• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade Mention in 6/24 Sci-Fi Weekly Letters

KoshN

Super Moderator
See "[Dark] Angel's Blood Is on Fox's Hands"
Sci-Fi Weekly Letters (#270) 6/24/2002

I took the opportunity to send a reply, to plug both Crusade and Brimstone. Anybody else want to take the opportunity to show some support for Crusade (and Brimstone /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) ?

Here's what I sent in via their Feedback form:

<font color="orange">Re. Kari Thomas' "Angel's Blood Is on Fox's Hands"

"A lot of the fans decided that you shouldn't rearrange your entire life for a TV show; leaving only die-hard, loyal fans to try and keep the show alive. This automatically restricts the show to cult status. Don't they get that?"

They MUST "get it" but are obviously not interested in continuing the show, for whatever reason.

Hey, TNT cancelled "Crusade" before the first episode was even aired, pre-empted it all over the place, meddled with it an tons of ways (Suddenly, and totally INEXPLICABLY, TNT thought they could write sci-fi. This just boggles the mind!), didn't air the lead-in movie "A Call to Arms" before the first episode of "Crusade", commissioned a completely unnecessary "Intro." episode called "War Zone", and then aired "A Call to Arms" AFTER "War Zone", and made changes such that no airing order of the existing 13 episodes can be correct. Compared to that, "Dark Angel" got off easy.

This reminds me of another Fox series that got similarly shafted. It's called "Brimstone", and it was a great series that, like "Crusade", only went 13 episodes. Now, I didn't see "Brimstone" when it was on Fox, but didn't Fox do the same thing with "Brimstone" that they did with "Dark Angel" (move to a death knell time slot) ??? "Brimstone" had great writing, acting, photographic style, and holds up well on repeated viewings. "Crusade" seems to get better with repeated viewings.

Sci-Fi showed Crusade three times, and withdrew the planned fourth airing (which would have started 03/26/2002). Brimstone is still airing at 2AM Saturday mornings on Sci-Fi. Both Crusade and Brimstone would be EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT series for Sci-Fi to bring back (re-start/produce new episodes).

Instead we're going to get the drek listed in the 4/2/02 Sci-Fi press releases. Oooh, "Alternate Reality TV" (e.g. "SCARE TACTICS" & "DREAM TEAM WITH ANNABELLE AND MICHAEL"), and attack of the B-movies, I can hardly wait. <S> </font color>

The more people who beat the drums, the greater the chance we'll get one of our letters mentioning Crusade (and/or Brimstone /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) posted. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Morden: </font color>
I've never seen Brimstone...

[/quote]

You should try to catch it. If you want, I could loan you a tape ot two (especially of the pilot, which guest starred Peter Woodward).

Although it was scheduled at a ridiculous time over here (about 3 am on a Saturday morning!) I caught half a dozen or so episodes, and really liked it.

The pilot was probably my least favourite, as you know how I feel about PW /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I loved the guy who played the devil. Funny and witty.

I would never have guessed that Peter Horton could look so hot! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Demon: </font color>
Although it was scheduled at a ridiculous time over here (about 3 am on a Saturday morning!) I caught half a dozen or so episodes, and really liked it.

[/quote]

Glad to hear you liked it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Can you still see them over there? Anybody airing 'em?

The pilot was probably my least favourite, as you know how I feel about PW /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

[/quote]

Well, Peter Woodward's very well liked over on this side of the pond. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Check this out:
Brimstone - The "A" Pick

I loved the guy who played the devil. Funny and witty.

[/quote]

Agreed! However, get a load of this:

From 12/13/1999 Sci-Fi Chat
<font color="green"> CyrusV: Glover was another suggestion from Fox

CyrusV: Then Fox didn't like him!

Moderator: Didn't like John Glover?

EthanR: They were considering replacing him

* Moderator shakes head in astonishment *

EthanR: We thought he was brilliant

EthanR: We fought tooth and nail.

CyrusV: We reshot his parts of the pilot to try to make them happy. They let us slide after that

EthanR: I don't even want to think about Brimstone w/out John
</font color>

How could anybody not like John Glover as The Devil? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

There's also a John Glover chat at:
John Glover 12/20/1999 Sci-Fi Chat

I would never have guessed that Peter Horton could look so hot! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't know, since I'm not of that persuasion. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif However, Teri Polo was drop-dead gorgeous, as Ashe. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Glad to hear you liked it. Can you still see them over there? Anybody airing 'em?

[/quote]
Sadly not. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif After that one showing at the silly time, I've never seen it again.

As for the devil, he was just so deliciously bad. I remember one episode where he did something like tying a sleeping tramp's shoelaces together, just for the hell of it /forums/images/icons/devil.gif I can't imagine him played by another actor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back