• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 / ST:DS9 pissing contest on Amazon.

Recoil

Regular
Hah!

Check this out people. Some individuals just have no lives and nothing better to do than shovel dirt and start back up an old argument.

I was looking at the B5:S2 set on Amazon.com via Antony's link over there at the left, you know, looking at what is going to be in it, seeing how it may be selling so far, etc. I was also checking out the customer reviews and noticing how many people were giving it 5 stars (mainly because its B5 and a great story).

Then I saw another feature --- recommendations. It seems some Star Trek fans had nothing better to do than to click on the B5 Season 1 and Season 2 links, and recommend people buy DS9 Season 1 and DS9 Season 2 sets INSTEAD of B5. It seems they are trying to get more recommendations AGAINST it than B5 fans have recommending the other B5 sets.

How pathetic.

Not for the first time, I am embarrassed to be a Treker.

I know what you mean. Im a Trek fan too, I grew up on it, but I like both series just fine as they are very different. I cant believe some people will waste their time with petty shit like that. Trying to bring back the old B5 vs DS9 argument again. *sigh*

I read the recommendations under the B5:S2 site and only four recommeded DS9 instead of B5. However if you go the DS9 site on Amazon you'll see that 27 recommended buying B5: S2 intead of DS9. B5 romps !
grin.gif

However if you go the DS9 site on Amazon you'll see that 27 recommended buying B5: S2 intead of DS9. B5 romps !

I don't see how thats any better then the other way around.

*sigh* Some people have nothing better to do obviously you don't like B5 that's fine with me but there is no reason to diss the show.Embarrased to be a DS9 fan.

you guys are completely right. this is one of those things that will never end... as long as Babylon 5 and DS9 are remembered. and i hope b5 at least lasts for a long time.

besides, it´s pointless, everyone knows DS9 ripped-off Babylon 5
laugh.gif

just kidding, i have no idea of what happened and really coudn´t care. i love b5,and haven´t seen anything of DS9. although i know it will have no effect, this is my say to people wasting time bashing b5 or DS9: please, it´s just a tv show, its not like someone copied your homework and put their name on it or something. shut up! heh

That reminds me, there was this guy who sat behind me in history who'd try and copy from me every now and then, but our teacher always caught him and made him stop. One day we had a substitute, a rather elderly lady. So this kid behind me scoots his desk up almost next to me and copied down everything I wrote. She let him get away with it. Suddenly he says, "Oooooh, maaaan!" The sub asked him what the matter was. "I was copying from Marissa and wasn't paying attention and I put her name down on my paper!" Classic.

lol that has happened to me too. imagine if the guy gave in an exam with your name... now THAT would be classic. suckers.

I'm going to admit something that I have never told anyone else ever before and I hope it won't change peoples opinions of me (even though I don't think anyone really knows me anyway
tongue.gif
). When I first watched the premier of the B5 two hour movie The Gathering I actually didn't like it. I was a huge trek fan at the time. For me it was Trek all the way.

It was pure luck, or maybe cosmic fate, that one day I was flipping channels and B5 was on and I stopped and gave it another chance. Right then and there I realized that there was room enough in my life and the world for two sci fi series. I have been hooked on B5 ever since (even converted my wife who was an X-Files fan) but I also like Trek (even though my enthusiasm for Trek has gone downhill because of the excellent writing and characterization in the B5 universe). I'm always recommending B5 to my friends and tell them they need to watch this really great show.

No I don't like B5, I love it. You obviously don't know what 'romp' meant. It meant B5 kicks ass. When 27 people prefer B5 over 4 who like DS9, thats great. Look before you leap!

the first time i saw B5, it was in a hotel room. i was on a coast to coast trip in the US (i'm from Israel) and i was quite bored.
the episode was "Soul Hunter" ,and it sucked so much...i think i gave up half way through.
about a year or two later i cought a season 2 episode, and i was hooked since than.
Babylon 5 is just about the only show i consider myself a fan of, and i love sci-fi.
"Soul Hunter" still sucks, though ;-)

Well, I don't like the Gathering, either. In fact, if it wasn't for Sinclair, I don't think I'd watch any of the first season. I started out hating B5, too, but it slowly won me over until I found myself taping the TNT run before it went to Sci Fi.

Thank you for reminding me why I nowadays reffer to myself as someone who watches & enjoys Star Trek and no longer reffer to myself as a Trekker
blush.gif

I thought a lot of this junk would pass when Majel Rodenberry (sp?) guest-starred on B5. I thought that was a pretty clear message that B5 and Trek should be "friends".

rolleyes.gif
Ah, well. I must confess, I too didn't like the pilot to B5. But I also must confess that I had no idea how the characters would change. I think even more than the interesting plots, that is what hooked me on B5.

When I saw the first episodes I ever saw of B5 I thought "oh, this one is the villian, that one is the hero, she's the sexy and intelligent side-kick, he's the comic relief, etc, etc.

I had simply never seen a sci-fi series (or probably any other series for that matter) that really developed characters the way JMS developed his. It was inconceiveable to me, I think. Literally, I didn't even think of it because it was a non-concept to me.

Going back and seeing the pilot later, after I'd seen some episodes of B5 and after I'd even seen the pilot out of order once, I changed my mind. But it took awhile. I admit I didn't appreciate the pilot until I'd really understood that the characters had some drastic changes coming to them.

I think that's why B5 can be so hard to sell. It's not what it is "now" it's what is is now in relation to where it is going that is interesting.

Just for fun: A while back I wrote a long list of "cosmic similarities" between B5 and DS9. There were a lot more than I thought. Here's the link:
http://home.att.net/~droboogie1/farbeyond.html

Its about halfway down the page.

For the record, I think both shows are great,and I'm glad we got the chance to see them, and also glad they are both coming to DVD.

Sam

laugh.gif
That was funny. I never thought about most of those comparisons, either.

So, what to Imperial Stormtroopers do to their prisoners?
devil.gif
Put plaid pants on them?
wink.gif

I was watching one of the more epic DS9 episodes today during the daily re-runs... the one where Rom (the Ferengi brother of Quark) is in jail...

All I have to say is that his wife, Lyta, is a somewhat attractive, useless, wimp woman.

Bab-5's Lyta is a kick ass, beautiful, stunning, useful-part-of-the-story woman.

Give me B5Lyta any day. ;-)

-Tim

Back