• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Series on VHS

ellisar

I own the complete series on vhs. All 5 seasons. I'm thinking of selling them on ebay. Thought i'd try and guage the value of this series.

I just moved into an apartment and I don't have room for all the tapes in my new place. :(

They are all in great working condition. Most are still sealed in plastic.

If you have a minute please tell me what you think.

Thanks,

ellisar

No idea ... could be interesting to see. I offered my complete set to a large charity shop a couple of years ago, but they turned them down because they only take DVDs these days.

No, i don't think so. i think they are just the show, no extras or anything.
i had a subscription from columbia house videos. they sent me a tape every month or so.

I should have done this a long time ago before the dvd's came out.

I see a lot of auctions still on ebay. But for single tapes only or maybe smaller sets. Nothing like a whole season though.

No, i don't think so. i think they are just the show, no extras or anything.
i had a subscription from columbia house videos. they sent me a tape every month or so.

I was in the same club, and quit as soon as the Laserdiscs started coming out from Image Entertainment. BTW, I never sold my B5 Laserdiscs. Kept 'em because they showed 100% of the CGI frame, and at ~400 lines. Unfortunately, Image never came out with the whole set, because DVD was making inroads. However, I guess I could also say "fortunately." because I never spent the money on the rest of those Laserdiscs. <shrug>

For me, it's a case of never being able to have exactly what I want, which is B5 in DVD sets, in 4:3, exactly as broadcast, but in ~450+ lines of resolution. "You can't always get what you want."

I should have done this a long time ago before the dvd's came out.
Yeah.

I see a lot of auctions still on ebay. But for single tapes only or maybe smaller sets. Nothing like a whole season though.

Almost nobody wants tapes these days. The only tape that might be of interest is the original cut of The Gathering, which isn't on the DVD set or the test-the-waters DVD. One advantage of the tapes is that you get to see the full CGI (not cropped top & bottom like on the DVD sets). However, the resulotion is a lot lower than with the DVDs (~240 lines vs, ~450+ lines).

Realistically, the time to have sold them was years ago. I'd be in the same boat if I'd waited 'till this year to sell my photographic darkroom equipment and supplies, and my film cameras. Instead, I sold it all (except for my first Nikon, kept for sentimental reasons.) almost three years ago.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You may find somebody who wants the VHS set, but don't expect to get much for them when the DVD sets are going for a little over $40 apiece.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back