• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Apocalypse Box...

Arrghman

Beyond the rim
apologies if this has already been talked about here... but do we know anything at all about that darned box besides that gideon won it in poker and it doesnt seem to like galen?

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Nope.

Unless you count the fact that Sometimes It Lies.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
frown.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Another reason why Crusade needs to be brought back in some form.
laugh.gif
We need to find out about what makes the box ticks. I'm also curious, though, about what the others would have said about the box if they ever found out. Especially Galen.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

A couple of other things we know, from JMS posts:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And in later instances when the box talks, it's Gideon's/Gary's voice. You may take that as foreshadowing if you wish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Also, no one else on the crew knows about the box. Well, officially. One other person knows about it, but he's not supposed to know. And Galen suspects something amiss from his passing comment at the end of the ep.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure I've also read a post where JMS says that Galen would be very upset if he knew that Gideo had an Apocalypse Box, but can't find the message at the moment.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 16, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
A couple of other things we know, from JMS posts:

I'm sure I've also read a post where JMS says that Galen would be very upset if he knew that Gideo had an Apocalypse Box, but can't find the message at the moment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, in the Crusade Bible, it said that if Galen knew about Gideon having an Apocalypse Box, Galen would take it and shove it out an airlock. I suspect he'd do so in hyperspace, and also use his Spell of Destruction on it, just for good measure.
smile.gif

I say IIRC because at the moment, it appears that some Shadow agent has made off with my Crusade Bible. It's not in either of the two places where it should most likely be.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 16, 2002).]

I have one of those cool little "poker chips" they used in the filming of that episode. I bought it from an extra on the show. It is a cool little blue triangle with some little lines on it. I have it framed on my wall. It looks neat.

------------------
Long live www.issbabylon.com

^ Neato, JackB. You're a very lucky person.

One thing the Apocalypse Box also did was give us the classic quote, "Things change...long time gone."

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

Joe,

*blinks* I NEVER noticed that. I think I need to watch those eps again and listen carefully. Frankly, I never could really tell what the box was saying. *L*

KoshN,

Um, I think that's bad....*nod nod* REALLY REALLY bad. I hope you find your book soon. I have a question though: What is the Crusade Bible like? How is it set up? What does it contain?

JackB,

Ohh, sweet!!
laugh.gif

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>What is the Crusade Bible like? How is it set up? What does it contain?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To partially answer your question (and for the benefit of those who have never seen one):

Every series has a "bible" or "writer's guide" that is used by freelance scriptwriters - especially before a show goes on the air, or into production, when they can't watch the show to learn about it. Although the organization tends to vary a bit (I've seen four or five over the years, no two of them alike) they all cover pretty much the same material:

Description of the basic premise and style of the show, including any necessary backstory.

Descrpition of each of the regular characters, ditto.

Discussions of the types of stories the producers do and don't want to see on the show.

Episode structure (does the show use a teaser and tag? How long should each be? Script lengths, use of opening narration, all that mechanical stuff.)

Often they'll include two or three line story synopses, both as a guide to the sort of story the show wants to do, and as a kind of menu the writers can choose from as the basis for their own scripts.

The bible is typically updated each season, to accomodate story and character changes.

I, too, have a copy of the Crusade Bilble around here somewhere (along with the Trek and B5 S1 bibles) but I haven't seen them since I moved two years ago. Probably still buried in a box somewhere.
smile.gif

The Crusade bible, being for a sequel, had to deal with the changes between B5 S5 (2262) and 2267 - as well as warning the writers off storylines that would interfere with events in the novels or "SiL" Hence the references to

(Spoilers for events between "Objects at Rest" and "SiL")

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>The deaths of Lennier and Lyta. The writers had to know that these two characters were not available for their scripts except in flashbacks.</font></td></tr></table>

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

The Apocalypse Box...on of my favorite topics of speculation.
laugh.gif

I have no answers but lots of questions:

1) Why the guy that had the box before Gideon was so anxious to get rid of it -
was it slowly sapping his life force or was it somehow merging with him? The fact that the box was supposed to start sounding more like Gideon the longer he had it is a sure sign that it is [GALEN] A BAD THING.[/GALEN]

2) Galen obviously suspects the presence of the box on board. If the series had gone on, wouldn't he have made it his business to find out whether Gideon had one?

3) The previous owner had only had it for a year and couldn't wait to get rid of it. This would indicate that Gideon might have had big problems in store by the end of the first season. MWAHAHA!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rhea (edited January 19, 2002).]

The list of what we know:

-it is very old
-it lies, not always, but just enough
-it caused it's last owner to run out in front of a scimmer
-it doesn't trust Galen
-and, it's down right spooky!

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> 3) The previous owner had only had it for a year and couldn't wait to get rid of it. This would indicate that Gideon might have had big problems in store by the end of the first season. MWAHAHA! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gideon had already had the Box for several years by the start of Crusade. He was Lieutenant when he won it, and ha already been a Captain for some time when Crusade started. That's assuming they don't give rooky Captain's command of Explorer ships
smile.gif

------------------
Demon

Spoilers for Legend Of The Rangers.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I have heard that the Box is Older than the Shadows but younger than Lorien. This would place them at around the same time period as the Hand. Could the Boxes be the key to releasing the Hand from their prison? This would help tie Rangers in with Crusade.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
Spoilers for Legend Of The Rangers.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I have heard that the Box is Older than the Shadows but younger than Lorien. This would place them at around the same time period as the Hand. Could the Boxes be the key to releasing the Hand from their prison? This would help tie Rangers in with Crusade.</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, what an interesting idea. Where'd you hear the bit about the age of the box (not that I'm obessesed with the box or anything. Not me. No way. Uh uh.
laugh.gif
)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
Where'd you hear the bit about the age of the box

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone (maybe Joe D. Martino) posted it from JMS, maybe from a usenet post. I'm not reallysure. The other rumors going around about it are

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> there are more than one box-maybe as many as 6. and in an unfilmed episode, it was going to screw around with Mathesons Telepathy.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
So come on rally round this brave and valiant cause with tradition, pride, and honor at its core. With swords drawn to defend stood these noble-hearted men. Faugh-an-ballagh, clear the way, me boys!!
-Dropkick Murphys: Heroes From Our Past

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
Where'd you hear the bit about the age of the box

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone (maybe Joe D. Martino) posted it from JMS, maybe from a usenet post. I'm not reallysure. The other rumors going around about it are

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> there are more than one box-maybe as many as 6. and in an unfilmed episode, it was going to screw around with Mathesons Telepathy.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
So come on rally round this brave and valiant cause with tradition, pride, and honor at its core. With swords drawn to defend stood these noble-hearted men. Faugh-an-ballagh, clear the way, me boys!!

"Once upon a time, there was Nothing. Nothing was all alone, because there wasn't anything to be with it of course. And then along came Lorien, who was The First One, and asked "What is your name?" and Nothing replied "I do not have one," because Nothing could not have something, or it would not be Nothing, it would be something. And so Lorien said, "Then I shall call you The Nameless One." At first, The Nameless One was happy. But the more it watched Lorien, the sadder it got. Lorien and the other First Ones had everything, and would not let The Nameless One have any of it. "Go away," the First Ones said, "We cannot talk to you, for you have no name. We can only play with things that have names." And The Nameless One was very sad. "I know," thought The Nameless One, "I will make Them and Everything else go away, and then I will be Nothing again, and I will be happy."

So The Nameless One gave names to parts of itself, which became Darkness, which we call Apocalypse Boxes, and sent them out into the Galaxy. And these Apocalypse Boxes were accepted by people who wanted technological marvels, religious and economic power, and even the perfect fear, and promised these people all of these things

And the Apocalypse Boxes and their Owners were all happy...

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back