• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Does anyone still buy video?

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
I look on videos now with a strange amusement. They're so antiquated. And with DVD players so stupidly cheap, I wonder why anyone has any excuse to buy videos. Why are we even still selling them in shops!?

Recording, I know we have a bit of work until DVD recording is mainstream. But in terms of actual films/TV to buy... does anyone still buy videos? If so why? :D

I buy a few videos, mainly because some of the movies I want are out of print and probably will never be offered on DVD. :mad:

So I'll buy them and maybe someday when I can afford a DVD burner/recorder, I'll put them on DVD.

I haven't bought a single VHS tape in probably five years. I can't think of anyone I know that still buys them, but they are getting less and less common in stores, quantity-wise that is.

The owner of our local video store once told me that they are encouraged now to order movies in DVD format as opposed to VHS. When a video store buys copies of a movie in VHS it costs around $100. A DVD copy is around $20 or $30. I buy blank vhs tapes because I tape some shows from tv and watch them later when I have time.

Yeah, the only time I buy VHS tapes are to tape shows that I may miss due to work or something else. As I only watch about three shows consistently, I rarely even have to tape those. It's nice to still have the ability to record something when you want to.

Yeah thats true. Sometimes I just tape them even when I'm home so I can just read my book or go out, or just catch up on some sleep :p.

It would be kinda cool to have TiVo or something, but I dont watch enough tv to warrant a purchase like that.

And sometimes even if I did miss a show, in a few weeks it would appear online. But that's illegal and wrong and I would never do something like that. ;)

I never really bought many VHS tapes when they were the main thing. I have a SVHS VCR and an LD player, so, I would tape from TV, premium channels, or rent an LD, and tape that. There has been very little I wanted that I couldn't get that way, and with better than VHS quality. When I can afford it, I will buy a DVD recorder, preferably one as a TIVO combo. Also, I would like to buy a DVHS VCR for HD recording. BUT... I am not planning to start a new collection until HD formats stabilize. I can borrow DVDs for free from the library where I work, over 3,000 of them. So, I still use a SVHS VCR for time-shifting, and collecting the odd TV show, or film here or there, but I would do it with a DVR if I had one.

I still by VHS videos, but only for my kids - The Wiggles, Teletubbies, etc.

The only other one I was tempted to buy in the last year or so was B5:LotR, and only because I have no idea when it will come out on DVD on Region 4.

I only buy DVD, but my mom refuses to switch to DVD (having to learn how to use the DVD player), so she sticks with VHS. :p

I haven't bought a movie on VHS in years.. but I did just get a new VCR Monday. :) My old Hitachi (piece of crap) finally started eating tapes, so I took it out in an Office Space sledgehammer ceremony and replaced it with a shiny new Sony. Now all of my entertainment center is Sony except for the receiver (Kenwood). :)

Unless you have an LD player, which very few do, you still need VHS if you want to watch the real Star Wars and many other films, especially older ones.

I still buy videos mainly because my favorite shows may never come out on dvd or I want to try out a new movie and typically at least for me vids are cheaper than dvds.;

I look on videos now with a strange amusement. They're so antiquated. And with DVD players so stupidly cheap, I wonder why anyone has any excuse to buy videos. Why are we even still selling them in shops!?

Recording, I know we have a bit of work until DVD recording is mainstream. But in terms of actual films/TV to buy... does anyone still buy videos? If so why? :D

I still buy videos. :eek:

That's because I'm too lazy to get a DVD player. :LOL:

Blank tape to record tv shows. Don't have tivo yet and am determined to stay a closeted nerd. My vcr lets me watch things like Angel in private.

And sometimes even if I did miss a show, in a few weeks it would appear online. But that's illegal and wrong and I would never do something like that. ;)

Actually, you can get an copy of Stargate SG-1 episode online about in 12 hours after it has been aired on tv.

I've watched a new episode of Enterprise in the UK before it's even aired in the US. I'm not talking about when it's just shown here first, but you know... file downloading.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back