• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 and Important Parallels

I always wondered if JMS had the UN in mind when he came up with the idea for Babylon 5. One thing that makes me think that is the fact that both have a Security Council made up of 5 major members. The ones in the UN are the US, Great Britain, France, Russia, and China. The ones on B5 are the Humans, Narns, Minbari, Centauri, and the Vorlons. These groups both are or were the "superpowers" of the planet or the galaxy.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SigmaC13:
<font color=yellow>*jumps in to stir things up a bit*

<Usual caveat - I am not America-bashing. I am just pointing out an alternative view. Please don't hurt me! /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif>
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

If we jumped on you for having and opinion, making valid points, and havign an alternative viewpoint, then we would have leanred nothing from B5

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RW7427:
<font color=yellow>I always wondered if JMS had the UN in mind when he came up with the idea for Babylon 5. One thing that makes me think that is the fact that both have a Security Council made up of 5 major members. The ones in the UN are the US, Great Britain, France, Russia, and China. The ones on B5 are the Humans, Narns, Minbari, Centauri, and the Vorlons. These groups both are or were the "superpowers" of the planet or the galaxy. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I don't know if JMS intended it that way, but B5 was marketed/sold as the UN in Space. That was one of the first descriptions for B5 I read in Starlog.

Admiral Dave

Yeah. The B5/UN comparison was one of the first things that really stood out in my mind after watching B5 for the first time.

I had exactly the same reaction, but much more in the later seasons - questions of war and peace, 'humanitarian' issues, and above all, trying to get a consensus that won't just all fall apart and leave the galaxy in worse state than before. (Also how annoying it is to have your capital - in this case Earthdome - do extremely unhelpful things and instruct you to do extremely unhelpful things in the name of planetary interest.)

Unfortunately, it also seems very true to life.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by A_Ranger:
<font color=yellow>

If we jumped on you for having and opinion, making valid points, and havign an alternative viewpoint, then we would have leanred nothing from B5 </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Thank you, A_Ranger. I had forgotten than this is a B5 board, and that I stopped lurking because the posters here are unlike the nasty ones that I have come across in other places.
*faith in the world repaired somewhat*
*thanks the Maker for B5*

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SigmaC13:
<font color=yellow>
Thank you, A_Ranger. I had forgotten than this is a B5 board, and that I stopped lurking because the posters here are unlike the nasty ones that I have come across in other places.
*faith in the world repaired somewhat*
*thanks the Maker for B5* </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

LOL, Welcome up from down below

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back