• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon Squared

dragon69

Beyond the rim
If Delenn and the grey council wanted to keep a close eye on Sinclair, and chose him for the Babylon 5 station, why was he not chosen for Babylon 4?

I could be mistaken, but it is never explicitly stated that he wasn't chosen for B4.

As I recall, Major Krantz was simply in charge of the final stages of construction, and may have been relieved of command once the station was operational and everything was running smoothly.

On the other side, having Sinclair in charge of Babylon 4 may not have been a concern for the Minbari. On the one hand, it was sooner after the war, and Delenn may not have been able to convince enough people on the Minbari side to support Sinclair.

However, what I believe is that since B4 was basically paid for by Earth, they got final say so over who would be running it. The Minbari could not have insisted on anyone as commander. Once it vanished, all the materials were gone, and Earth couldn't afford to build another one. In swoop the Minbari offering the materials for for the station only if they get a say so on who runs the place, and of course they want their buddy Sinclair.

If he had taken B4 and vanished with it, he wouldn't have been Minbari enough to do all the stuff he did earlier on. But that's opening up the whole time-travel, circular reasoning can of spoo, and nobody likes to think about that stuff too much.

As Kosh would say, He has always been here (B5 and Minbar, not B4).

>!<
RADAR

Krantz was in charge only for the construction. (Something about him that I just noticed -- he was wearing a gray uniform, which was security, like Garibaldi. I think a security guy got tapped for a construction job because of the sabotage on the previous three projects.) Once the station was complete, someone else was to come in, probably one of the top brass to guess from Garibaldi's comment to Sinclair somewhere in S1. Radar's right about the rest of it. Sinclair would never have gotten the job for B4 because at that point the Minbari had no control over the station's commander.

Also, I don't think the Minbari had realized that Sinclair was Valen yet. They knew he had Valen's soul. He was therefore very important, but I don't think they'd figured out the time travel aspect yet.

Besides, the day on which Sinclair got the letter from Valen hadn't arrived yet, so no one really knew he was Valen. Well, except for the Vorlons, that is, but they obviously weren't going to say anything.

Krantz was in the Marines. His uniform was a dark olive color, not grey...unless my memory is failing along with the rest of me.

I'd love to check but I had to send my DVD's back to Deep Discount due to the scratches that decorated a few of my disks. Grrrr......

But that begs the question, why a Marine commander? And what exactly is the military structure breakdown of the Earth Alliance, anyways?

>!<
Radar

You may be right about the Marine thing. But that's still more security-oriented than basic construction.

You are missing an obvious one. Babylon 4 was not funded in part by the Minbari government like B5 was, it was only after 4 disappeared that Earth decided that it's coffers were a bit empty and applied for support from the Minbari. In return, they had the final say as to who would command B5.

In short the Minbari had nothing to do with Babylon 4 except for it's usage in Valen's Shadow War. So they would not have been able to put Sinclair in charge. They would have still had an ambassador though.

Well it mostly Humans who stole it ... they just gave it to the Minbari. Had that "Possession is 9/10th of the law" idea been invented by the 1200's on Earth? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Middle Ages? The time when whoever had the biggest sword was in charge (in simplified terms)? Almost undoubtedly.

"Krantz was in charge only for the construction. (Something about him that I just noticed -- he was wearing a gray uniform, which was security, like Garibaldi. I think a security guy got tapped for a construction job because of the sabotage on the previous three projects"

He was wearing brown uniform. like that Ben...Ben...that scar fased officer.

Colonel Ari Ben Zayne I think is who you mean unless you too are drifting into Grizzly Adams Mania, there was brown uniform wearing bloke called Ben in that, trouble is he was a bear! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back