• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Battlestar revival campaign

According to sci-fi wire, these guys have raised over $10,000 for an advertising campaign "urging series creator Glen A. Larson and X-Men producer Tom DeSanto to develop a theatrical feature film that picks up the story where the 1970s TV series left off."

Firstly, wow, that's a lot of cash. I know a lot of Battlesar fans are bitter about the new sci-fi series, i have'nt seen it (only read a few angry reactions) but it does sound a bit lame. I did enjoy the 80's one as a kid, but it has never really grabbed me in my alleged adulthood..

With Galactica now re-imagined as a full series, surely their chances of getting a 'sequel' film are slim at best.
Apart from a conflict of interests over the IP, is there any public buzz for such a project?

I've not dug that far into details the project myself, but i can't help but think that money could have been put to better use. It kind of echo's Anthony's point in the last Beyond the Rim on the cost of the save Farscape cmapaign. Except in that case, the show was cancelled before its time.
And Farscape rocks like Angus Young on a swingboat.
:D
What does everyone think? Are there people here who think it is a worthy cause? These fan ad campaigns are an interesting phenomenon in fandom.

Edited to actually make sense...

Hey, I could produce at least two feature films on that amount!

No hope for this film...really. It won't happen, the rights have changed and that version of BG will probably never see the sun again except on the DVD release of the series.

And just to say it, I liked the original too when I was a kid. But, then, I was a kid. Now, they make me cringe and cower at their sugar-coated badness.

Even if they did manage to get this film done, I would gaurantee you it would be a stinker.

Nope, the studio made its choice to go back to TV and re-envision it. Once that decision was made, that was that. And while I felt the new version had room for improvement, I did feel it was a marked improvement over the old one and has definate potential if done right. Now there's where the question lies.

CE

Well i watched it in the 80's..... ;)

The words 'straws' and 'grasping' spring readily to mind. The only people that profit from these campaigns are the advertisers, i'm afraid.

Yea, I can't really see the point, there is a new series coming that's "re-imagined", and I'm not sure that the original cast is any longer appropriate, since they have aged quite a bit, and didn't Galactica 1980 leave them on Earth?

Plus, while the original was a nice campy series to watch, I don't think it was a major masterpiece that needs to be picked back up 25 years later and continued.

Yea, I can't really see the point, there is a new series coming that's "re-imagined", and I'm not sure that the original cast is any longer appropriate, since they have aged quite a bit, and didn't Galactica 1980 leave them on Earth?

Plus, while the original was a nice campy series to watch, I don't think it was a major masterpiece that needs to be picked back up 25 years later and continued.

Amen and amen! :D

and didn't Galactica 1980 leave them on Earth?
Galactica 1980 is something that is usually stricken from the memories of any Galactica fan. It was a HORRIBLE attempt at re-inventing the series just 1 season later with a mostly-new cast, and was an utter failure. Many fans of the show just forget it ever happened (as well as Glen Larson too I'd wager). It was truly awful. So I wouldn't require that part to be a continuation if they do think of doing it. (which they wont)

There was a lot of dislike for Galactica 1980 right from the start, the original had a large following and when it was cancelled the outcry from the fans and the fact it was very high in the ratings caused the network to reconsider. They tried to bring it back with about half the budget. Here is a link with a better explaination. Galactica 1980

I think these people need to invest that $10,000 in a higher grade of dope than that ditch-weed they've been smoking. They'd be just as addled and dellusional, but they'd have a lot more fun and probably be a lot more laid-back about life in general and silly things like long-dead TV shows in particular. :)

If nothing happens in the near future (as a result of the recent interest in the B5 universe) I sure hope there aren't people 25 years from now running petition drives to bring Crusade back as a feature film or doing something as stupid as raise money to pay of an advertisement simply to urge JMS to do something he'd probably be inclined to do anyway if a studio or network was ready to invest the money to do it. One of the bad things the internet does is make it easy for clueless people to band together and launch stupid, futile gestures. (See, "boycott the oil companies for one day" and a million and one drives to get people to throw out harmless products base on phony health scares and junk science.)

Regards,

Joe

:D :D
And there's me trying not to upset the die-hard Galactica fans, when in swoops JDM and tells it like it is.
The Interent is full of lost causes, and this really is a bit hopeless.
Even Richard 'the second coming' Hatch and his www.battlestargalactica.com site have slowly become less hostile to the remake series. This is i'm sure due in no small part to Rich getting a re-occuring role in the new show. This man had a small industry centered around getting a continuation of the show (own trailer, series of books etc etc..) and has now conceded to fate. Unlike this lot of fans.
Got to pay those bills, eh Rich!! :p

I think these people need to invest that $10,000 in a higher grade of dope than that ditch-weed they've been smoking.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Man, oh man do I ever agree with that!

They'd be just as addled and dellusional, but they'd have a lot more fun and probably be a lot more laid-back about life in general and silly things like long-dead TV shows in particular. :)

And about that long-dead TV show, in particular. :eek:

If nothing happens in the near future (as a result of the recent interest in the B5 universe) I sure hope there aren't people 25 years from now running petition drives to bring Crusade back as a feature film or doing something as stupid as raise money to pay of an advertisement simply to urge JMS to do something he'd probably be inclined to do anyway if a studio or network was ready to invest the money to do it.

Well, you can count me out of that one. Yikes! :eek: I'd be 72 and JMS would be 75. If nothing happens in the very near future to continue the Crusade storyline, it's never going to happen in video form, at least while we're all alive. Doesn't mean that it couldn't happen 50 or 60 years down the road, by someone else, without JMS, but I'll be beyond the rim, and won't care.

One of the bad things the internet does is make it easy for clueless people to band together and launch stupid, futile gestures.

Yeah, but like you said, they've gotta be on drugs. Hell, I liked the new Sci-Fi Ch. re-imagining of BG far more than the original, and let's not talk about G1980. :p

Latest posts

Members online

Back