• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR and B5 / Crusade Story Lines?

I'm certain that JMS et al can come up with all sorts of new, original stories for the B5LR gang.

But, who among us didn't enjoy seeing G'Kar again?

One of the things that would excite me about B5LR is the chance to see again favorite characters from other shows.

Who would you like to see woven in? Which story line would you like to see started / continued?

Personally, I'd always love to see more of Alfred Bester.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I agree, a story line with Bester would be interesting.

I am not sure when Lennier dies, but if he is still alive at this time I would like to see the end of his story which would almost certainly include Delenn.

An episode or two which took place on Babylon 5 with whatever crew is there would be nice.

Also since the Rangers home base is on Minbar it would be great to see Sheridan and Delenn involved.

It would be interesting to see Galen again.

And although this is not likely, I would love to see Ivanova in an episode or two.

There is also no reason why an episode couldn't take place on Mars involving Garibaldi.

That's only a beginning.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

I would like to see an ep where Gaelen and Bester meet. That ought to make for some very interesting and very funny dialog.

I'm under the impression that B5: LoTR takes place after Crucade..so having the er..you know which ship I'm talking about back up the Excalibur could be interesting.
Who among us didn't enjoy seeing J'kar..whoever it was (if there are any) don't deserve to watch! Sci-fi will pull LoTR from their residence only!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
lol.gif

Seeing Ivonova would be great. *sniff* Marcus too if possible, probably far too early for that though. Seeing Zak (Zack?) again would be good too..Maybe add him to the Bester and Gaelen scene...and toss in Gerebaldi, Sheridan , and the new captain...Who could see that scene taking a whole ep to do properly?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm under the impression that B5: LoTR takes place after Crucade <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crusade happens a couple of years after Rangers.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I thought that Rangers was supposed to be about 2 years before Crusade's story. And Marcus could not appear, I'm afraid. From season 4:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Marcus died in season 4. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Seeing Marcus is impossible save for flashbacks.

JMS specifically wrote 'Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic' to shut up the fans who always bugged him about bringing back Marcus.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Rangers was set in 2265, after the Teep War (2264-65) and before ACtA (December 2266) and Crusade (2267)

So anybody who happened to have died, say, during or around the time of the Teep War is not going to be available, except possibly in flashbacks.

Depending on when the Rangers series starts, and if JMS follows the pattern of "one year equals one season" (which is by no means certain, he ducked the question when I asked him about it on usenet some time ago), that would put the Crusade overlap at S2 or S3 - which I'm sure is deliberate. (Gives JMS time to get Rangers on its feet and step back into the executive producer role while devoting most of his time to Crusade.)

Marcus is out of the question during the timeframe of the projected season any way you look at it. (Again, excepting flashbacks.) At the very least he's still a Rangersicle as late as 2281. More than likely he is simply dead and his cryo-preservation is simply an expression of Susan's inability to let go, and the last symbol of her only chance at true romance. (JMS wrote "Space, Time..." in such a way that you can either accept it as canon or ignore it. I prefer to ignore it. Either way, Marcus won't be joining the crew, unless he's hanging around with the ghosts of the Liandra these days.
smile.gif
)

Given that the show is going to be called Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers I think it would be difficult for them not to put in at the station at least a few times per season. Martell and company are supposed to function primarily as a covert ops, intelligence-gathering unit, more like Mission: Impossible than Star Trek. It won't be a "ship show"

And the Ranger's mission is to help the Alliance members rebuild after the recent upheavals. It would make sense for Liandra to have a "homeport" closer to the center of the action. Babylon 5, after all, was built where it was because it was equidistant between the homeworlds of the major governments, and convenient for the worlds of the old League. The station would also serve as a convenient meeting place for people in transit to various worlds. And, presumably, the Rangers must coordinate with the Chief of IA Covert Intelligence - who is still based on B5, AFAIK, for the reasons given above.

Bester is iffy. The Teep War is over and he's a wanted war criminal. We would have seen him once in Crusade (but if I remember what I've heard about the script correctly, Galen wasn't in that episode.) Given what we learn from the Psi Corp Trilogy, I think having him found and released twice would be pushing it. I suppose it is possible, but if so I wouldn't expect to see him on Rangers more than once during the series' whole run. (Ditto Crusade.)

OTOH, if Rangers becomes a series, and does well, the chances of a B5 theatrical film go up. Since that would almost certainly be the Teep War story, we'd really get a lot of Bester.
smile.gif

G'Kar is slated to be a semi-regular (which is probably why he is in the pseudo-"credits" section of the movie.) Figure he'll be in at least a half-dozen episodes per year.

I'm sure Delenn will be worked in if at all possible. They needn't go to Mars to find Garibaldi. Between his far-flung business interests and his personal hunt for Bester, he could turn up anywhere, and they could easily meet him on B5. For the first couple of seasons, Stephen Franklin would also be available. I can't see Franklin spending all his time behind a desk on Earth, so they could plausibly run across him almost anywhere, negotiating for some newly discovered race's medical records, for instance. Sheridan is also a likely candidate for a guest shot.

Given the expense of flying the actors to Vancouver and housing them during the shoot, these folks probably won't just "pop up" in cameos. There would have to be a good reason to use them in a story, and they'd have to play a substantial part in it. For the same reason it is unlikely that more than one such guest star would appear in the same episode. I doubt the budget would stretch that far.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 23, 2002).]

Bear in mind that the working title of the potential series is "B5: Legend of the Rangers." That leaves a LOT of territory for storylines, such as history, future, exploration, story of how Valen formed the Rangers, etc.

While I'd love to see JMS also have the ability to finish Crusade as well, the whole premise the title suggests a fantastic range of storylines, with many guests from the B5 universe involved. I personally would like to see Vir again, especially during the Centauri trilogy, as well as the B5 Next Generation introduced in "Objects at Rest" (especially Number 1).

Let's just hope for the series...any word Joe D?
cool.gif

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I thought that Rangers was supposed to be about 2 years before Crusade's story <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite right Hyp.
smile.gif
Just to summarize ... B5 ended in 2262, Rangers movie takes place in 2264 (I assume the series will begin in 2265?) and Crusade started in 2267.

The great thing about if the series happens, the timeline between Rangers and Crusade will cross around season 3 (if our assumptions are correct about what year the Rangers series will begin). Imagine the possibilites!
smile.gif

As for B5 chars I would like to see in Rangers? Honestly, if we get some, that is great but I would rather see how the chars that were introduced develop. I would be ecstatic if the next time I saw a B5 char was in a feature movie.
laugh.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Marcus died in season 4. </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Well, in (I think) Sleeping in the Daylight we see that Marcus's body is preserved in cryotube under the order of (some high rank) Susan Ivanova until new rececitation methods become available, so it is possibly that Marcus might be resurrected.</font></td></tr></table>

[This message has been edited by dimon37 (edited January 23, 2002).]

Keep in mind that it IS "The Legend of the RANGERS".

These are Their stories, not the story of Babylon 5.
JMS has already Told that story.

He's said a couple times that he's already planned (as much as he can) the Feature Movie as the fitting reward for the actors who made Babylon 5 so great.

It IS a Reward, btw, particularly in the Financial sense.
They'd all get a Nice paycheck from a movie.
Much better than a TV show can afford to pay.

The issue of Pay, BTW, is one of the reasons JMS limited B5 to 5 Seasons.
If they'd gone beyond that, they'd have to give all the actors a big pay hike.
It'd push the cost of production over any reasonable budget for a TV show.

And, yeah, I know Dreck has some very Unreasonable budgets.
But it's a cash cow.
They can milk a lot more profit out of it than any other show.
They DO milk the fans shamelessly.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back