• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Calling of the Heart Chapter 11

Disclaimer: The same.

Chapter 11 The Trial

“Everything that I am, everything that I was, died that day. I really screwed everything up, Chantal. And now, I’m going to die for it.”

“No you won’t, Latiya. I am your friend and I will make sure you don’t die for something you never did. Your trial is tomorrow, so I’ll talk with Sect Turvall. See you later.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Latiya replied.

Chantal got up and left the cell. Again, Latiya was left alone to face her thoughts and fears.

The door opened and Latiya looked up. Sect Turvall came in, followed by two Rangers. Latiya stood up hastily.

“It is time.”

Latiya looked down and followed them out of the cell. The corridor was brightly lit. She looked up at the Rangers and recognized them. They were Edward and Furrell. She sighed and frowned. She was really in trouble.

They arrived in a big room filled with chairs. The chairs had members of the Anla’shok occupying them.

Turvall turned to her. “Sit.”

Latiya sat down, facing the crowd. She did not like all the people staring at her.

“Latiya Sheridan is being charged with attempted assassination of President Sheridan. She has pled not guilty,” Turvall turned to her. “Now, we will question you to see if you are not guilty.”

Turvall and Furrell sat down. Her interrogator was Edward. She looked down at her hands, which were clasped tightly together.

“Latiya Sheridan, is it true that you were suspended from the Anla’shok for disorderly conduct?”

Latiya looked up into his eyes. “Yes, it’s true. You know that, Edward. You were there.”

“Yes, I was. But, there are others…who do not know this,” he said coldly.

“What does my suspension-“

“As you can see, it all went wrong there and her respect for authority is clearly shown by her response.”

“Edward-“

Edward turned to her. “You will speak when spoken to and you are only to give an answer,” he paused. “She attacked her fellow team member, Tannia, and she was suspended for two months. During this time, she was in the ISA Compound, gathering information about the Sheridans and the whereabouts of everything.”

“That’s outrageous! Everyone here knows that they took her in after her guardian died!” Chantal yelled, standing up.

“Anla’shok Chantal, sit down until you are called up.” Sect Turvall ordered.

“To add to Anla’shok Chantal’s statement, yes, they took her in. But, she killed her guardian to get them to adopt her.”

“That’s not true!”

“Hush, Latiya!” Sect Turvall yelled.

“He’s lying! There’s no evidence! I-“

“Order!”

“You have to stop-“

“I said order.” Turvall said through clenched teeth.

Latiya fiercely wiped away a tear and stiffened her resolve.

I now call Furrell to the witness stand.”

Furrell stood up and walked towards the front of the room. He smiled at Latiya and sat next to her.

“Anla’shok Furrell, how long have you known Latiya Sheridan?”

“Since the day Tannia decided to insult Latiya and invoke denn’sha.” Furrell said.

“And, how well do you know her?”

“Not that well. All I know is that she would not try to kill Sheridan.”

“How do you know?”

“When Tannia invoked denn’sha, Latiya declined because she did not wish to kill.”

“Why would she waste her time killing someone of no importance when she can kill the President of the Interstellar Alliance?”

“I don’t know. All I know is that she would not kill him!”

Edward turned to Latiya. “We heard from a reliable source that you have visions.”

Latiya’s mouth dropped open in surprise and disdain. “Where did you hear that?”

“Excuse me, Sect Turvall, but these questions have nothing to do with the charges. I say that somebody else should be asking questions.” Chantal said.

Turvall looked at her. “All right. This court is adjourned. We will meet again tomorrow.”

Latiya stood up and walked towards Chantal.

“Thanks.”

“I told you I would help. Don’t worry. I’ll be sure to get real witnesses.”

“How did Edward find out?”

“I don’t know. All I know is that he is pretty sneaky and he can get anything.”

“That doesn’t sound good, Chantal. I could lose this.”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“What will my sentence be if I’m proven guilty?” Latiya asked, fearing the answer she might get.

“Well, it’s really uncertain at this time, but…are you sure you want to know?”

“Yes.”

“Well, they said it could be punishable by death and that we…your team mates…may have to do the execution.” Chantal said quietly.

“This way, Miss Sheridan. You can talk to Anla’shok Chantal later,” a guard said.

Latiya bowed to Chantal and marched confidently out of the room and towards her cell. The guard opened the door to her cell and she obediently walked in and sat on the floor before the guard closed the door. Latiya opened her thoughts and began to meditate.

“There is a darkness coming. One that will affect you and ones you hold close. You must be at the right place at the right time. Three will be able to destroy it, but they will need your help.”

Latiya opened her eyes. She had just had a vision.

Written by Hope Maria Conaway. August 29, 2001.

EntilZhaDelenn

------------------
"There is always hope. It is the one thing no one has figured out how to kill yet." Galen.

"It's a shame our reality is devestating." Eve What's Going On?

"Oh, but who are they to judge us? Together we can all be strong." Alicia Keys, What's Going On?

"Oh, brother, brother, brother. There's far too many of you dying." Gwen Stefani, What's Going On?

Ooh, the plot thickens into a thick, creamy vegetable soup of supsense.

Also, I just ate soup for lunch. The mysteries keep coming!

I doubt that the Minbari would use capital punishment, all that "life is precious" nonsense and "Minbari don't kill Minbari," but it sure helps the story.

I sure hope Latiya doesn't die. As Londo would say, "For a Minbari, she's very cute."

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Always love a good plot and a thickening mystery
smile.gif

------------------

Hmm.... I'd theorize, but I don't wanna put up any spoilers for the rest. Yes I'm arrogant enought to be certain that my theories are true
laugh.gif

May Valen be with you.

Wow!
shocked.gif
cool.gif

------------------
The Whitestar Salad Bar, our last best hope for peace, and a good meal too!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back