• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Convictions" question--spoilers ahead!

Re: \"Convictions\" question--spoilers ahead!

Hmmm. It seems like there was a long pause between he left Medlab and when he got trapped in the lift, so I wouldn't call that "just" talking to him. However, maybe Delenn's perception of time was momentarily warped by the joy at seeing Lennier awake. :~)

Cheers,
--mcn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "I just spoke to Ambassador Mollari, the Centarum is most grateful..." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if "the Centaurum is grateful" it's been long enough for Londo to Phone Home and talk to someone. And for the Centaurum to get around to expressing gratitude.

As a Political body, the Centaurum is not noted for Speed in anything.

So, maybe it's not "just spoke", but rather "spoke".

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

In many episodes, over ten minute periods there are several scenes that make more sense if they happened in a different order. I just assume that they happened to the individual in that order. Where things are going on in parallel there can be serialisation errors.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

One of the other things to remember here is that, unless the episode showed a Timeline, we don't know just how long elapses between scenes.

I think that particular episode covered several Days worth of activity.

If Delenn spoke to Londo before he got trapped in the lift and didn't Know he had been trapped, the whole thing makes perfect sense.

Also, remember, what we are "hearing" is an English "approximation" of the actual Minbari conversation between Delenn and Lennier.

JMS has said several times that we need to remember this: Although the dialogue is in English for our convenience, in "truth" Delenn and Lennier would be speaking Minbari between themselves.
Subtitling all their conversations would have been too cumbersome and distracting for most readers, so JMS only had them speaking in Minbari a couple times.
The rest of the time, we are supposed to "understand" that the characters speak their own languages in private.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

\"Convictions\" question--spoilers ahead!

Ok, I put "spoilers" at the top, so you've been warned.

After watching this episode again on tape, my girlfriend pointed out something to me: Delenn says to Lennier at the end, if I'm not mistaken, "I just spoke to Ambassador Mollari, the Centarum is most grateful..." or something like that. Point is, she said she had talked to Mollari, unless both her and my hearing is off *:*) Anyway, right after that scene, we see Londo and G'Kar being discovered in the lift. So my question is:
1) Did we hear wrong, or
2) Was this scene originally intended to go after the final lift scene, or
3) Was Delenn lying to save face for Londo? :~) or
4) Something else?

:~)

Anyway, I was too lazy last night to go back and re-watch that scene, but I might tonight. If somebody else can watch it though when it reruns again and let me know if that is indeed what she said, I'd be very interested :) :) :)

Cheers,
-mcn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
Ok, I put "spoilers" at the top, so you've been warned.

After watching this episode again on tape, my girlfriend pointed out something to me: Delenn says to Lennier at the end, if I'm not mistaken, "I just spoke to Ambassador Mollari, the Centarum is most grateful..." or something like that. Point is, she said she had talked to Mollari, unless both her and my hearing is off *:*) Anyway, right after that scene, we see Londo and G'Kar being discovered in the lift. So my question is:
1) Did we hear wrong, or
2) Was this scene originally intended to go after the final lift scene, or
3) Was Delenn lying to save face for Londo? :~) or
4) Something else?

-mcn
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on what she meant by "just" spoke. I think she spoke to Londo after Londo visited Lennier in Medlab and before Londo got into the lift with G'Kar.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 12, 2001).]

deleted the duplicate

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 12, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Also, remember, what we are "hearing" is an English "approximation" of the actual Minbari conversation between Delenn and Lennier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is generally true of any Sci-Fi...well, at least, any Sci-Fi told on Earth :)

However, I would point out that in that particular scene, Franklin was present, and I don't think they'd be so rude as to talk in Minbari in front of him and have him be completely lost :) Esp. since he seemed to be following at least a part of it :)

As for the serialization of parallel scenes, I agree this is the most probable explanation. However, seemed like a minor detail that could be caught and fixed rather easily in the script (either that, or switch the order of the scenes, but that of course ruins the impact of the final scene being G'Kar and Londo in the elevator).

:) :)

Cheers,
-mcn

Latest posts

Members online

Back