• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Apocalypse BoX

Actually, I can't remember the story of the founding of Rome. Two brothers, Romulus and Remus? I just can't remember.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Romulus and Remus, yes, twins who were abandoned at birth and raised by a she-wolf. They were sent off...I'm missing this part of the story, someone help me out...and when they established their city, they warred...were there two cities to start with? Anywho, Romulus won, and had he not, all roads would lead to Reme.
smile.gif

(On topic? What's that?)

------------------
Just a moment!...my muse is speaking to me...

I was thinking about where the wives came from.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jenavira:
Romulus and Remus, yes, twins who were abandoned at birth and raised by a she-wolf. They were sent off...I'm missing this part of the story, someone help me out...and when they established their city, they warred...were there two cities to start with? Anywho, Romulus won, and had he not, all roads would lead to Reme.
smile.gif

(On topic? What's that?)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ack. This is quite a stuggle with my memory, but in building their city (one, not two), the two fought. Remus killed Romulus, and named the city Rome in his memory.

I think...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

According to my reference, Romulus & Remus built the city together but could not agree on a Name for the city. They called upon the Gods to give them a sign. Romulus got the sign and the city became Rome. This made Remus jealous and led to the dispute that ended with their fight to the death.

It's too long a story to retype. Besides, the reference book is copyrighted.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

this seems to have strayed a bit off topic, but just to further illustrate how variable myths can be, i'll give one of the stories i learned during my years of latin. there were a couple slight variations even on this that we went over in classes, but this is the one that sticks out most in my mind:

Romulus and Remus both worked to found the city, but Remus left the city for some reason (memory's a bit foggy here). while he was gone, Romulus was trying to get the wall built around the city, but people kept interfering by jumping the wall with horses. Romulus then declared that anyone jumping the wall would be killed. Remus returned with good news, and in his excitement, he jumped the wall with his horse, unaware of Romulus' new law. Thus, to set an example, Romulus had his brother executed.

As for the naming of the city, i can't remember the reason for that. possibly because Remus was dead before the city was finished? also, we were told, interestingly enough, that latin word for wolf ("lupus") had a less formal meaning of "prostitute".

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is actually hard for me to reconcile the teachings of Ghandi with the daily practices in many villages in that culture. If a woman discovers her baby is a female, she frequently aborts. There are villages that have no native women. I wonder what genetics will do to them in the long run, I really do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is worse than that. Societies with an excess of women can work - the men just have to run harems. The opposite is very dangerous. Men without women frequently turn to violence. The boys only rule will probably give India and China very aggressive armies. The boys are becoming men about now. Remember the story of the founding of Rome.

------------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Rape of the Sabine Women

The incident at the founding of Rome, where the problem of more men than women was solved by force, is called The Rape of the Sabine Women.

The story

Statue

Painting

I suspect that what India and China do will be bigger and nastier.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

[This message has been edited by AndrewSwallow (edited August 20, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back