• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Boxleitner with a pen

GKarsEye

Regular
So yesterday I'm browsing in a book store, and I come across a book in the sci-fi section written by our very own Captain Sheridan, Mr. Bruce Boxleitner.

I pick up the book and start cracking up. It's some sort of Western sci-fi thing. As if that isn't funny enough, written on the cover, in big letters, is "Captain Sheridan from Babylon 5: Bruce Boxleitner." Then I turn the book over, and on the back is a big ol' picture of Bruce standing in B5 uniform (I think it was the one he wore in season 4, the black one) with a big doofy grin on his face.

Ok, just because you acted in a sci-fi show, doesn't mean you can write sci-fi.

It was cute, and gave me a much needed chuckle.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Yeah, that's the one! The one on the bottom is the one I saw in the store. But now there are two! That's just great.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Maybe he didn't want to be out done by Shatner, who has written several books. One series was the basis of a TV mini series.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Palindromes of the month: Lager, sir, is regal. Do geese see god?

It doesn't mean he can't write either. Some day I'll have to pick one of those up(from a library). If nothing else it would be worth a laugh. After all I loved when the SHAT was doing priceline commercials.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

I've read both books. The idea was quite original. He did a lot of research on the Western part and tried to get it historically correct. I do know he has stopped working on the third one. I guess sales weren't good enough.

Peter Jurasik also wrote a scifi book which was really original and the plot was stolen by Galaxy Quest.
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:

Peter Jurasik also wrote a scifi book which was really original and the plot was stolen by Galaxy Quest.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean the "sf actor kidnapped by real aliens to fulfil their character's role for real" plot, then that was already done back in the 70s in a Trek fanfic called something like "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited", in one of the Vonda McIntyre-edited anthologies. It's not bad, actually. Also, in Heinlein's "Double Star", and actor is hired to impersonate a politician, then the politician dies and the actor has to take on his role - a plot used in the film "Dave". There's nothing new under the sun!

------------------

I don't see how anyone can claim something could be stolen from a fanfic. Can you report your stolen car stolen?

I can't remember an example right now but I do believe there have been earlier stories, scifi or not, about an actor being forced into a real life role. The originality is in the details.

Nothing against you though.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

Earlier story where the imposter must take over: The Prisoner of Zenda, or The Prince and the Pauper. I'm not saying Peter J wasn't ripped off, but it would take more than a superficial similarity.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Palindromes of the month: Lager, sir, is regal. Do geese see god?

The word "stolen" was poorly chosen. I should have said Jurasik wrote a book which was soon followed by the movie Galaxy Quest which had a similar plot. It seemed like more than a coincidence at the time.
crazy.gif

I'm not surprised to learn that a similar plot has been used before by other writers. It's pretty hard to be original these days.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
I don't see how anyone can claim something could be stolen from a fanfic
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone did.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back