• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

American Idol 3

GKarsEye

Regular
I never watched this before. My sister convinced me that the first batch of eps is really funny because of the bad auditions and that she doesn't watch the rest. She was right- I laughed my ass off.

Yes, I believe much of it is scripted. And, quite frankly, I don't think Simon is even that funny or that cruel. It's the bad singing itself that entertained me.

Ruminations on some of the contestants:

- Carrot top should have been eliminated for doing Dean Martin. I agree with Simon's distaste for gimmicks and wish he'd stick to it more.

- Scooter girl had a solid voice, but an awful delivery. Randy was right on the money when he told her to try Broadway, they go for that wacky over-the-top nonsense.

- Skat girl was someone who probably was trained or took lessons but had no natural ability.

- The chick twins were scary- just yelling over each other. That was the funniest part of the evening.

- The dude who sang "Unchained Melody" will be tough to beat. He has all the ingredients of a winner: a gorgeous voice (both naturally talented and probably with significant training), good looks, youth, charm, confidence, etc and so forth.

- I'm glad the host told the folks at the bar about the bet. Otherwise they wouldn't even listen to some strange woman that just strolled inside and starting singing. It's also great that they did it in New York, a city where folks ain't ashamed about letting you know what they think.

If I get home early enough tonight and my sis is watching it, I'll probably dig it some more.

hee, look, look, I'm participating in pop culture...

I watched the first two episodes of American Idol season three... but really can't click with it.

Firstly it should be called Embarassment Idol. Don't get me wrong, Pop Idol shows all the loony ones. But I felt with American Idol there was only a few good singers shown. I can't remember anyone memorable, just a few people that were let through. Most was just "look at the stupid people".

Otherwise it was okay, but just not the same as Pop Idol. Not sure why.

I do want Alan Ritchson though... the blonde guy with green top and jeans who stripped and was just well... perfection! Utter perfection. :D

And they don't show enough of Ryan Seacrest.

I don't watch it simply because of the previews I see for it..ALL THE TIME! They show the people that can't sing to try to get laughs, but it all seems so fake and staged. People like that would never actually audition as their friends and family would stop them from humiliating and making asses of themselves long before they got there.

I don't watch it simply because of the previews I see for it..ALL THE TIME! They show the people that can't sing to try to get laughs, but it all seems so fake and staged. People like that would never actually audition as their friends and family would stop them from humiliating and making asses of themselves long before they got there.

I dunno... I think some people genuinely do believe they are good. But then you also get this mentality in all walks of life with all careers. :D

Right, that's me giving in on American Idol.

I mean, come on! I just watched the third episode. 25 minutes before they even put someone through! Then it was 40 minutes in before there was another person put through. At which point they showed clips of three people being approved, but not showing us their auditions.

Add to this, with the judges keep walking out it ended up like something from Jerry Springer.

Another British TV programme that's been ruined by a US network.

Another British TV programme that's been ruined by a US network

What?! Doesn't England have its own Idol show? How the hell does another show "ruin" a previous one?

If you want to see the good singers, wait a week or so, after they pick the first round. I won't be watching because I don't give a shit about musically soulless pop wannabes who happen to have not-bad voices. I'd rather see an awkward buck-toothed Asian fella belt out a Ricky Martin song and performing awkward movements (what I assume was supposed to be dancing?) while sporting a 1950s Chinese stereotype haircut. Now that's entertainment.

I'm not sure of the details, but I believe that Simon started the Idol show in England first. Based on its success there, they brought it to the U.S. market and other countries as well.

I think "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" also started in the U.K. before coming to the U.S.

-Haze

But it was my understanding that there still is an Idol show in England. If I'm wrong, than I'm wrong. Oh well, as long as I enjoy it, that's all I care about. ;)

But it was my understanding that there still is an Idol show in England. If I'm wrong, than I'm wrong. Oh well, as long as I enjoy it, that's all I care about. ;)

We do indeed have a Pop Idol over here, the original to American Idol. We've had two 'seasons' of Pop Idol, one just recently finished. Hence, why Simon is back in the US doing American Idol.

And I agree with you on the laughing your ass off. I only enjoy watching the selection process and how hilarious some of the contestants can be. ;)

Angel

I meant the concept has been ruined. And it's a thing that happens a lot with UK to US TV. Latest is The Office. We'll see if that lasts longer than Coupling!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back