• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Cancellations.

I've had no pain during the upfront presentations. Most shows I likes have already gone... it left Angel, Smallville, Alias and Scrubs. The middle two were already renewed, and the other two got renewed. So I was okay.

But that doesn't help with the pain of losing so many good shoes before that... i.e. Roswell, Dark Angel, Odyssey 5, Farscape and Birds of Prey.

I was really getting into "The Agency" and "John Doe." :( Should have known better. One was across from a damned lawyer show that'll be on forever, and the other was on FOX.

Regarding Celebrity Deathmatch, I was going by The Futon Ctitic's page. It looks like they last aired on Oct. 20th 2002, and have one unaired episode left (#77). I only caught it every now and then but it was usually fun.
Celebrity Deathmatch

In a similar vein, I don't know what's happened to Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I keep looking for it but it's never on.
Space Ghost Coast to Coast

agency, the (cbs)
celebrity deathmatch (mtv)
farscape (sci_fi)
firefly (fox)
john doe (fox)
twilight zone, the (upn)
:(

They always cancel the good ones! Dammit! :mad: Just when you really get into a show, like Firefly...they take it away from you! :(. It gets to the point where you don't want to get into any new shows because you fear it will just be cut down after one season!

Hathor

Just when you really get into a show, like Firefly...they take it away from you!

Didn't we know that Firefly was gone a couple of months back?

Granted, I did enjoy Firefly, but I could never really tell if I liked the show for the show, or for the Anime references it seemed to drag up...

I've had no pain during the upfront presentations...

IN BOLD MOVE, NETWORKS APOLOGIZE FOR NEW FALL SHOWS

The top executives of the major broadcast networks took the extraordinary and bold move today of apologizing for all of their newly announced fall TV shows, stating that the new shows “bite.”

The networks used the opportunity of the so-called “upfront” sales presentations for national advertisers in New York to make their stunning, candid announcement.
- Andy Borowitz

Regards,

Joe

Just when you really get into a show, like Firefly...they take it away from you!

Didn't we know that Firefly was gone a couple of months back?

Granted, I did enjoy Firefly, but I could never really tell if I liked the show for the show, or for the Anime references it seemed to drag up...

Yes, we have known. My point being that it just sucks that no sooner have you started to like a show, and hope to discover more about it, it gets cancelled. :( You aren't given a chance to really decide what you like about the show, because you have been given enough of it to watch to really decide. I remember only really starting to love a show like The X Files after the start of Season 2. Only once past a full season and into a second one, could I decide how much I liked the show :)

Hathor

I can certainly understand why networks cancel shows. Even shows that I like. But it is interesting that some of the best shows (IMHO) started off with ratings that were not so great, IIRC.

I believe I read years ago that "MASH" started off with less than stellar ratings at first. It went on to become one of the most popular shows in USA history.

Did "All in the Family" also lag at the beginning of it's first season? And many other shows I can't remember or never knew came close to cancellation in their first season and then went on to be very great and popular shows.

Networks have no patience now. Or so it seems to me.

And, once again, I can understand networks cancelling shows, especially if they decide to rework their entire program strategy. What I will never forgive TNT for is not cancelling "Crusade", but putting it economically out of reach for any other network to purchase. That's dirty playing, IMHO.

By the way, I thought the vcr on my DVD/VCR player was malfunctioning. The timer light was off. So I turned the vcr on, checked the program listings, and found that there were none.

:eek:

There was a time when I had filled all of my 9 available timer recording slots. I find it hard to believe I am not recording anything on television anymore. I hardly ever watch live tv except the news.

There will be one program on it soon, "Crusade" on the 27th of May. Despite the grotesque pop-up ads that run during the episodes, unless/until the DVD's get to market, it'll be better than nothing. :rolleyes:

Joe,

Did you see this one? I might watch it, if only to see/hear Teri Polo (Detective Sergeant Ashe, a.k.a. Asher Badaktu) once again :D ;) , trying to not get absorbed into the storyline (after all, it'll probably be cancelled inside 8 eps.). :(

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton.cgi?action=newswire&id=5948

"I'm with Her" (working title -- half-hour comedy, Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m., ET) -- Writer Chris Henchy's real life marriage to Brooke Shields is the inspiration for this fresh romantic comedy: He's an average guy living with a woman who can't even pick up their dry cleaning without being asked for an autograph! Which means he's got plenty of funny stories to bring to this series about a high school teacher who falls for a movie star.

On the day that would change his life, delightful young everyman Patrick Owen is drinking his mid-morning latte when he's bitten by love. Literally. The gnashing jaws belong to Monroe, the easily-excited puppy of movie star Alexandra Young. When she tries to apologize ‚ and when Patrick recognizes her famous face ‚ he's awestruck, dumbstruck, and so very charming.

Alex sets her sights on Patrick, but he's unprepared for the add-ons that come with this little flirtation. His anonymity and privacy go up in the flash of a hundred paparazzi cameras. And he's an overnight sensation with his young male students, for reasons that have nothing to do with his brilliant classroom banter. All of which makes him wonder if it's possible to find true love in the hot spotlight of the media.

From the producers of "Smallville" comes a unique look at a guy dating out of his league. Way out of his league. This comedy proves nice guys don't always finish last. Sometimes they go the distance.

Cast:

-- David Sutcliffe: Patrick

-- Teri Polo ("Meet the Parents"): Alex

-- Danny Comden: Stevie

-- Rhea Seehorn: Cheri

-- Credits:

-- Executive Producers/ Writers: Chris Henchy, Marco Pennette

-- Executive Producers: Mike Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola

-- Production Companies: Tollin-Robbins Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television

They always cancel the good ones! Dammit! :mad: Just when you really get into a show, like Firefly...they take it away from you! :(. It gets to the point where you don't want to get into any new shows because you fear it will just be cut down after one season!

That's exactly where I am right now. I don't want to start watching any new shows, except possibly from a totally superficial standpoint (like I mentioned above).

How'd you like where they left The Agency? on a cliffhanger! Now, we'll never know what happened.

Spoilers for The Agency (Season/Series Finale):

Was Stiles able to get the semtex (sp?) collar off of Terri's neck or were they killing off their characters?

What will happen in the Joshua/Quinn/Gage/North Korea double agent thread?

Damn CBS and Moonves (who probably had a hand in the cancellation). :mad:

[quoteThey always cancel the good ones! Dammit! :mad: Just when you really get into a show, like Firefly...they take it away from you! :(. It gets to the point where you don't want to get into any new shows because you fear it will just be cut down after one season!

[/quote]

That's exactly where I am right now. I don't want to start watching any new shows, except possibly from a totally superficial standpoint (like I mentioned above).

How'd you like where they left The Agency? on a cliffhanger! Now, we'll never know what happened.

Damn CBS and Moonves (who probably had a hand in the cancellation). :mad:

Ah yes...Moonves :mad: :devil: What I would love to do to that man! The killer of many a good show. Put Moonves into a room, give me honey and some flesh eating ants/beetles and I'll teach him to cancel good shows :devil:

Hathor

I've been looking at the new schedules for the Fall, & there isn't one show that I want to watch. Hopefully the midseason replacement shows will be better, but come on--not one show is worth watching? :mad:

Tammy

I've been looking at the new schedules for the Fall, & there isn't one show that I want to watch. Hopefully the midseason replacement shows will be better, but come on--not one show is worth watching? :mad:

Tammy

I think I'm going to write to Moonves and a few others, to thank them for freeing up so much of my time. :p I used to have the Timer Record schedule of my DVD Recorder maxed out (and those were using "Weekly" type slots :eek: , like Ch. 6, Weekly Saturday, 10PM-11PM, LP, for "The Agency"). This Fall, I'll have room to spare.

but come on--not one show is worth watching?

Well, to be fair, you can't really tell whether a show will be any good or not based on the one or two sentence blurbs that you are seeing in newspapers right now. I'll check out the NBC version of Coupling because I have seen the original on BBC America and I enjoy that. The two sentence synopsis of the premise would leave me completely cold, though.

And, of course, the NBC version may well be horrible. Comedy relies so much on all of the details of the execution (in addition to the script) that there are no guarantees that the remake will even approach being as funny as the original. Or it might be even better. Or the whole style of humor could very well not be to individual's taste.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back