about the only time I've enjoyed a pet (or a pet robot, I guess) in a series.

Romana II (Romana I too, but even more Romana II) was the only companion that was an equal to the doctor. I enjoyed those stories quite a lot. She didn't have his experience, but seemd to be actually even more intelligent.

Anyhow, yes, she was a wonderful companion. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ace was the one that carried explosives, isn't she?

Thanks, El Scorcho. Nice site. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And as far as companions go, why are the girls mostly being mantioned. In many ways Jamie was the best of all of them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As far as the companions go, there were actually more females than males. And many of the male characters were downplayed so as not to compete with the Doctor himself.

Adric was a brat.
Turlough was shady.
Stephen (1st Doc) was a boring Flash Gordon-type.
Ben (w/Polly - 1st+2nd Doc) was just boring.
The UNIT guys were generic (not so much the Brig).
Harry Sullivan was a straight man.

The only interesting male characters were Ian Chesterton and Jamie, and they were on very early in the series. The 6th and 7th Doctors never had any male companions.

The female characters were often written as foils for the Doctor. Sarah Jane, Nyssa, Zoe and Romana were all portrayed as intelligent and could match wits with the Doc. Most of the others were cast for their other... assets.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back