• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Beware of AUTOGRAHPS...From J.M.S.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivanova:
I found something else to share, and, again, it is on a sad note. I found this a while back while looking though some old posts. The column is written by a comic writer by the name of Warren Ellis and there is a part in this particular column where he talks about a Con experience that Claudia Christian had.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=cia&article=563
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ivanova -- watch out for tribbles!

You know, I always suspected it was that hard. No wonder there are so many horror stories.

I have seen (not necessarily met) many a celeb in my time and have always felt they were "folks" just like me so I left them alone, didn't become the gushing fan with the jaw on the floor who couldn't speak a cohesive sentence in English. Missed out on many an autograph, but still felt better about it. Alright, I messed up with Richard Chamberlain, I came damn close to drooling. Most unbecoming. He just smiled.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Re Claudia Christian story:

Haven't been to a SF con in ten years. Looks like I won't be attending for a while...

I, too, have a low opinion of most fen. It's unreasonable. A flaw in my character, maybe. I just can't get the image of this one guy telling Johnathan Frakes: "I think I speak for everyone here when I say you ARE the new Captain Kirk!" like he was _annointing_ the guy...

Annoyed the heck out of me, anyway.

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

[This message has been edited by taichidave (edited June 07, 2001).]

Yes Claudia DOES do cons! The pics in this thread are from the Motor City Comic Con 3 weeks ago... http://www.b5lr.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000029.html

She was VERY nice and talkative! I didn't notice any security with her though. Maybe it was Robin Downes, or the vending machine guy in the pic! The con was dead when I met her, about an hour before closing the first day and maybe 200 fans inside.

No giant tribbles, but there were a few whackos...
wink.gif

I wouldn't buy an autograph. There's something about it that seems impersonal to me. I agree with whoever said it's more fun to get the autograph when meeting the person.

------------------
"During a witch hunt, don't get caught wearing a pointy hat."

I've been to dozens of cons over the years. Helped organize both a Local con and a Worldcon Bid.

While there ARE a lot of socially inept people, the majority are nice enough. The bad ones are a distinct minority. I have noticed that the worst of the socially inept are the ones who tend to Obsess on just one show, book or author. Some of these develop genuinely psychotic behavior. Claudia can ciount herself lucky that her psycho used a blank gun. And was alone. I know of one author who had a Group that made a serious attempt on her life. They were angry because she stopped writing a particular series. And that she'd said publicly that it was because she'd gotten some rather disturbing "Fan mail" from a few of her readers. They were evidently taking the stories as Truth and wanted _Instructions_ on how to become like her lead character. By all reports, for the next couple years, she took a couple bodyguards with her to cons.

On the other end of the nutcase spectrum, there was a woman who went to a bunch of Trek cons for several Years passing herself off as the Author of some of the most popular Trek books. She got away with it for quite a while because the Author lived in England and never traveled to the US. The imposter had established a phony US contact address and got it into the hands of a bunch of Con organizers. She was finally caught when she got TOO bold. She got into conversations with a few Editors and promised them Books. When the Editors contacted the REAL author asking about the books, the whole scheme unraveled.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I remember that! It was Diane Duane. She had an article in Starlog about it with her picture and the whole story. She said if there was ever anyone at a con who said she was her and didn't look like the pic to contact her.

It was about 10 years ago, I was like 17. Did they ever catch the fake?

------------------
"During a witch hunt, don't get caught wearing a pointy hat."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back