• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Does Anybody on This BBoard Live In An Area...

KoshN

Super Moderator
...where the Crusade VCDs are sold?

I just got the following response from someone in Warner Home Video, so this is "Official" info.:

<font color=orange>Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no way for you to purchase the BABYLON 5 CRUSADE VCDs that are only authorized to be sold in territories outside of the United States directly from Warner Bros./Warner Home Video. The best way to obtain such product would be to have as friend in another "authorized" territory buy these for you, or you might check on eBay or elsewhere on the internet to buy these VCDs. I hope this helps.</font color=orange>

I'd like to but all 13 VCDs. So far, I've seen only 7 of the 13 on eBay.

I don't know if they're still for sale in those other countries, or are out of print there. It "sounds like" somebody in one of those territories could order a complete set from Warner Home Video, new, today.

vcd ? just plane vidoes i spose.

to answer that YES i live in Australian and i have 4 vids of crusade each with 2 eps on /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif sadly i couldent find more but if i looked hard enough i spose there out there, got em from kmart /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cleron:
<font color=yellow>vcd ? just plane vidoes i spose.

to answer that YES i live in Australian and i have 4 vids of crusade each with 2 eps on /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif sadly i couldent find more but if i looked hard enough i spose there out there, got em from kmart /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

NTSC or PAL?

Lemme know if you come across any NTSC, OK? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

The ones at
<a target="_blank" href=http://members.lycos.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/crusade_vcds_on_ebay.jpg>http://members.lycos.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/crusade_vcds_on_ebay.jpg</a>
look like one episode per disc, but maybe I'm wrong.

In Australia, those would be the PAL videos, I assume - same as in Britain/Europe, I guess. I have six of the 7 tapes now, haven't managed to locate the last one yet. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

The VCDs in question are basically only meant for the Asian market, yes?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>vcd ? just plane vidoes i spose.<hr></blockquote>

No, "VCD" stands for "Video CD" - a disk format that became popular in Asia and basically died in the U.S. A video CD can hold about 1 hour of material (meaning most movies are spread over two discs) and uses MPEG-1, fixed bit-rate compression. Video quality is similar to VHS (with digital artifacts instead of analog noise), but they are more durable, and will play in most DVD players (not to mention computer CD-ROM drives.) I don't know how the NTSC PAL thing works in the world of VCD.

My Sony DVD player is called a "DVD / CD / VIDEO CD" player. It can play VCDs, and the ones on eBay are listed as NTSC, not PAL.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

My understanding is that there are 7 VCDs, with all 13 episodes. Being in the UK, I'm having my own problems getting the VCDs, as you know /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Good luck with the hunt!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Demon:
<font color=yellow>My understanding is that there are 7 VCDs, with all 13 episodes.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Yep. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow> I don't know how the NTSC PAL thing works in the world of VCD.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

From what I know of this whole discussion, VCD's have world-wide MPEG format, and the only problem with compatibility, is if your DVD player is VCD compatible, same problem with playing MP3's on older or cheaper DVD players, the newer ones that are around $120.00(US) will play both

This is a little bit of old news for ya man, but about six months or so ago i saw someone on ebay selling off their collection of B5 and Crusade VCD's. If i'm not mistaken they were only missing like one or two B5 episodes and they had all of crusade. When i saw it though it was already at over $1000 so i said "Screw that"

Sinc
Jerome

Yes, I live in S'pore and the Crusade + B5 VCDs are widely sold. All in PAL format however. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bought a set of Crusade VCDs (1 episode per disc; and 2 discs per package except for "Each Night I Dream of Home" which was a single) from an eBay seller who's from Quezon City, Philippines. Unfortunately the discs in each of the double-packs have identical labels, titled for both episodes. I ended up underlining the correct title on each disc with a Sanford Sharpie, to reflect the episode that's on the particular disc.

The discs were listed as NTSC, and played fine on my NTSC TV. My DVD player is listed as a "DVD/CD/VIDEO CD PLAYER." Naturally, they don't look as good as DVDs, but they're OK.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Naturally, they don't look as good as DVDs, but they're OK.

[/quote] Better than VHS, if for no other reason thatn the durability factor.

...and not as good as VHS/SVHS in the jaggies and not-as-smooth motion of ships going across the screen.

No pop-ups or other ads. though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back