• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

centauri crest for emperor

jnk5y

Regular
i don't know if it's been discussed but the thing the emperor wears looks exactly like the things british and american generals wore during the revolutionary war. I was up watching the history channel it sorta caught my eye. Does it go as far back as the romans b/c the centauri are sorta based around the romans?

------------------

Yeah?Thats cool!!!I think they were based around the Romans alot there is also a hint of Royal England in there to!

------------------
We live for the one!We die for the one!

You mean the plate the Emperor wears around his neck?

It's called a gorget, and was traditionally the part of a suit of armour which covered the upper chest and neck. Nowadays, it's more ceremonial than anything, and the last military personnel I can recall to wear them as part of a uniform were the German military police during WW2.

------------------
I am grey, I stand between the candle and the star.
We are grey, we have no bloody fashion sense.

It makes sense that that would be the royal "symbol" instead of a crown. I imagine a crown would be hard to wear with the Centauri hair crest. There again, Londo was wearing a crown in one of his future visions of himself. It just didn't look right though. I'm glad they went with the "gorget" later on.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to citizens of NY, DC, and to us all.

I always thought the Centauri royal dress code and their society looks like something from Napolean's time. Plus I always thought there was a little of the Romans thrown in there too. A lot of their names sound kinda Latin and they dress kinda French.

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.
Lorien: Where are you going?
RW: To spread the joys of salad throughout the galaxy.

The Centauri Republic was very clearly based on the Roman Empire.

Right down to the Emperor Caligula/Cartagia.

Caesar/Emperor
Centaurum/Senate
Palace Guard/Praetorian Guard
Assasinations/Assasinations
Poison/Poison

Even the Centauri police had a Roman Soldier look to their uniforms.

The Centauri daily clothing looked more Edwardian England than Napoleonic France, to me.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Back