• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Attn: Warner Home Video

Somebody really needs to send them a copy of this article from today's New York Post.

In fact, I'm printing it out right now and I'm going to snail-mail it to them. It only confirms what I've been trying to tell them for almost four years, that the DVD business is not the VHS business when it comes to TV shows, and that they should stop applying out-of-date business models to 21st century commerce. Maybe they'll pay attention when they see a newspaper say the same thing.

(OTOH, they might wonder how accurate the article is since it gives the name of the senior vice president of marketing at Fox Home Entertainment as "John Staddon", when his name is actually "Peter"
smile.gif
)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522

laugh.gif

You can send the mail to "DVD Department" or to Mike Saksa Vice President, US Marketing. (I think he's still in charge over there, although they've been playing musical chairs for most of the last year, so this information may be out of date.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

The address supplied on the back of the dvd case is:

Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd
Burbank, CA 91522

A couple of paragraphs I'm going to highlight for them:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What doesn't work so well on DVD are collections that simply mimic VHS or don't take advantage of the extra capacity DVD has to offer.

"Star Trek" and "The Twilight Zone" - two of the few profitable series on VHS - have proven relatively moribund on DVD because they offer a skimpy number of episodes on each disc and stretch out the shows onto more than 40 volumes. That would mean paying about $800 to get the entire series - a staggering sum even for hardcore fans.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go forth and write, brothas and sistas...
wink.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

One other difference between DVD and VHS cassette is that VHS cassettes have the same quality as ones recorded of the TV in near mono for free. DVDs are widescreen with full stereo.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Somebody really needs to send them a copy of this article from today's New York Post.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And of course they'll believe everything they read in that paragon of journalistic integrity.
smile.gif

If they're even allowed to read it, considering that it belongs to the wrong conglomerate...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
(OTOH, they might wonder how accurate the article is since it gives the name of the senior vice president of marketing at Fox Home Entertainment as "John Staddon", when his name is actually "Peter"
smile.gif
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inaccuracies in the Post? Shocking.

------------------
-- Marty

Wow, all of Secret Agent available on DVD? Guess I'm finally going to bite the bullet and pick up a player. And I would really like to have The Monkees ep with Tim Buckley, but I don't really want to pay for the whole set. I all ready have all of The Prisoner on LD. Does anyone know if the DVD's have extras, like the alternate ep that never aired, or Canadian journalist Warner Troyer's commentaries on each ep of The Prisoner?

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

The Monkees will probably be released in season sets, or even half-season sets, so you likely wouldn't have to buy them all.

The A&E set of The Prisoner definitely includes the alternate version of "The Chimes of Big Ben." (This was a "preview" version of the episode distributed to the American press before the show's U.S. debut. It contains a diffent opening sequence, music, alternate scenes and takes and a different closing credits.)

I'm not sure about what other extras are included, because I have the British set (which was released about a year earlier.) I think that both sets have most of the same material.

My U.K. set lists:

The Prisoner Companion (documentary)
Original episode commercials
Original trailer for the series
Original ITC publicity materials
Production Stills Gallery
Biography of Number Six, and of each Number Two.
Prisoner Trivia

From the A&E home page it looks like the U.S. is about the same (except that it costs a bit more and is spread out over twice as many discs.
smile.gif
)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
Thanks, Joe. Be seeing you!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back