• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Defect in Season 2 Disc 4 anyone?

Recoil

Regular
I saw someone posted a thread asking if anyone had scratches in their disc 4. He asked the thread be closed due to a comment in one of the review threads (which I was unable to find). I dont have scratches on my S2 Disc 4, but I noticed a weird problem tonight while watching it.

Has anyone else noticed a weird "defect" in Disc 4, in the episode "And Now For a Word"?!?

It happened twice, both times at the SAME part of the episode. It is when they are in the council chambers, shortly after the Kosh-spotting scene. GKar, Londo, and Sheridan are all arguing. Near the end of that scene, my DVD suddenly skipped, and returned to the very begining of the episode --- right after the opening credits where they display the title of the episode.

After this happened, I went to the DVD menu, jumped to the previous chapter, then fast-forwarded to the same scene and watched it again. This time, while it didnt skip backward as before, it did HANG for a second, then slowly creeped forward through a part of the scene. While it was doing this slowly, the audio was slowed down as well, and the video had "boxed" artificts. After a very short sequence of this (it occured for no more than 5 seconds) the episode continued with no further problems. I even watched the next episode after it.

Now before this happened, I had watched about 3 episodes before it, but I have a good quality DVD player, and its never done things before while being run much longer. Also it did it at the SAME place in the disc, and after it happened, the occurance didnt repeat. I looked at the back of the disc and could see NO scratches or smudges.

I just thought it was odd that a couple other people commented about Disc 4, when I saw this. Can anyone else verify if they have encountered a similar problem? I am going to test this again tomorrow when I get home from work and see if it occurs again.

Very reminiscent of the Escaflowne: The Movie disc problems. Same symptoms.

Which chapter is this in, so I can check that spot out?

Rommie :)

Has anyone else noticed a weird "defect" in Disc 4, in the episode "And Now For a Word"?!?

It just so happens that I finished watching that disc yesterday. I had no problems at all with it.

My DVD player wasn't synching the sound & picture right on disc 4, but I started it up again & it synched up correctly. I was watching it on one of those portable DVD players with the built in screen that I bought recently. Does this tend to be a problem with those kinds of players?

Tammy

My DVD player wasn't synching the sound & picture right on disc 4, but I started it up again & it synched up correctly. I was watching it on one of those portable DVD players with the built in screen that I bought recently. Does this tend to be a problem with those kinds of players?

Tammy

I'd guess it does. A couple of friends non-portable DVD players often have sync problems between sound and picture.
If they stop and start what they are watching, the problem clears, for a while.
I'd expect portables to perform not as well as non-portables, but to be honest I couldn't say as I've had no experience of portables.

What you're describing sounds like either a damaged disc or a player problem. It is not a matering issue or it would affect all Disc 4s. Nor is it likely to be a manufacturing problem - because it would affect a great many Disc 4s and we would have heard numerous complaints by now. I'd say contact your vendor.

Regards,

Joe

Yea,

I was leaning towards the damaged disc angle. Mainly because my DVD player is a good one, and doesnt do this on ANY other disc that I have played in it. I figured if it was a major issue that people would be all over it. I was wondering if anyone else had bumped into it. I will be in contact with the vendor tomorrow to get my disc swapped to be safe. Thanks for the info.

I've had problems with disc 4. Mine is scratched... might be connected.

But for some reason, it was making my sound system a bit screwy. I think it was disc 4 at least... may have been 3. Argh! Anyway, it was for some reason making the amp switch inputs, and even caused some other weirdities.

Mine, too, was scratched. It was loose in the box -- and considering how hard I have to work to get them out when they're in place, it must have been loose all along -- and quite clearly damaged. The picture comes out fine, but the audio for the first ep. is really messed up.

Well, I've had the a freeze up for a few seconds. Sadly, I don't remember which disc it was. I'll recheck which disc it was at some point in the future. As for loose discs, my disc five was loose.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back