• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade DVDs on eBay

JackB

Has anyone bought the Crusade DVDs on eBay? Are they a cheap rip off? The entire series is available for about $40. I was wondering if they are any good (quality wise).

------------------
Long live www.issbabylon.com

Crusade DVDs?? I didn't know such things existed.
crazy.gif

Are you sure these are not VCDs (Video CDs; may have been produced for the Asian market)?

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

They can't be official DVDs I wouldn't think. Probably something home made with a DVD Burner...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

What do you mean 'we'. Its you against me buddy!

*eyes Adam*

Actually there are a ton of listings for these VCDs on Ebay, so its not like anyone on this site needs to fight each other in a bidding war for them
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Recoil (edited January 02, 2002).]

This message was posted to the SaveCrusade list at Yahoo, by someone who has the VCD's. I,ve seen screencaps from these VCD's and the quality looks very good indeed:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I own both the British tapes and the VCDs, and got the latter from eBay. The packaging and content is exactly the same for both, from what I could determine, also the ep order which isn't quite the same as the airing order. Didn't compare the copyright notices on the actual tapes and VCDs, but if the VCDs are really the same release as the VHS tapes, just on a different medium it would make sense that they're the same. They wouldn't want to spend a lot of money just to change one word in the copyright notice I guess.

When I got them, the VCDs were shrink-wrapped and the cover was closed with one of these stickers which you almost can't get away, with the WB logo. There's also a note on the back of the VCDs saying, Distributed exclusively for Warner Home Video through Alliance Entertainment Singapore Pte Ltd." They also give their website www.all-entertainment.com.sg. Oh and there's a sticker on the covers from the Board of Film Censors, Singapore.

I don't have any experience with pirated material, but I must say with all this, plus considering the slightly better quality of the VCDs compared to the VHS tapes, it seems very unlikely to me they're pirated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Demon

Nice,

When I get home, I think I'm gonna bid on a set...

------------------

It might have been VCDs. I'm new to DVDs. I just got one for Christmas so I was surfing eBay for movies. I found the "Crusade" collection. I think it was Asian. I was wondering if they were any good. I bought the B5 movies just released and the quality was unreal! I have a high definition TV with a progressive scan DVD player and it just blew me away! I am dying to get more B5!!!

------------------

Just checked it myself, they are VCD's

New to dvd's......VCD's are just a cd version of a VHS (so nothing special about the quality)

------------------
"Will you follow me into fire? Into storm, into darkness, into death?!

I haven't seen any VCDs myself but from what I've heard, their quality is comparable to VHS, definitely lower than DVD - of course, they should be better than VHS for repeated viewing.

I doubt that they could be home-made DVDs for that price... I thought that DVD-R's (or whatever they are) are a bit too expensive for that, i.e. the home-burned DVD wouldn't be much cheaper than a store-bought one.

But, as always, I may be wrong.
smile.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers

Yea that makes MUCH more sense. I'll bet they are VCDs or SVCDs. In any case, depending on which medium they were recorded from, and how, they may be very good quality. I am searching for the B5 episodes on SVCD. I heard of someone who has them all, recorded in Satellite resolution, and the quality is supposed to be VERY good. I was hoping to get them all on SVCD to tide me over until I can go to the store and buy all the real DVDs
wink.gif

------------------

And Kirbu,

You are correct, DVD burners are expensive, but not outrageous. Apple is selling their new PCs with a home version DVD writer. As of a year ago you could get a decent one for about $1200 or so, I am sure they are less now. While thats more money than I would spend for something like that, it is only because I am not very much into that sort of thing. Usually the people that have lots of VCDs or SVCDs are hardware fiends. They are exactly the type that would be willing to get DVD burners and go through the trouble to do such a thing. They are also the type who would probably sell stuff on ebay. Remember it only takes 1 person
wink.gif

------------------

STill, wouldn't mind owning the collection myself
smile.gif

------------------
"Will you follow me into fire? Into storm, into darkness, into death?!

Oh yeah, but I actually meant the disks - the media - themselves, not so much the burner; that the disks cost considerably more than, say, CD-Rs. But perhaps the prices have gone down recently.

If these are the officially released VCDs then I doubt they're S-VCDs. In any case, I'm almost interested myself, since my DVD player apparently also plays VCDs.

I'll have to think about it.
smile.gif

------------------

Thanks for the info....I figured you guys would know. If you decide to buy them, let us know if they are any good. I am kind of leary of buying something from Singapore.
I hope they are great because I sure would like to have them.

------------------

I don't think they are officially released VCDs. I wanna say he used a PC to record them through his stereo off his satellite dish, then converted them. They could be either format. A lot of DVD players say they play VCDs, but it can depend sometimes on the make and model. Fewer DVD players play SVCDs. In any case I already have a PC with S-Video and Optical Audio hooked into my Receiver, so I am good to go by just watching them through the PC
wink.gif

------------------

Well, if they're from Singapore, then they could be officially released... as they were officially released there, a while ago.

I just ordered a couple of Crusade VHS tapes the other day though so I don't think I'll want to spend double and get the full collection anyway (which would be nice, but unaffordable). Eh. Maybe some other time.

------------------

Yea, you know you are right. I just did some Ebay searching and there are a ton of Official B5 VCDs on there, as well as Crusade ones. This guy lives in North Carolina though so I'm not sure what the deal is there. I'll find out in a week or so.

------------------

Hey Recoil,
I'm curious....did you bid on the VCDs? I hope they turn out to be great. I would love to have a copy myself. If you get them, let us know about the quality. The above post sounds promising!

------------------

Yea I did. I'm not gonna spend a ton on em, but if I get them, I get them. There are like, 4 of them listed, I just picked one of the 4...

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back