• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

-Deleted scenes-

Emfeeli

Regular
I'm sure most of you are informed in the matter of the B5 computer game Into the Fire. I had heard that Bruce, Mira, and Lochely all shot scenes for the story. Any idea of what happened to them? They would be considered their parting shots because they were filmed after Wheel of Fire. Also, for a little quick question; does Harlan Ellison have anything to do with B5lr? Just wondering because he's a fantastic guy to have around.
smile.gif

------------------
"There is no memory with less satisfaction in it than the memory of some temptation we resisted."
-Harlan Ellison quoting James Branch Cabell

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emfeeli:
I'm sure most of you are informed in the matter of the B5 computer game Into the Fire. I had heard that Bruce, Mira, and Lochely all shot scenes for the story. Any idea of what happened to them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If they haven't been thrown in the trash by now, they're collecting dust in a Sierra store somewhere. It's possible SciFi could try to by them for a special, or that jms will use some of the storyline in Rangers (it was set around the time of Rangers IIRC). <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Also, for a little quick question; does Harlan Ellison have anything to do with B5lr?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He had no official involvement with B5 until the series started, so I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If they haven't been thrown in the trash by now, they're collecting dust in a Sierra store somewhere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure that JMS mentioned somewhere that all of the live action footage was shot at Babylonian Productions, and that the actual negatives remain the property, and in the custody, of Warner Bros. Presumbably something could be worked out that would allow some use of the stuff, possibly as an extra on the DVDs.

But I'm not sure how useful it would be otherwise because I don't know anything about the contents or their context. Since the studio would have to pay the actors again to use the stuff in future episodes it would probably make more sense to hire them to do new scenes rather than try to shoe-horn old ones into new footage.

I must admit I didn't follow the story closely because I'm not a gamer, but I had the impression that the game Into the Fire was set at around the time of the episode of the same name - very late in the Shadow War. Since the game was a space combat simulator it makes sense that it would fall during a period when the greatest number and variety of warships could be plausibly duking it out. That would make the footage pretty useless for Rangers, if true.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Both Mira and Bruce have spoken about their roles in the games. They seemed to explain it as standing in front of a blue screen and saying a few word such as "Welcome" and then another few words. In other words, this was a game where you would have choices. The actor would say something that suggested one thing, then another few words giving you a different choice. The results of the game depended on which dialogue you chose.
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
I'm pretty sure that JMS mentioned somewhere that all of the live action footage was shot at Babylonian Productions<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>True. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>and that the actual negatives remain the property, and in the custody, of Warner Bros.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope. Sierra owns the material, and killed the game a second time refusing to sell (until it was too late) it to the development team who wanted to finish the game on their own. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I must admit I didn't follow the story closely because I'm not a gamer, but I had the impression that the game Into the Fire was set at around the time of the episode of the same name - very late in the Shadow War.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure where I read the between B5 and Crusade timeline, but in any case, I know the cast list included President Sheridan, Lochley, President Luchenko and Wayne Alexander as an Earth Force bigwig. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That would make the footage pretty useless for Rangers, if true.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was thinking a bit ahead of my typing... The idea was that jms could have fited the story of the game into Rangers, making the game clips "uncanonical".

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.

As I said above, there was nothing that would fit into a regular episode of B5 or Rangers. Although no specific dialogues were given by either Bruce or Mira, it was pretty clear that their parts were minimal.

For example they might say this path is dangerous, or this path will lead you to the enemy. Please be aware I am making this up.
shocked.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Nope. Sierra owns the material, and killed the game a second time refusing to sell (until it was too late) it to the development team who wanted to finish the game on their own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding is that Sierra owns the game code (which can be copyrighted even in printed form), the game engine and all the models, graphics, etc. But that Warner Bros. still has copies of the live action footage. Sierra may have refused to sell the game developers their license from Warner Bros., which would have kept the material out of their hands. When Foundation imaging and later Netter Digital were doing the CGI, they did not own the computer files containing the ship designs and stock space shots. This was all legally the property of Warner Bros. and was returned to them when Netter Digital went under.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Found this comment:

The game would have allowed players to go through all of the major wars of the
B5 universe -- the Dilgar War, the Earth/Minbari War, the Shadow War and the
Earth Civil War -- with a chance of affecting the outcomes and dealing with the
temporal stresses caused by that.

jms

Also, IGN.com used to have a preview page on the game that contained an excellent "trailer" made up of actual scenes from the game and Chris Franke's new music. I can't find it now but it might still be in there if you look hard for it.

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one. No, not good. Not supposed to mention 'one'... or 'THE one'... Mmmm. You never heard that."

From Google: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Sierra owns the filmed live action footage, the game code and other game-related assets (low-poly models, story, design docs, etc.). Their license to produce a B5 game lapsed last year. I don't believe that they or WB would pursue a new license.

Marc Hudgins
ex-Designer/Art Director B5:ITF www.marchdesign.com[/QUOTE]

------------------

Apparently the game was to be set sometime after OBJECTS AT REST in 2264 I think.

The actual storyline is unknown to me, but Sierra still has the rights to the game coding. (Engine..etc)

But when it was cancelled for a second time and for what seemed more permament, the development staff banded together to create SECTOR 14 Studios. But they had no luck there as Sierra refused to give up the Game coding.

But I'm sure that WB still has the Live Action footage as it was filmed by Babylonian Productions and on there sets, so I'm sure they would still hold it.

The only thing they weren't able to keep was the Music (Done by Christopher Franke) which have now been released for download.

If you want to download them head to:
http://www.musicofb5.com

But, their maybe a game in the future. Sierra may with the imminent release of LEGENDS OF THE RANGESR, may decide that it was worth while to re-produce.

They still have the music, Live-Action Footage. But they will have to re-create the Game Engine and everything to keep up with the technology that is nowadays. Which may cost a bit and take time.

Sierra obviously plans to do something with the license. I believe they are waiting for the right time that Space sims will be right for the market.

------------------
"It is the Errors and faults of we,
That we fight for our nation,
Against a darkness that we forever see."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Entillzha:
Sierra obviously plans to do something with the license.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They no longer have the license... It lapsed shortly after they canceled the game.

Also, you can't just throw a bunch of new developers onto the game... They'd have to spend a long time figuring out how things worked and what was left to do. And none of the original developers ever want to go near Sierra again.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back