• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

ARG!

Elizar

Beyond the rim
I just get so mad after watching Crusade, because I just want more! I've finally come to realize that it won't be brought back on tv...so I want books or something! ARG!

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I get so mad when transferring Crusade from SVHS SP to DVD-R (on XP). I have three sets on SVHS SP and no matter how carefully I try to do it, I can't get one perfect cut of every episode amongst them. ARGH! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

At least you have the episodes. All I have is some measly low quality 320 x 240 120meg MPEG files from way back in the original TNT run days. So consider yourself lucky instead of whining about it not being perfection! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TJ

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by TJGuitar85: </font color>
At least you have the episodes. All I have is some measly low quality 320 x 240 120meg MPEG files from way back in the original TNT run days.

Why? It's been run once on TNT and four times on Sci-Fi. Why settle for 320 x 240 MPEG?

So consider yourself lucky instead of whining about it not being perfection! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm trying to make an "as close to perfect as possible" set on DVD (so that I won't always be dependent on having a working SVHS VCR). I had to buy a new SVHS VCR just to get these episodes and my Brimstone episodes off of SVHS and onto a more widely viewable format. It's just that after starting a DVD-R, if there's a flaw (a glitch in the video, pops and clicks in the audio, etc.), you can't go back and re-do it like you can with a tape, and so the $4.00 DVD-R is kaput (or you live with the mistakes).

To do the job right, I'm going to have to rewatch all three sets of Crusade tapes, making notes which SVHS Set/Episode/Act has flaws, and put together the best of what I have. And even that won't even guarantee success because yesterday the SVHS deck introduced a flaw (video glitch) that wasn't there when I looked at the tape again. It was right before the fade out of the next to last act of "The Memory of War." ARGH! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You're a perfectionist /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't you have the VCD's? Are they no better?

Why? It's been run once on TNT and four times on Sci-Fi. Why settle for 320 x 240 MPEG?

Because 320 x 240 MPEG looks a tiny better than the crappy EP tapes I made off TNT originally. and the tapes I eventually made off SFC, I either gave to someone or I lost them, or taped over, I dunno.

TJ

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Demon: </font color>
You're a perfectionist /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, a frustrated one.

Don't you have the VCD's?

Yes.

Are they no better?

No. The VCDs are nowhere near as good as my SVHS Masters dubbed onto DVD. The bit rate of of my DVDs is 10x that of the VCDs. There are no jaggies or any stuttered CGI action on my DVDs.

Because 320 x 240 MPEG looks a tiny better than the crappy EP tapes I made off TNT originally. and the tapes I eventually made off SFC, I either gave to someone or I lost them, or taped over, I dunno.

Ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I never, EVER loan out originals.

Most of the people I know personally are really, REALLY bad about returning tapes, and who knows what shape their equipment is in? "Not maintained and never cleaned" is a safe bet. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I loaned all of Crusade on two VHS tapes (EP, commercials cut) to somebody I was trying to get started on Crusade back in June. I STILL haven't got them back. I'll probably never see the tapes again, and I wouldn't doubt that somebody in that household has recorded over them (even though I removed the record-protect tabs). I have a few tapes loaned out to two other families (all relatives), and I'd bet that I'll never see them back either, and that they've recorded over them.

Most people are hopeless when it comes to returning anything. The sole exception so far was the guy in San Francisco who I let watch one of my sets of Crusade tapes. We were having a discussion about Crusade and he was coming off as against it. In the course of the discussion, it came out that he hadn't seen all the episodes. Now after seeing the tapes, he has a much more positive view of Crusade. (One victory among so many defeats. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

If and when you loan out anything, view it as a one way trip. Send only a copy, never the original.

Yea those anti-tape over things dont work for shit...all you od is put a piece of scotch tape over the hole and you can tape over.

If anyone got into my nirvana concert video tapes, I'd have to draw a PPG on them. and if that wasn't enough, i'd find one of those shock sticks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TJ

Hey KoshN, do you know if there's a way to convert a DivX AVI to VCD MPEG? I want to make a VCD of the TNT documentary "TNT Guide to B5" But I only have it in DivX 3.11 alpha AVI and I dont think you can put those on VCDs.

Yea those anti-tape over things dont work for shit...all you od is put a piece of scotch tape over the hole and you can tape over.

Yeah, but what kind of low-life, cheap SOB tapes over tapes that somebody else loaned to them, especially when the person went to the trouble to cut all the commercials from all 15 hours of it? ("A Call to Arms" was on there, too.) /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Hey KoshN, do you know if there's a way to convert a DivX AVI to VCD MPEG? I want to make a VCD of the TNT documentary "TNT Guide to B5" But I only have it in DivX 3.11 alpha AVI and I dont think you can put those on VCDs.

No, sorry.

All I have are all of the eps on crappy SLP tape. It sucks...but oh well for now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just get so mad after watching Crusade, because I just want more! I've finally come to realize that it won't be brought back on tv...so I want books or something! ARG!

Welcome to the club.

Yeah, but what kind of low-life, cheap SOB tapes over tapes that somebody else loaned to them, especially when the person went to the trouble to cut all the commercials from all 15 hours of it? ("A Call to Arms" was on there, too.)

Only an absolute moron would do such things. Sometimes I get pissed when I tape over stuff. I think I threw away my tape taht had Thirdspace, River of Souls and A Call To Arms on it. I have thirdspace on my computer, but havent seen the other 2 since sci fi aired em. Hopefully WB will release a TS/RoS DVD after S5, and perhaps someday a Call To Arms and crusade.

TJ

Plenty of programs that turn .avi to .mpg out there... TMPGEnc is the one I've used.

You might find this site quite helpful, I know I did. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you want to burn a VCD though, it's not enough just to have a mpg file... the better burning programs (Nero etc) have VCD as an option though, so you just tell it to burn a VCD and it adds all the other necessary files on its own.

All I have are all of the eps on crappy SLP tape. It sucks...but oh well for now
This makes me realise how lucky we've been in the UK, to have all 5 series of B5, the 13 episodes of Crusade, and all the TV movies sold on commercial VHS tapes. I know it's not as good as DVD, but it's a damn sight better than taping off the TV!

Right, no station logos, no commercials and no popups. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, could you please list for me which episodes are on which Crusade Tapes in the UK?

e.g.:

Tape 1: title
title

Tape 2: title
title

Tape 3: title
title

Tape 4: title
title

Tape 5: title
title

Tape 6: title
title

Tape 7: title

There's somebody on the Yahoo Babylon 5 Crusade group that can't stand Gideon but has only tapes 2 & 3. I'm trying to convince the person to watch the rest of the tapes and give Gideon more of a chance.

I have six of the seven tapes... just couldn't afford the last one, with the shipping and all it was too much for just one episode, for me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1.01. "War Zone" and "The Long Road"
1.02. "The Well Of Forever" and "Ruling from the Tomb"
1.03. "The Path of Sorrows" and "The Rules of the Game"
1.04. "Patterns Of The Soul" and "Appearances And Other Deceits"
1.05. "Racing The Night" and "The Needs Of Earth"
1.06. "The Memory Of War" and "Visitors From Down The Street"
1.07. "Each Night I Dream Of Home "

Back