• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Can Crusade or LotR ever equal B5?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Babylon 5 set up a mythology that has spawned one follow up series and most likely a second as well, but can these two shows ever equal or even surpass B5?

------------------

The more you expected Crusade to be just like B5, the more likely you were to hate what you got, imo.

If we let B5LR be itself, whatever that turns out to be, I do not believe we'll be disappointed.

But JMS hates to repeat himself, so the question is not will it equal B5, but how will it come into it's own. Carve it's own little space in the Straczynskiverse.

You know, even Joe's failures are interesting. How many of us can say that?

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Well, your question assumes that JMS hasn't Learned anything New since writing B5.

True, many writers "peak" early, but JMS seems to be one of those who just keep getting Better each time.

What we got of Crusade was a bit weak, but we also have to remember that, in addition to fighting off the MtrollBAs from TnT, he was Exhausted from writing and producing and promoting 5 Years worth of B5.
He held two Full Time jobs on the show, plus spending at least 3 hours every night online discussing it with fans.
The only thing we couldn't fiure out was how he talked Draal into giving him all those 30 hour days.

Suffice it to say that he spent several Years getting about 3 - 4 hours sleep a night.

In spite of that, he produced better scripts than 90% of the Dreck on TV right now.
It's only in comparison to Babylon 5 that Crusade suffers.
It still stands head and shoulders above any Other SF on TV.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Although it can surpass B5 in terms of story, design, effects (surely!!), characters, I think there is one very important reason why LOTR can never equal or surpass B5.

With B5 we became aware for the first time of what can be achieved in TVSF if you have a writer with vision, persistence and dedication.

When B5 first aired, my staple TV fare was ST:TNG, and at the time that seemed to be "State of the Art". Once I got into B5 there was no going back.

Having had 5 years of B5, our expectations are going to be much higher, but even if LOTR far surpasses B5 as a TV show, it will be very very difficult to equal the sheer thrill that I felt on discovering that B5 was so much more than other TVSF.

Now I'm rambling so I'll go away.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Godkiller:
Babylon 5 set up a mythology that has spawned one follow up series and most likely a second as well, but can these two shows ever equal or even surpass B5?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the theory that JMS still has tons of stories to tell in the B5 universe, and that he gained experience as he went along, I'd have to say Yes.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Well, your question assumes that JMS hasn't Learned anything New since writing B5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think your interpretation assumes that. His question is just that, ... a question.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I don't think that any tv show will ever have the impact on me that B5 had. As the power of it grew and grew over the years (until the end of yer 4) it gradually became the prime focus of my thoughts outside of day to day living, of course.
crazy.gif
Although there were many rough spots, no other show of any genre has ever caught my attention and held it like that.

However, I think it will be hard to meet my expectations even by JMS himself. I think with Crusade I expected too much and I was disappointed. One thing is sure, no other show that has come along since can match B5, even Farscape, which probably comes closest. Farscape simply doesn't have the emotional impact for me.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

I think Crusade could actually have ended up a more compelling story than B5. Compare the 13 episodes we have to the first 13 regular episodes of B5 itself. It really wasn't clear how special B5 was going to be until ATSFOS, but I think Crusade became compelling only 3 or 4 episodes in (depending on whose order one uses.)

I thought The Well Of Forever was one of the best B5 episodes before reading the mage trilogy, but now I think it's my favorite bar none. Hence the avatar if it's still there
wink.gif

Consider also the changes B5 went through over its 5 years. First the main character leaves a year into the show, requiring the entire story arc to be rearranged and the mother of all plot twists to be used halfway through the show instead of at the very end. (I think watching the DS9 finale will give you an idea of what I mean, since an early version of the events in SiL were broadly included in the rejected pitch to Paramount.) Then they have to tie up all the loose ends a year early, so that when they end up getting one more year they've lost all their steam.

Not saying any of that wouldn't have happened in Crusade too, but it certainly had the potential to be as great a story as B5, if not better. Without knowing anything more than trailer-level plot info about Legend, it's impossible to say whether or not he can make lightning strike three times. Without knowing the future of USA Networks and SFC, it's impossible to say whether or not he'll be allowed to do so.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back