• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 and DVD

D

**DONOTDELETE**

That kind of rumors depend on whether we *make* them true. I will do everything I can to make this particular rumor untrue.
smile.gif

I would agree that the poor performance of VHS tapes provides no indication of the series' performance on DVD. DVD has some inherent differences if compared to VHS:

- Lasts long, repeated viewing s possible.
- Nice image and sound quality.
- Region 1 disks are often used in regions 2 and 3.
- Season-by-season publishing of the X-Files succeeded.
- Season-by-season publishing is economical.
- Babylon 5 is now more widely known.
- B5LR will indirectly contribute to B5.

Thus I would say that the situation is promising. If we do buy the disks, express our opinion and suggest improvements to Warner -- and last but not least, inform others of Babylon 5's release on DVD.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

lennier, you missed the Number 1 reason why DVDs are more likely.

DVDs are Hot right now. Lots of people are buying them.

And, the REAL reason the studios love them?

DVDs are 40% more Profitable than tapes.
tongue.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

First of all, I'm sorry for my bad english. And so it begins.. I heard a tiny rumor one day and don't like it. I know that there will be "The Gathering" and "in the Beginning" on DVD soon. Ok, everything so far, but I heard that the series itself will not be released on DVD because their VHS-version didn't sell so good. So, is this true or not?

Thank you in advance.

------------------
Logical thinking - Perfect weapon

Stop listening to rumors, that's simply what they are. Warner Brothers has stated that they want to wait and see how the Begining/Gathering dvd sells and then based on that, decide to release the series. So buy the dvd and we'll get the sereis
smile.gif

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

No we can just sit here and hope that everything will be fine.. I ordered DVD some time ago and now just can't wait anymore!
tongue.gif
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeoKuutio:
No we can just sit here and hope that everything will be fine.. I ordered DVD some time ago and now just can't wait anymore!
tongue.gif
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can do a helluva lot more than sit here and HOPE, and order the first DVD.

If you live in Region 1, or can order and play R1 DVDs:

WRITE TO WARNER HOME VIDEO.
TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT.
DO IT VIA SNAIL-MAIL.

Here are some posts Joe D had up on the rastb5m:

Warner Home Video is talking about the *U.S.* VHS release, which came years
after the U.K. version and which sold so poorly that it was cancelled when a
little over half the episodes had been made available. Warner Home Video
(which is releasing the movie DVD in December) is only responsible for home
video releases in the U.S., and can only base its decisions on the market
here, which is very different from that in the U.K.

(Although the rocket-scientists in the WHV marketing department have no
excuse for thinking that the poor VHS sales in any way reflect the size of
the market for the show on DVD. When they first released the VHS tapes I
wrote to warn them that significant numbers of "B5" fans would pass on the
tapes in the expectation that the series would eventually be released on
DVD. When they publicly announced that the show *was* coming to DVD -
prematurely as it turned out - I wrote again to tell them to expect a sharp
decline in VHS sales. If I could figure this out, they should have been
able to, and blaming their indecisiveness on VHS sales is ludicrous.)

Regards,

Joe

Snail-mail is *much*
more effective than e-mail (which is not an option anyway, since WHV does
not publish its in-house e-mail addresses) or even on-line petitions.
(Although I have reason to believe that the "B5 Anamorphic Widescreen
Petition Site", which also encourages signers to send snail-mail, has had an
affect on WHV's thinking.)

Here's the address:

Mike Saksa
Vice President, US Marketing
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522

Let's get writing!

Regards,

Joe

Anyone interested in seeing the whole "B5" series on DVD, and in suggesting
special features and other things about the release, might want to consider
writing to some of the folks listed below. The studio tends to pay more
attention to snail-mail than to 'net petitions and the like. This is the
most up-to-date list of names and titles for responsible individuals at
Warner Home Video (U.S.), as of this very evening All can be reached at the
address below:

Mike Finnegan
Vice President
Editorial and Programming Services

Paul Hemstreet
Vice-President
Special Features/DVD

Michael Radiloff
Vice-President
DVD Marketing

Kristin Grosshandler
Manager
DVD Special Features

Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522

Regards,

Joe

WRITE TO WARNER HOME VIDEO.
TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT.
DO IT VIA SNAIL-MAIL.

Don't just sit there and hope. Take action.

smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 21, 2001).]

It seems like it would be a good marketing strategy to release the B5 DVDs at the same time that Rangers is on the air, sort of a double advertising assault.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
lennier, you missed the Number 1 reason why DVDs are more likely.

DVDs are Hot right now. Lots of people are buying them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Well, it makes sense when stuff comes out on DVD first now, before tapes, and that the DVD new releases are priced so much cheaper than new tape releases. About all I use pre-recorded tape for anymore is watching a movie, if I didn't catch it in the theaters, to see if I want to add it to my DVD collection.

It's also very nice not to have to rewind, or deal with crinkled tapes.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
And, the REAL reason the studios love them?

DVDs are 40% more Profitable than tapes.
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious, where did you get that figure, and how was it justified, if at all?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

A DVD, like a CD, is much less expensive to mass produce than its tape counterpart because tapes have to be recorded linearly and DVDs are pressed, like coins. Add to that the fact that DVDs tend to have a higher price point than VHS tapes (much like CD/cassette) and you can see the profit difference just from the replication standpoint.

------------------

KoshN, thanks for your informative post. I will indeed write to WHV and ask for a complete series of B5 on DVD. Who ever writes, remember to be polite and if anyone gets a reply please post it for all to see. Good luck to all. K'Pla

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nolesrule:
A DVD, like a CD, is much less expensive to mass produce than its tape counterpart because tapes have to be recorded linearly and DVDs are pressed, like coins.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't DVDs burned linearly, en masse, like tapes are recorded linearly, em masse?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Add to that the fact that DVDs tend to have a higher price point than VHS tapes
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif
Not most new releases of VHS tapes. When they first come out, they cost over $100 each (to hit the Video Tape Rental Places). New releases of DVDs are usually $20-$25 each.

One of the problems with VHS rental places starting a DVD section is that the've sunk soooo much money in the VHS tapes, they can't spare the money to continue VHS buying and start a DVD section. The owner of the local video store, where I've been a member since 1986, told me this. They have about 10,000 VHS tapes on the shelves.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anlashok1:
KoshN, thanks for your informative post. I will indeed write to WHV and ask for a complete series of B5 on DVD. Who ever writes, remember to be polite and if anyone gets a reply please post it for all to see. Good luck to all. K'Pla

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just trying to help the cause.
smile.gif
I was hoping it didn't come off as brusque. One of my old bosses bosses (not a repeat typo, two rungs up), accused me of being that way once. I have to guard against it, constantly, especially when surrounded by Pointy-Haired Bosses (a Dilbert reference).
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 23, 2001).]

I don't think he was refering to the price rental places have to pay for vhs but what the average consumer does. This has always been much lower.

The average new vhs now costs less than twenty bucks.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> DVDs are 40% more Profitable than tapes.

Just curious, where did you get that figure, and how was it justified, if at all?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newspaper story about Why the studios are putting a big sale push on DVDs the last few months.

The 40% figure was quoted as coming from one of the Studio marketing executives explaining why they love DVD.

As far as Why they are cheaper to produce, think about the length of time it takes to burn a DVD as opposed to recording a tape.

Add the much lower manufacturing cost: No Assembley Required, just stamp out the blanks. It's probably 50 to 100 times faster.
You can make 4 or 5 CDs from the same amount of Plastic as a Tape (and its box).

Lower Warehousing costs at both ends.
Less Raw materials.
Less storage space for the finished product.

Similar savings on Players.
A CD/DVD read/write mechanism is Much simpler and cheaper to build than a Tape transport.
Probably only 10% as many moving parts (unless you get into those 100 disk Jukebox players)
Less moving parts = Better reliability.
Easier to assemble.
Cheaper to build/assemble.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
I don't think he was refering to the price rental places have to pay for vhs but what the average consumer does. This has always been much lower.

The average new vhs now costs less than twenty bucks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the time of initial release?

I meant to compare the cost of new DVD to new VHS, both at the time they come out.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Yes at the time of initial release. Rental places have to pay rediculous amounts for movies so that they have the right to charge to let others see them.

In an average retail store new release vhs tapes are signifigantly lower.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

The part about being polite when we write to WHV wasn't aimmed at you KoshN, or anyone else. It just that honey attracts more flys than vinegar. I did write the letter to WHV yesterday and I included my e-mail address as a means of responding rather than relying by snail-mail, which they probabley wouldn't.
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anlashok1:
The part about being polite when we write to WHV wasn't aimmed at you KoshN, or anyone else.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I know. It's just that when I read some of my posts the next day, they come off as brusque, to me.

Also, it's very hard for me not to get angry, and shred somebody viciously, logically, albiet politely, when dealing with WHV people who think the drop in B5 VHS sales somehow forecasts future DVD sales.
mad.gif

I plan to write my letters, put them aside for a day, and read them again, then show them to others, and make necessary adjustments before they're mailed.

It's hard to be dispassionate about this. I just want to hit them across the face with a big, cold, wet fish. Whap! ...and then say, Wake up, you morons!
wink.gif
Visualizing that, I feel better now.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 23, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
I just want to hit them across the face with a big, cold, wet fish. Whap! ...and then say, Wake up, you morons!
wink.gif
Visualizing that, I feel better now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehee... I think you aren't the only one who wants to do so..
cool.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeoKuutio:
Hehee... I think you aren't the only one who wants to do so..
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I imagine I'd have to get in line for that honor.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Latest posts

Members online

Back