• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 PC Game Combat Simulator

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

frown.gif
Does anyone know what happened to the (Sierra Studios), Babylon 5 PC game combat simulator? It was titled: 'Into The Fire'...............
According to the official web site for it, the info was logged in 1998 and it was supposed to be on the market in the year of 2001. Except we are now in 2002.

I thought this might have something to do with the fact that they chose to go with a supposed state of the art technology, called ANTHLON. Did that format become obsolete? Maybe when they got ready to release it, NVIDIA came out. If anyone knows what's up, I'd be soooooooooo eternally grateful?

I've been waiting for a cool PC B-5 game forever!!!
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I sincerely hope their hopes aren't dashed at releasing it.

[Forgive if this has been asked before].

Oh yeah, by the way........ Here is the website address: www.firstones.com/b5games/
------------
"You have always been here." Kosh (Speaking to Sheridan, from: All Alone In The Night)

"Love to stay, can't, have to go, kiss kiss, love love, bye." G'Kar (B-5 LOTR)

------------------
Faith Manages...

[This message has been edited by for the one (edited February 01, 2002).]

Sierra's B5:ITF was cancelled many moons ago. Surprise you hadn't heard about it. Disappoinnted a lot of people.

However, there is a freeware B5 simulator being developed by some hard core fans and B5 gurus. It's called Babylon 5: I've Found Her, or IFH for short. (IFH references what Sinclair says in one of the comic books regarding the shadow war 1000 years ago IIRC) It's shaping up to be pretty nice, but they are a tad behind in releasing the demo. There is an alpha version out, however.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Oh..... thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
laugh.gif
You don't know what this means to me. Very sad about the Sim though. It looked really put together well!!! Can you tell me why it was canceled many moons ago?

What happened then to all the film footage they used in the PC game?.... And what do you mean when you say out on ALPHA,....... explain, please?
crazy.gif
I'm not very tech computer oriented, so be patient with me.
smile.gif

Do you think all the film footage will ever be reformated into a live movie then?

'Babylon 5:I've Found Her',sounds like a wild project. Is it involving the

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>time then when Sinclair (Valen),
goes back in time to fight the Shadow War 1000 years in the past, aboard Babylon 4? </font></td></tr></table>

Sounds wonderful.....
laugh.gif
Now if only they would make a series about that and bring back Sinclair. No matter what anybody says a liked Sinclair.

Wow! B-5 Legend Of The Rangers at 8pm and Babylon 4 The Shadow War at 9pm. Ahhhhhhh
yes to dream is a wonderful thing. Followed by the movie theater Telepath War movie. Then followed by a movie about the Third Space creatures attacking the galaxy and then followed by a movie about Za'Ha'Dum and Mr Mordin.

If only it were true. Well... I can dream can't I?
tongue.gif
It would have MADE THE STUDIOS MORE MONEY THEN KING SOLOMON.

BABYLON 5 RULES!!! :
------------
"You have always been here." Kosh (Speaking to Sheridan,from: All Alone In The Night)

------------------
Faith Manages...

[This message has been edited by for the one (edited February 01, 2002).]

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but it was cancelled in 99. I dont remeber what the offical reason was, but it sounded pretty cheesy at the time. I saw a screen shot once apon a time. No company is making a game but let me do some research.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lindley:
There's some info over at www.firstones.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somone found where I have been camping for the last few hours.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xzyl:
Somone found where I have been camping for the last few hours.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well thats okay, i've been lurking there for the past 4 years
wink.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Into the Fire getting canned was one of the reasons I really hated Sierra for quite a while and didn't want to buy any of their games...They cancelled the game pretty much out of nowhere when it was quite a ways along and let go most of the people working on it. Then later, when many of those people had gone to another company, they asked Sierra if they could buy the material and finish it on their own. Sierra wouldn't sell them the material or even the rights, and they weren't doing anything with it themselves either; they just sat on it. Pretty bastardly, but eventually I forgave them because they still put out most of the quality PC games these days (they've swallowed up most of the other good companies) and I've got to have somethingto play
laugh.gif

------------------
Proud B5 fanatic and member of the [ReM]Counter-Strike clan.

Ah, yes Wolfy, that would explain your sig.
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

IIRC "Into The Fire" was one of quite a large number of projects cancelled in one go due to some sort of re-structuring (read "cost cutting"
wink.gif
) at Sierra.

I thought at the time that it was an odd choice, because the buzz about the game was starting to grow. The online previews and stuff that I have read subsequently were all very effusive about the game as a game, even without the B5 connections.

Some mags were declaring it as potentially the best ever space combat game, and as setting a new standard for in-game spaceship physics and non-linear gameplay.

Its non-appearance is a damn shame, because I could just do with the best ever space combat game on my PC - even better if I could fly a Starfury.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't lay my hands on the appropriate links at the moment, but just prior to Mike Helba's "About B5 Fans" site being pulled the links were still up there. He maybe still has them atWorlds of JMS if anyone is interested.

------------------
DaveC
"Let me be the first to say that this is the nuttiest idea you've ever had."

I was very dissapointed too. However, sierra had some B5 game merchandise to unload after they cancelled the game, free, you just had to pay for shipping.
I got a cool B5 holo-mousepad and a B5 Watch with a shadow ship on it for $7.
I would have loved to buy the game, but at least i got some rare merchandise out of the deal!
heh
wink.gif

------------------
-----Khurzhor-----

"Farewell friend. I was a thousand times as evil as thou."
-Stormbringer

Go and download the trailer for IFH you'll be amazed
laugh.gif
Their next demo which will include 5 mission is well under way and nearing completion....

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

The best chance to fly those Starfuries would be to download the Babylon 5 Mod for FREESPACE 2 (A Space Combat Sim created by Volition)

It is over a Hundred Meg and is still a demo, but can be downloaded in increments.

It is a fantastic looking piece and it includes many ships from the B5 Universe.

(Starfury, Hyperion, Nova, Sharlin, Tinashi, Orion Starbase and others I think) And the campaign is based directly on the Earth/Minbari War 5-6 Missions I think and they are extremely well done.

To find a link goto http://www.firstones.com and it should be Freespace The Babylon Project in the Mods Area.

Word is, the team is working on v2 Release. YAY!!!

------------------
"It is the Errors and faults of we,
That we fight for our nation,
Against a darkness that we forever see."

the only 'bad' thing about the FS2 mod is the physics model... many like myself would love to see true newtonian physics in a B5 game like ITF would have had, but that cant be done in the FS2 engine
frown.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back