• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Novel Trilogies vs. Dune Prequel Trilogy

At this point, we've had three B5 novel trilogies done with the approval and involvement of JMS. These trilogies stick to, and help develop, the overall arc much better than 7 of the original 9 Dell novels.

I really enjoyed the Psi-Corps and Centauri trilogies; and am eagerly awaiting the third novel in the Techno-Mage trilogy.

As you may also know, Frank Herbert's son (Brian) teamed with Kevin J. Anderson to write a prequel trilogy to the Dune saga.

The third book in the series, House Corrino, has just been released. I just bought it, and found I couldn't put it down until I finished it (kinda blew to Saturday!).

So, has anyone else read the B5 trilogies and the new Dune prequel trilogy?

Care to do a "compare & contrast?"

What do you think?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I read both. I must get the new Dune book when it comes out in Britain.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewSwallow:
I read both. I must get the new Dune book when it comes out in Britain.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to dunenovels.com, House Corrino was published in September 2001 in the U.K. -- so you should be able to find it. It apparently came out on your side of the pond before it did in the U.S. Good luck!

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I've read two of the Dune prequels and will read the third as soon as the local library gets it in. Same applies to the Technomage trilogy only I'll buy the paperback.

I don't think I want to try comparing them, they are all a good read which is the most I ask of a book.

I do think Frank Herbert's son et al have done a tremendous job on following in the elder Herbert's footsteps. I can't imagine anyone emulating Tolkein and writing prequels to The Lord of the Rings.
smile.gif

------------------

Yes, I've actually enjoyed the 3 prequel Dune novels a lot more than the last "real" Dune novel.

BTW, I've heard that Anderson & Herbert are going to do another prequel trilogy -- this one actually about the Butlerian jihad.

Finally, we'll get to learn what all of this is about....

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Back