• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

centauri and technomage trilogies

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

i'm not sure if this is the right forum, but i'm wondering how those two series of books are? i really liked the first two teep books, but was very disappointed with the last, which made me rather hesitant to plunge into the other two trilogies. are they any good/worth buying? spoilers ok, btw.

I liked them both, very easy to read.

The Centauri one is probably the more 'interesting' given that it focuses on the fate of Centauri Prime post Londo's ascension.

However, in my opinion, the technomage is the better read, and it does flesh out Galen very well (in fact, my enjoyment of Crusade was increased a great deal after reading that book - Galen gives a lot of subtle looks in the episodes which become very understandable after reading the books).

I'm not sure why being disappointed by a novel written by one writer would make you hesitate to read books written by two others, but I can assure you that the two trilogies you name are very good. On the other hand, I liked the Telepath books, although not as much as the Cavelos and David novels.

And this is more of a "General Disucssion" item that purely B5, so I'll move it later on.

Regards,

Joe

I have read both and I found both to be excellent. Very good reading indeed. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I liked the Telepath trilogy a lot while reading it but on hindsight, it's my least favourite of the trilogies - then again, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the PsiCorps trilogy, including book 3 (which, admittedly, had a very different feel to it than the first two books).

The Centauri trilogy is IMHO still the best... it's reasonably well written and if you're even the least bit interested in what was going on at Centauri Prime and with Vir between Londo's ascension to the throne and his eventual death (and a bit further, IIRC), then it's pretty much a must read.

I liked all 3 trilogies. My favourite would have to go with the Centauri Trilogy though.

I liked the Telepath trilogy a lot while reading it but on hindsight, it's my least favourite of the trilogies - then again, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the PsiCorps trilogy, including book 3 (which, admittedly, had a very different feel to it than the first two books).

Did I miss a trilogy? Or do you mean the "Technomage" trilogy when you say the "Telepath" trilogy? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

They're excellent (all three trilogies), and on a par with "The Shadow Within" and "To Dream in the City of Sorrows." Some people like some of the trilogies more than others. Personally, I like the Centauri and Technomage trilogies more than the Psi Corps trilogy.

The Centauri trilogy has a couple minor mistakes dealing with the year part of some dates (e.g. 2266 being in the books when it should have been 2267).

The Technomage trilogy (Book 2, pages 317-321) has an error where it intersects "The Geometry of Shadows" (specifically the end of the episode, when the Technomages leave). It's an issue of timing, and where a certain ship explodes. The book needs to be fixed here, because the episode is "canon." I've had email correspondence with the author about it, and she (somewhat reluctantly) agrees, though exactly how to fix it remains up in the air (and I suspect will never be done). But, she knows about the problem. Other than that one real problem, I think the Technomage trilogy is great.

Have you watched Crusade? Remember the Technomage trilogy takes place from 11/2258 to 1/2261, "A Call to Arms" took place 12/2266 to 1/2267, and Crusade from 1/2267 to ?/???? (We only saw thru ~9/2267. The unpublished script "End of the Line" would have been in 12/2267.) As a result of this, you might not think that the Galen of the trilogy matches up with (or makes a linear progression to) the Galen of Crusade. In some instances, the Galen of Crusade seems more tentative than the Galen of the trilogy (e.g. at the end of the trilogy). I don't have a problem with this because I can see in-the-story reasons for the differences. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FYI:
Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps (2115-2189)
Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant (2189-2258)
Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester (2271-2281)

Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime (2262-2267)
Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark (2267-2273)
Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness (2274-2278)

The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows (11/2258-12/31/2258)
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light (1/2259-2/2259)
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness (8/2260-1/2261)

Yes. *slaps herself* Thank you... of course I meant "technomage" instead of "telepath"... both start with TE, that's my excuse. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Maybe I should go and do some revisionist editing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif No, be brave. Let the world know that even the great Kribu can make mistakes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I've given the world plenty of examples of that over the years. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kribu made a boo boo! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's funny to see how she kindly points out mistakes that others made, including me, because God knows I'm way far from perfect and then someone else kindly does the same for her. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I had a great laugh with my calculus class a few weeks ago. We were in a topic that is notorious for its "picky" nature. It's easy to slip a minus sign or slip some simple detail like that.

Anyhow, someone asked casually what kind of penalty I'd "impose" for minor mistakes that did not change the basic nature of the problem.

I laughed. "You mean minor arithmetic or miscopying mistakes that don't change the nature of the problem, right?"

"Yes" was the answer.

"Well, I never make those kinds of mistakes, now do I?"

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

My students knew what I meant. Yea, unfortunately a trivial mistake made early can make great chaos. But little mistakes here and there which don't change the nature of the problem are easy to "grade around".

I've been known to take 1/10 of one point off for some mistakes. (i.e. notice this but it won't effect your grade.)

So, if I tease Kribu for being less than perfect every minute of every day, it is for a simple reason. I am imperfect almost every minute of every day. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I hear ya, for I am far from perfect myself, as I think I have already stated.

But still, it's fun to point out others mistakes. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And when I do, I'm hoping the person will be able to laugh with me, and not be mad because they think I'm laughing "at" them, because that is not my intention.

Yea, it's always fun (I've teased some around here recently for making a mistake that was, truely, artistic. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

I do think some jokes can be taken to far, but that's an obvious observation I suppose. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yeah. don't I know some jokes can be taken too far. Just look at me and Elie. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif We've had a rather bumpy history. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ah, but look at how productive that mess turned out to be. Eli has been acting pretty well lately. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Except when he gets around G'kar of the Kha Ri. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif When those two get together, weird weapons tend to come out of thin air. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back